Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Holloway is going to be fighting Edgar and probably Aldo again real soon, because who the gently caress else
Is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Skip My Posts posted:

good way to raise your profile would be to beat up and finish a recent champion of a heavier weight class who lost his belt in a very close decision who was about to fight for that title again and has been destroying contenders in the mean time

A better way would be to fight the actual guy with the belt in that division who has expressed interest in coming down for the fight.

I mean, I hope Johnson fights TJ because it would be really good, but if he's gonna take the risk of fighting a bigger guy moving down who likely won't stay in he division and may not make weight then he might as well try to make the best of the opportunity.

Plus the whole

"you're fighting Ray Borg"
"I think Sergio Pettis is more marketable, what about him?"
"gently caress you, it's Ray Borg"
"What about ppv points?"
"I'm sure that can be arranged. "
"Cool"
"Just checked with the boss, he said that can't be arranged."
"So I'm fighting Ray Borg for no PPV points?"
"Actually, Ray Borg sucks, no one cares about him, you're fighting TJ Dillashaw for no PPV points"
"How about I fight Ray Borg and then a champions match vs Cody Garbrandt? And you give me PpV points."
"You're fighting TJ Dillashaw and no PpV points because you're little and nobody pays to watch little fighters."
"Then why does it matter who I fight?!"
"Actually were closing down the division, stay on hold so we can get you banking info to send your final paycheck, minus uniform deductions"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Have Dana and Johnson fight for the right to PPV points.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mayweather is also somewhere approaching average height whereas Mighty Mouse has to stand on his top toes to get on roller coasters.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Should have gone with "Cat Smasher Realty."

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kaddish posted:

The fact that Conor has talked himself into a boxing bout with Mayweather gives some clue as to the influence and leverage he has over IMG/Dana/UFC. It's pretty remarkable actually.

He hasn't actually done that though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Professional football is really really hard to play, probably big guys who are sort of athletic cannot just choose to play it and get paid a lot of money.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The countless rounds of sparring are probably worse for fighters brains, overall, than the punches they take in fights. That more closely resembles what happens to linemen in football, who generally don't take the really brutal hits to the head, but still seem to have massive brain problems later in life.

Concussions and getting knocked out aren't the only contributing factor to CTE. They may not even be the most important ones.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

canoshiz posted:

I'm pretty sure he had never actually played organized football before either, so the fact that he almost walked on to a NFL team is pretty nuts.

Stephen Neal beat Brock Lesnar in college wrestling then went on to play 9 seasons with the Patriots, winning a few super bowls in the process, despite not playing football on college.

However...that's not a normal thing and playing NFL or even high level collegiate football is really hard and it implying that any heavyweight could have just played another sport and made more money is really silly.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

canoshiz posted:

I'm pretty sure he had never actually played organized football before either, so the fact that he almost walked on to a NFL team is pretty nuts.

He played in high school.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

Brock Lesnar immediantly made it onto a nfl team by saying he'd like to be on a NFL team, as a 30 something man who hadn't played football in over a decade, then chose to quit and do MMA because they wouldn't make him a starter.

Hard to believe a man would pass on a chance to play for the prestigious NFL Europe Vikings.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

He was on the Vikings my dude.

He was on the Vikings for like two pre-season games and then got cut and offered a shot in NFL Europe.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

gotta feel bad for tj, in line for two title shots and both champs are ducking him

He just lost a title fight not that long ago, maybe he should have won that if he wanted more title fights.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

Going back to the Hague fight/death. I thought boxing had some rule where 3 knockdowns in a round is a TKO. Or is that kickboxing? If not, why the gently caress is that not a rule?

Depends on the state athletic commission and whether or not it's a title fight, and for which org. It's by no means universal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Street Horrrsing posted:

Seems like a great way to knock off a contender while not moving jds any closer to another title shot

If he can't beat JDS then he's probably not a very good contender.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

why not? you think jds is shot?

There's still plenty of guys at heavyweight he could beat, but I think if you can't beat him you're not going to beat Stipe, so I don't see any issue with him acting as a gatekeeper.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Forceholy posted:

I feel like we've done this song and dance of JDS being done before.

He hasn't won two fights in a row since 2012.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

hey'd offer him Borg and he'd be like "nah" until they backed up a truck of money to his house.

You know they'd just cancel the fight rather than pay him any more right?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DJ vs TJ would be dope as hell and I hope it happens, but I don't think TJ is much of a draw and I think people are really overselling how much beating TJ would help his image with casual fans.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

tesilential posted:

Disagree. Frankie draws nothing but a win over him is one of the biggest feathers in the cap in MMA. Same with Aldo.

A win over Borg is meaningless on its own. A win over TJ would be the highlight of MM career thus far.

It would be really impressive, but that doesn't mean that it would make anyone suddenly start giving a poo poo about his fights or that substantially more people would tune in to watch that fight instead of the Ray Borg one.

Also, no one cares that Anderson beat a bunch of bottom of the barrel dudes on his streak and no one will care if MM breaks the record beating Ray Borg or TJ. A record is a record.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Auron posted:

Thales Leites would like to have a word with you

Is the word "nobody cares about TJ Dillashaw either."

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

Bc he's not a guy who ducks big fights with a million excuses

It's definitely very tough to ask for a title shot in a division you've never fought in shortly after losing your own belt in your actual division to a cripple.. You've got to wonder how many guys would be willing to accept a free chance at a title shot like that. Only the strongest, surely.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah, makes you wonder why mighty mouse is so afraid to fight him

I don't wonder at all, I'd also rather fight Ray Borg than TJ Dillashaw if the money was the same. Who wouldn't?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

lmao the money isnt the same but at least you admit he's a coward

It's probably the same because it won't hit the points threshold and nobody who gets beat up professionally is a coward.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Auron posted:

DJ would 100% make more money fighting TJ; whether is contractually or through a backdoor deal. It wasn't going to be the main of a PPV anyways.

and yes its a coward move to duck somebody to fight somebody easier

Actually...he wouldn't. Or maybe he would. Who knows? We have basically no information about fighter pay beyond what But I'm going to choose to assume that Dana White, the guy who is full of poo poo every time he speaks, is still full of poo poo.

I also can't think of a single other instance where a champion in a division was told he had to fight a former champion from a higher weight class that had never fought at the lower weight class before. Has this ever happened?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Auron posted:

Who gives a poo poo if it ever happened before? That's a poo poo argument. They are the match makers looking to make a higher profile fight because his division is essentially cleaned out.

Yeah there's been multiple instances where fighters have been open about their purse not exactly being their pay; Cowboy has come forward on multiple occasions IIRC.

Yes, DJ wants to make money, then loving fight somebody that's going to make you more money and/or help your brand.

A fighter saying "my purse does not equal my pay" doesn't mean that all fighters also get those locker room bonuses, or in the same amount. The UFC intentionally keeps fighter pay obscure and uses those bonuses to discourage fighters collectively advocating for higher pay. Nobody knows what anyone makes, but everyone knows that Dana is a liar, all the time.

And it wasn't an argument, it was a question.

Skip My Posts posted:

at least you've moved on to accepting that he's ducking him

I've never said otherwise. I think h'd rather get his record against an easy touch and the UFC hasn't done enough to dissuade him otherwise because they don't really give a poo poo about flyweight. I think he'd probably fight TJ after he gets the record, but maybe not. But given how many champions try to avoid deserving guys in their own division I can't get too incensed about a guy not wanting a tough fight against a guy who has never even fought in his weight class.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

fair enough but i dunno why people are so invested in counting mighty mouse's money for him

I don't really care about his money except insofar as money is a good motivator and if properly motivated he'd probably fight TJ and it would be a good fight. But the UFC is instead going with their standard tactic having a fat red faced blowhard call one of their longest reigning champions ever a stupid lying coward who should just shut up and do what they tell him, and so here we are.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Auron posted:

so have we heard anything on when Cody is supposed to return so TJ can finally get a fight?

He could fight someone else.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

He's actually the shortest reigning champion.

Never seen his dong, can't confirm.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

he was gonna but the guy ducked him

There are only two other men in the 125 to 135 pound divisions combined? This is a problem!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

tesilential posted:

It'd be like if mcgregor cleaned our LW, then exchamp Woodley drops down and McGregor demands to fight Ross Pearson instead.

What's crazy is you calling other people MMA noobs (who still says this) while implying that Conor Mcgregor will ever defend a belt. But really, Conor would absolutely say Woodley hasn't earned his shot and demand a year off to play 1v1 vs Lebron on PPV and then fight Nate Diaz again on his return.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

tesilential posted:

I find it funny that some of the same people who think that 2 inches of height makes all the difference in a fight are the people stating that a number one contender dropping down from a bigger weight class is not a legitimate contender at a smaller weight class. That's leaving out the fact that 125 doesn't HAVE any contenders.

The next best guy is Henri Cejudo.

Sure, as long as you assume that the guy who has never fought at 125 can make the weight without significantly diminishing his ability to fight. Luke Rockhold would also be a really great contender at 170 under this assumption.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Anthony Pettis wasnt a big lightweight but he still hosed up his cut to feather. Trying to eyeball who can and can't comfortably make which weight doesn't work very well.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

tesilential posted:

Neither guy is a lock. One guy is at least a real person.

Debatable. TJ looks like he's made of slowly melting wax.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

TJ can definitely make 125 because he's small, which is why even smaller guys like John Lineker and Ray Borg never struggle to make 125.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Where is the post where someone said "I would rather see MM fight Ray Borg than TJ Dillashaw"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

Your only defense to tj not being able to make weight is to bring up other random fighters

Your argument is "well, we don't know he can't" which is also true of a lot of guys who've never fought at 125.

Maybe he can. Who knows? No one, because he's never done it.

• Locked thread