Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Surely the newspaper can give Caleb a more flattering photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Andrew Bolt posted:

DANCING POLICEMAN. TERRORISTS WOULD SMILE.

They call it "heart-warming". But this viral video of a policeman dancing during Justin Bieber's performance at the Ariana Grande benefit concert for the victims of the Manchester suicide bombing strikes me as disturbing.

We want people like him to protect and hit back - not go dancing and emoting.

What bull. Families grieving, funerals being held, troops in the street, police having to shoot to kill, extra security ... and we're "not bowed"?

You know who truly is not bowed when they see scenes like this?

The terrorists.

UPDATE

More dancing.

Seeing that makes me wonder if the West can really win in the end.

comments posted:

We've created a generation (or more) of man-children through shunning and shaming traditional masculinity. And we wonder why we're in this predicament. It's all very pathetic.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 5, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Could you make it any easier for your opponents to make unflattering comparisons between you and ISIS?

I'm just surprised that there's been multiple terrorist attacks -- which is Bolt's green light for full Islam bashing -- and this is all he can muster after one day. This and crying about Waleed Aly being more relevant than he is.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 5, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Was there a ww2 Andrew bolt crying for people to be more afraid during the blitz?

WW2 Andrew Bolt was telling Norwegians to embrace their new German masters.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Are there readership figures available for news outlets, including online?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Bogan King posted:

Mumbrela has your back. That's digital news anyway. Shouldn't be hard to track down regular TV numbers either.

Cheers.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

couldn't resist the display window's saucy pix

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

It's fascism the moment they resort to glitter spray.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Bolt posted:

If three Australian Patriots had attacked an ABC presenter in the street, that would be in every news bulletin, right? With much rage directed at thugs trying to silence debate?

Hmm. With the Left it's not the principle but the side.
:qq:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Isn't Ramadan not really a 'happy' time of year?

I don't know but this is the same marketing team that came up with Fresh in our Memories.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Is it a cause for alarm if my employment contract says the employer can increase/decrease my pay at their own discretion? There are no stipulations - that's literally all it says.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 10, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

norp posted:

Pretty sure that's not actually ok.
Send a query to FWA

Thanks.

I turned it down anyway when I found out they were paying minimum wage and approx. $8 less/h than people earn for the position on average.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I'm a monster who's on the dole and needs to vent.

I turned down a job as a sales/logistics coordinator because it was paying minimum wage when, based on my research, people on average earn about $25 for that position. I could've accepted less than that, but the employer wouldn't raise the pay and we parted on amicable terms. I contacted my recruitment agency to let them know and they said my Newstart might now be at risk of termination because I didn't accept suitable employment. I pointed out that this forces me to accept employment I don't want, which screws over the employer a few months down the road when I find better work and they've wasted time training me (this was a small business and I would have been running their whole office, so they would have ended up in a very lovely position). I pointed out that being forced into the job makes me less flexible in terms of taking calls/attending interviews for jobs I do want. I didn't point out that any employer who went through the agency and was aware of these terms could force people into contracts offering less pay than the position deserves. I also didn't point out that this could lead to me attending interviews for jobs I don't want and tanking them just so I'm meeting my obligations.

It's absurd. They know I'm actively trying to find work. I got interviewed and offered the job two hours after the agency told me about it. I liked it and would've accepted if the pay was reasonable. And now I might be cut off from assistance. I doubt Centrelink are going to appreciate the nuances of the situation.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

hooman posted:

This is unbelievably lovely and a perfect example of the system failing to provide for a person doing the right thing. Centrelink should be supporting job seekers getting the right job not getting "any loving job". It's totally missing the forest for the trees in terms of economic outcomes and going straight to kicking the poor.

gently caress.

Also you are right logistics co-ordinators are usually not a minimum wage role.
Thanks. I needed to hear someone say it's as lovely as it appears to me.

I have to wait until tomorrow to hear back from the agency. I might be okay on the technicality that I've said I'm looking for full-time work and the position was part-time (for some reason the employer told the agency it's full-time when it was only 20 hours). Also, they were only paying $13 during the training period, which has to be illegal? Hopefully the agency consider this and doesn't forward anything to Centrelink, but who knows.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

open24hours posted:

It's only legit if it's part of an actual training program with a corresponding qualification.

I'd make a complaint to Centrelink about your JSA and tell them that they pressured you into accepting illegal work.

Wow, thanks. The agency wasn't aware of the illegal training rate when I mentioned it, so hopefully when they call me back tomorrow they'll accept my refusal to sign the contract as not breaching my obligations. Surely they won't say something like "You should have informed us of the illegal rate so we could contact the employer and have them amend the contract." Surely I had recourse to reject it on the spot.

Otherwise I'll definitely do what you said. I'll be transferring to a new agency regardless.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 13, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Do recruitment agents get commissions when they successfully find an employee for an employer? I'm just wondering whether they have an actual stake in this that might explain why they suddenly became such assholes.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Korgan posted:

Please update on what the JSP says tomorrow. I'm going to have to go back to dealing with one shortly, after being with one JSP for the maximum allowed time and finding a job through them. Coincidentally, my job stopped giving me hours when I was no longer on the JSP's books. Gonna be fun times ahead. :suicide:

Sure, will do.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Waiting to hear back from the job agency about whether they're going to tell Centrelink I turned down suitable employment. The only factor that has any play on the "not suitable" front is the $13 training wage, which they're checking the legality of. They scoffed at me when I pointed out the employer was operating a forklift without a license -- which would have put my safety at risk since I would also be working in the warehouse, and which left me unclear on where this lands me legally -- saying that was for Workcover to deal with.

They said "If the training wage was legal you'll be cut off Newstart for 8 weeks," in the most blasé manner possible. They don't care that I didn't understand I wasn't allowed to reject a job if the pay was unsatisfactory. I understand this is my fault, what I mean is they're acting like I cheated the system when I honestly made a mistake. They told me to stop getting annoyed at them when I'd try to raise counterpoints. All my concerns were stonewalled by them reciting the "refusing suitable employment" process.

pray for me

snoremac fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 14, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

open24hours posted:

Complain to Centrelink directly and mention the forklift etc.

That's my next step regardless of the outcome. I'm changing agencies ASAP.

I haven't threatened them. Personally, if the pay was reasonable I would've accepted the job and stayed mum about the forklift stuff. I only argued the point because their entire argument hinges on a legal technicality so I was just trying to give potential legal reasons why the employment isn't "suitable". But despite technically being an unsafe work environment and that I'd be abetting a crime, the agency doesn't give a poo poo.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I got off due to the illegal training wage. They were suddenly very chipper and kind. Haven't slept since yesterday and I'm too tired to process what that means.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

hooman posted:

That's great news, and I'm glad to hear it.

Thanks.

I spent the last 24 hours poring over my rights. If I don't get a job I can at least look forward to telling a job agency I'm doing voluntary work instead of Work for the Dole. That will feel good.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Periphery posted:

Nice.

If can you should report the business to Fair Work and Workcover. They were trying to scam the system to force people into a job for unfair pay in an unsafe work environment. gently caress them.

Yeah I'll definitely do this tomorrow once I can think straight. I felt iffy about it at first since on the surface the employer was very nice, but considering the details he's a real piece of work.

I'm curious whether the job agency had any hand in the contract or not. It's possible they're doing this to other people (underpaying them) so I'd be a prick not to report it. I did receive one job opportunity from them in the past that was paying a good rate, but it was a multinational corporation who would have had their poo poo together.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

My saga with the job agency continues:

I just got a text alert from them, which I assume they forwarded to everyone because it's advertising the same job I just turned down. In my contract the job was called "Administration, Sales and Logistics Coordinator" but it's being advertised here as "Sales Admin/Storeperson". This is just after I kicked up a stink with them about sales and logistics coordinators earning far more than minimum wage. I guess they're redefining the job so it appears as one that offers less on average. Admittedly, I don't know if they originally advertised it in the same way, or if they're really bound in an SMS to accurately title the position.

Logistics were a major part of the job as it was explained to me by the employer. I would have basically been in charge of arranging transportation of all their products on an interstate level. This is on top of processing sales, dealing with their clients, and running the office and warehouse. It's far from menial and carries a lot of responsibilities. If they have changed the position's title, it's very shady in my opinion.

Anyway, about my job agency, I'm waiting to hear back from the Unemployment Union about what I should do. Specifically who I can report to about the agency almost trapping me in an illegal contract and interpreting the job as suitable employment despite the employer operating a forklift without a license in the same warehouse I'd be working in. I didn't mention this to the union, but someone in this thread mentioned reporting this to the media and I was thinking about that. I'm wondering if I could set my phone on record and have the agency clarify to me that they interpret a job with an unsafe work environment as suitable employment, ergo they knowingly send their candidates into unsafe work environments. And then I'd forward that to The Guardian or something.

I'm just spitballing. That might not even be legal and maybe I just need to be talked down because I'm pissed off. What do you think?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Endman posted:

Depends on state laws regarding privacy as to whether you can record someone without their knowledge

Just checked and it's legal in Victoria for protection reasons, but can't be published without the consent of both parties.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Is email possible for communication?

I'm not sure.

I suppose it might be legal to give a media outlet a recording and have them report on it but not publish it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

hooman posted:

Definitely talk to the union about what your legal recourses are. Do not turbofuck yourself over these shitheads.

Yeah, you're right. Thanks y'all for the advice.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

wtf is this caleb bond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHx5NZxt55Q

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Mordialloc posted:

Hi folks,

Following from the discussion a couple of days ago about employment service providers, I'm looking to employ someone in a month or so on a casual basis in my business but I don't want to use a provider that is shady/fucks job seekers. Are there any good/decent/not blood sucking ones?

About the job: Handyman work in Canberra, 2-3 days a week.

I can't answer your question, but as someone who's looking for work I mostly check advertisements on Seek and other job search websites. So that's an option if you want to avoid providers altogether.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6VJpjjEi_o

We were Americans and you were freakin' communists!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Bolt posted:

Turnbull must surely know Trump is thin-skinned. He must also know that Trump is so fiercely embattled that sticking up from him could inspire a useful gratitude. And he must certainly know that Trump has the power to make or break Turnbull's dumb refugee swap deal with the US. So which put all that at risk just to get a laugh from journalists?

what a cuck

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

hooman posted:

Comedy is Andrew Bolt getting glitter bombed.

Comedy is Andrew Bolt getting glitter bombed and then lionising himself as a tough guy. His ego was so jacked by this he's auctioning off the glitter suit as memorabilia of "The Battle of Lygon Street". To his credit, morons are actually paying thousands for it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

snoremac posted:

Comedy is Andrew Bolt getting glitter bombed and then lionising himself as a tough guy. His ego was so jacked by this he's auctioning off the glitter suit as memorabilia of "The Battle of Lygon Street". To his credit, morons are actually paying thousands for it.

More to this point, it's strange that Bolt's book was a total flop and yet his fans kept posting photos of it near landmarks all around the world (Bolt used this to promote the book on his blog). Does he have a really dedicated bunch of rich fans? Or were the miserable book sale numbers a fabrication of the totalitarian Left?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Lid posted:

He's alongside Billy McMahon for worst PM in history and that's the entire shortlist. To know that every rival PM in his political career, no matter how much they are frauds, gently caress ups, or powerless will be remembered more fondly and better than him must be loving his ego. He's trying to save his wikipedia article section under "Legacy".

I wonder if he's insulated from the truth by the soothing praise of sycophants like Bolt.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

So uh, is my job agency just loving with me by making me attend 13 appointments a month now? I've been on Newstart for 10 months but surely this is way beyond my minimum requirements? Already fired an email to the DoE for clarification.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Hobo Erotica posted:

Do they set you up with the appointments or do you have to find them yourself?

They set them up. According to them, once you've been on the dole for 10 months you need to attend 3 job search appointments a week, which basically amounts to me job searching in their computer room for 1 hour instead of doing it at home. Just a waste of time and petrol with no benefit I can think of. 1 day a week and I'd bite my tongue, but 3 is absurd.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Korgan posted:

They're loving with you. I have to attend appointments with my provider once a fortnight at the most. And yeah, the "job searching" they "provide assistance and facilities" for is a loving joke. Years back I was having to come in once a week to use their computers for job searching. PCs running outdated windows, slowest internet connection so your searches take forever (but it's ok, here's the local paper on the table and oh someone took the job section with them, welp), grimiest loving keyboards and mice you ever saw. Walking into that room was the most humiliating, demoralising thing. I finally found a job through no assistance of that useless pack of shits and they had the gall to mail me a satisfaction survey and then ring me once a week to remind me to fill it out and return it or otherwise my personal agent would get a low mark.

Thanks - this was my gut feeling. Hopefully I can get the DoE to speak on my behalf and put a stop to it.

They are really annoying people, obsessed with the processes they've memorized without any ability to just be reasonable for two seconds. I'm sick but went to my normal appointment today (it's an in-and-out thing). They tell me about this new 3-appointments-a-week and say it starts tomorrow. I tell them I'm sick and ask if they can push the appointment forward to next week; they say no, we're scheduling it and you must attend unless you can provide a doctor's certificate. So I went to the doctor and got a certificate saying I'm not fit to attend any more appointments for 2 weeks. They then sent me an email saying they'd let me off this time but next time I must get an official Centrelink doctor's certificate (something like that), despite having not mentioned this in the first place.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 28, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Convicted racist upset there are too many Aborigines

quote:

I was sued by activists insisting no one could choose their "race". Yet the latest Census suggests 40,000 just did. There are now 649,171 Aborigines counted, compared to 548,368 just five years earlier.

The ABS believes there are actually 786,689 Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders after adjusting for undercounting.

On the counted numbers alone, that is 18.4 per cent growth - more than can be explained by the birth rate.

On the estimated numbers the growth is a 17.4 per cent since 2011.

In contrast, the rest of the population grew by 8.8 per cent, and with the help of immigration.

Some might assume it's fashionable to identify as Aboriginal among people who have a choice. Or there are more financial benefits in doing so.

ANU researchers Nicholas Biddle and Francis Markham say:

There are several reasons for the rapidly growing visibility of Indigenous Australians in our population statistics.

The first is the natural increase of the Indigenous population. On average, Indigenous Australians have a slightly higher number of children than non-Indigenous Australians.

In addition, the children resulting from relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians often identify as Indigenous, accelerating the growth of the Indigenous population. However, even after taking these factors into account, the Indigenous population was projected to reach no more than 746,815 by 2016 – around 40,000 people fewer than the latest census-based estimate.

While we won’t know how accurate the assumptions underlying these projections were for some time, the probable explanation for the “extra” 40,000 Indigenous people is that some individuals who chose not to identify as Indigenous in 2011 decided to identify as Indigenous in 2016.

Interestingly, the biggest growth is in Victoria - 25.8 per cent. That's presumably where intermarriage rates are higher. It's also our most Left-wing state.

That suggests a real public policy issue. With such huge growth in people identifying as Aboriginal - and in richer states - the demographic profile is being changed.

When we now measure progress in education, for instance, we must be careful to adjust for the fact that there are now many more children being included who would have not been included before. They are more likely to have fewer Aboriginal ancestors and to come from more mainstream families in urban areas.

That means the statistics may exaggerate progress for Aborigines in more traditionally Aboriginal areas.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 30, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Sad Wendigo posted:

I had similar a couple of years back, with Max Employment, the evil fuckers.
But from what I could gather this hour on their PC's was instead of spending a week in a seminar learning how to better find a job, as if they could actually help a person. Of course the government was giving them a shitload of money on the pretense of training me for a week.
In the end I did my job hunting at home before I went in, with the jobs I applied for on a list with me. I copied that list on to their approved form at their office, handed it to them and walked out.
They were fine with this arrangement.

Dammit, even just remembering my dealings with Max Recruitment gets me really angry.

For the record, the DoE told me my agency can set as many appointments as they like so I'm now spending 24 hours a month in their offices to apply for 20 jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Hobo Erotica posted:

He doesn't actually sound very upset... Are you disputing something in particular in what you posted?

I'm disputing that people choose to identify as Aboriginal for financial gain. I think if anyone is choosing to identify as Aboriginal now who didn't in the last census (assuming this is even a thing - I sure as poo poo know Bolt didn't crunch the numbers) it's because our racial climate, wherein Adam Goodes is reviled nationally because he did a cultural dance, is still more friendly to Indigenous people than it was in the past.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 30, 2017

• Locked thread