Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Was Bolt one of the ones who criticised Joyce for making a big deal about the pie to the face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The UK election parallels to the Aus election last year are interesting.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Would anyone be surprised if this is the issue that finally finishes off Turnbull?

It's like we're in some Quantum Leap hijinks where the timeline is going to be set back how it was meant to be.

Turnbull tries to do something slightly good for the climate, gets rolled and Abbott takes over. Leads them to the next election where this time he gets absolutely hammered and we hopefully get to see him cry on live tv.

It's how things were meant to happen the first time around, the universe is just righting itself.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lid posted:

Channel Ten has been forced to go into voluntary administration after its billionaire shareholders told it on the weekend they would no longer guarantee a key loan.

Not surprising, watched Ten for the first time in ages on Monday night and that Have You Been Paying Attention show had Medibank advertising inside the show itself.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The first Adelaide goonmeet I went to (well Auspol goonmeet) was at Nandos.

Good peeps, so despite not eating meat I'll give Nandos a pass.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

open24hours posted:

I understand the rationale behind the ownership restrictions, but I don't understand why there's such a high barrier to entry for TV. Surely it isn't that there are only five companies interested in running a TV station in Australia? I guess it's all academic now that internet speeds are fast enough for streaming video.

The airspace is valuable and it can be sold for more elsewhere. See how the government are pulling community tv off the air this month.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

Meanwhile, in The West,

Say what you will about Jack, he gets the job done.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, there are tons of good pubs in Adelaide CBD with no pokies. The Austral, Crown and Anchor, Exeter, and Grace Emily are all decent places to drink with not a pokie in sight.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hobo Erotica posted:

What about the I love green guide letters podcast

I do love it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That BS "Refugees are getting more money than pensioners!" image is doing the rounds on Facebook again, so if you see it pop up here's the link to discredit it:

http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BN/2012-2013/AustGovAssistRefugees

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Futuresight posted:

I still don't see why GST had to have exemptions. This picking and choosing business just adds a whole bunch of stupid poo poo to argue over.

Because the GST is a regressive tax. For living hand to mouth a uniform 10% tax on all goods and services is essentially just an extra 10% tax on their income.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Futuresight posted:

No I get that the GST was a regressive, lovely tax. But the better response would have been to adjust income taxes on the lower brackets and increase welfare.

That's the same logic that results in lovely unions giving up worker rights in exchange for a slightly higher hourly rate.

Spoiler: What always ends up happening is that over time those improved rates diminish until they are left on the same equivalent pay they would have otherwise had with less rights.

The same thing with welfare and taxes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

It was a promise that they wouldn't do a gst but they had such a raging loving bone on for it that they did it anyway.

To be fair to Howard, he actually did go to an election saying that he had changed his mind on the GST and would bring it in if re-elected.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You Am I posted:

Close down all private schools, divert money to all public schools, as private schools push the bullshit classism that shouldn't exist in Australia.

And while we're at it, close down all inner city golf courses and turn them into either public parks or low cost housing for people.

Remember people: More Love, Less Andrew Bolt.

Counter point, the North Adelaide golf course is lovely and it making money means that section of the parklands is much nicer than it would otherwise be.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tony Abbott, reduced to retweeting radio interviews where he complains about Pyne supporting Turnbull.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

God I hope Abbott never quits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Either he deeply believes anyone would trust him as PM again, or he knows deep down it will never happen but has nothing else to strive for. Either way it's glorious to watch.

• Locked thread