Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't seen what they're doing in the movie but Kirby Steppenwolf would look absurd and not in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Er, I think you accidentally posted a shot from the end of Spawn instead.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think that's how they define themselves, no

Not define but Eurocomics and manga are traditionally a haven for people who hate interconnected universes.

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't seen what they're doing in the movie but Kirby Steppenwolf would look absurd and not in a good way.

A cruel, goldskinned warrior with glowing red eyes wearing pseudo-medieval nobleman garb leading a pack of demon dogs could look cool as hell if done right.

It's certainly better than the lovely "skinny HR Geiger meets Transformers" look the DC movies Apokolips stuff seems to have. Like is Virman Vundabar gonna look like the Cloverfield monster?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Not define but Eurocomics and manga are traditionally a haven for people who hate interconnected universes.

A cruel, goldskinned warrior with glowing red eyes wearing pseudo-medieval nobleman garb leading a pack of demon dogs could look cool as hell if done right.

It's certainly better than the lovely "skinny HR Geiger meets Transformers" look the DC movies Apokolips stuff seems to have. Like is Virman Vundabar gonna look like the Cloverfield monster?

A hope is that they give Steppenwolf a "human form" like they did with Aries.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

redbackground posted:

Er, I think you accidentally posted a shot from the end of Spawn instead.

Nope, that's from this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWda4GTglmo

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nope, that's from this scene:

thank goodness you arrived to over-explain my lovely joke

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Steppenwolf was never cool but man, that is still quite a downgrade.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Guys that was a Steppenwolf image from a Mother Box. I would be surprised if he looks exactly like that in the movie. He's obviously wearing a helmet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I really thought it was Steppenwulf, because Kirby loved to do the weird semi-mispellings for Apokalips stuff, up to and including the planet itself. I learned something today!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Since they now have an actor for Steppenwolf, his look will probably be very different.

Even if they go the Loki route and just have Mance Raider walk around in human form and only summon his armour for a fight at the end.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Never got a chance to publicly thank those who sent us rings!

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Howdy folks my name is Avian Pneumonia and MY GIRLFRIEND just inherited a bunch of comic books from her father who recently died.

Thing is that these comics include a bunch of really valuable comics?

The photos she's sent me include an Archie comics #1, Archie's Girls: Betty and Veronica #1, and Archie's Pal: Jughead #1.

I know not much more than the average early 30s American about comics and I know NOTHING about the process for determining the value and selling such things.

What the hell should we do? We first need to get them graded by a professional but there are different organizations? And then where to sell it? I've been ripped off on ebay before and am cautioning against it but I'm also weary of some of the auction houses that are being mentioned as I'd imagine they'd take a big cut.

Help?

Is this even the right thread? Apologies if there's a better spot for this to be.

Avian Pneumonia fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

omnibobb posted:

Never got a chance to publicly thank those who sent us rings!

You're welcome and your son's face is killing me.

"Daaaaad I'm tired of playing Lantern Corps with you!"

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh wow Judge Owl. That's something I haven't thought of in a while.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo Squirmy the Worm looks hella racist.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Rhyno posted:

You're welcome and your son's face is killing me.

"Daaaaad I'm tired of playing Lantern Corps with you!"

You'll stop as soon as you memorize all the oaths!

Actually, he wanted a "serious super hero" face.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"The Mirth of a Nation"?

Also the girl's tiny hands on that B&V cover are freaking me the hell out

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Howdy folks my name is Avian Pneumonia and MY GIRLFRIEND just inherited a bunch of comic books from her father who recently died.

Thing is that these comics include a bunch of really valuable comics?

The photos she's sent me include an Archie comics #1, Archie's Girls: Betty and Veronica #1, and Archie's Pal: Jughead #1.

I know not much more than the average early 30s American about comics and I know NOTHING about the process for determining the value and selling such things.

What the hell should we do? We first need to get them graded by a professional but there are different organizations? And then where to sell it? I've been ripped off on ebay before and am cautioning against it but I'm also weary of some of the auction houses that are being mentioned as I'd imagine they'd take a big cut.

Help?

Is this even the right thread? Apologies if there's a better spot for this to be.

If you want them graded, CGC is pretty much the only option worth bothering with.

As for selling, ebay is probably your best option, despite its issues. Just make sure to document everything you do.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The Betty and Veronica is already listed on eBay so I'm not sure what your game plan is.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/263051927734

The writing on the cover is identical as are the spine creases around the staple by the V and by the A.

The first thing you did was list them on eBay despite saying you don't want to use eBay? I've been ripped off too, but I don't have a 4700 rating either.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Heathen posted:

The Betty and Veronica is already listed on eBay so I'm not sure what your game plan is.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/263051927734

The writing on the cover is identical as are the spine creases around the staple by the V and by the A.

The first thing you did was list them on eBay despite saying you don't want to use eBay? I've been ripped off too, but I don't have a 4700 rating either.

Looks like she posted a few of them already through a third party poster.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Don't grade anything unless you have a rough idea of what the grade is and the value after grading. There's a lot of comics that are valuable but you almost end up losing money because of the grading.

I usually estimate it's about 40-60 all said when grading books (including grading, return shipping and I usually pay the extra $10 for rush) for a blue label (standard grading). If a 9.8 sells for $100 on ebay, chances are very low I'd make that money back if I sold.

Plus, you're talking probably 2-3 month on the fast end w/o your book so keep that in mind.

For judging how much a book is worth, ebay's the best way to go. Just look and see what the average is for actually sold book. No one cares if it was listed for $1000 if it only ever sells for $200.

And unless you're gonna sell them to a local shop (which will get you probably 60% of the value on the high end), ebay is the best way to go. You can do a real auction house (comic connect, heritage) if you think the book is really worth something good but for fast turn around, ebay can't be beat, despite issues.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
My parents are moving, so I went to pack up what of my crap I had left there. My dad told me to take the boxes of comics he had collected in his youth as he had to clear the space, and my brother and I had grown up reading them anyways so they were pretty beat to poo poo by now. I hadn't looked at those boxes for a good 16 years at least though, so it was pretty fun to dig through one of them this evening and see what was there. It was a combination of Dad's old comics, 80s Gladstone comics from when I was a little fellow and other 90s detritus that had collected from the time I had grown up. I pulled out a few gems to take some snaps of this evening.

First off, some kracking Kirby kovers:

I guess the old man wasn't keen on Don Rickles?

poo poo drat

Wish the cover was still on this one, bummer

And some other oddities and delights:

The Ten-Eyed Man has a place in my heart

hell yeah Prez

70s post-apocalypse was so dope, Killraven as well

Not much to say on this one

yeah Stingray

Boomerang's costume was mad goofy

Kubert cover, Kirby interiors

Not a 70s comic, but drat what an issue

yeahhhh

Those old Spectre comics were so great- people just getting hosed up left and right in horrifying ways. I didn't flip throught it, but if memory serves a criminal hairdresser gets cut in half by giant scissors

Last seen in Nextwave, I believe

Weird Worlds was such a great, if schizophrenic book.

SUDDEN-DEATH SHOWDOWN

RIP Captain Stacy

Neal Adams' X-Men were really something else

They were talking about Tiger Shark in the Marvel Handbooks thread and it reminded me of him

Iron Man vs Commie Iron Men (and the Crimson Dynamo is such an amazing name)

My favourite Wonder Woman

And of course, the answer to the world's problems:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is there the complete Fourth World in there?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I don't think it's complete, but if memory serves most of it's in those boxes somewhere.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thanks for sharing those. I love getting looks at old comics and it makes me wish I still had my brothers old comics. I like to think that in 20 odd years my kids would be posting my comics on some dead forum.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was re-reading Final Frontier on Tom Scioli's site and I saw that he answered someone in the comments when asked who his favorite hero and villain were.

Tom Scioli posted:

Favorite hero: Orion. Favorite villain: Darkseid.

That is like the perfect answer coming from a guy who's such an obvious Kirby fanboy. :allears:

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
I know it's probably not the popular choice, but I think Final Frontier is my favorite Scioli comic. Admittedly, I haven't read all of GI Joe/Transformers yet.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Benito Cereno posted:

I know it's probably not the popular choice, but I think Final Frontier is my favorite Scioli comic. Admittedly, I haven't read all of GI Joe/Transformers yet.

American Barbarian is so good, but I'll grant Final Frontier a close second. I haven't read GI Joe/Transformers or Gødland yet, though.

Everything I see about GI Joe/Transformers looks completely insane, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone is dying in the next issue of Archie and they're hinting that it's Betty. Which is probably bullshit but hey, whatever

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/06/tragedy-hits-riverdale-in-archie-22-check-out-a-first-look-preview-here/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hope it's Veronica.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

I hope it's Veronica.

https://youtu.be/LAtl1L75uHc

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Someone is dying in the next issue of Archie and they're hinting that it's Betty. Which is probably bullshit but hey, whatever

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/06/tragedy-hits-riverdale-in-archie-22-check-out-a-first-look-preview-here/

Gonna be Dilton. No-one will care.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Huh, I thought they weren't going through with that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

They sent out PRs to retailers saying we should all up our orders on the next issue.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Im glad afterlife with Archie is finally getting a new issue.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Im glad afterlife with Archie is finally getting a new issue.
Is it really or are you making a joke based on the other Archie stuff? Because if you just got my hopes up imma cut you :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Mark Waid specifically said in an interview he wasn't killing anyone. So I think they're just hyping it to hype it.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/archie-reveals-the-victim-of-its-tragic-over-the-edge-s-1796223305

quote:

Archie has done tragedies on this level before, but they’re always out of main continuity. What was the pressure like pitching this storyline knowing how it would impact on the current Archie universe in such a huge way?

Waid: It’s funny, because I feel like I’ve spent more time explaining that we’re NOT killing anyone than talking about the real story here—which is to showcase how these characters handle themselves under extreme, stressful circumstances. This is a story about what happens when we make small, poor decisions and they end up having big ramifications. I’m more interested in showcasing how these characters evolve and respond to tragedy than just killing someone off for the shock value.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It's a fakeout, and Homer just couldn't stay out of Riverdale :ohdear:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Is it really or are you making a joke based on the other Archie stuff? Because if you just got my hopes up imma cut you :(

A joke since afterlife with Archie was supposed to kill Betty during the arc it stopped being put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Or rather, the arc was (is???) titled Betty RIP, but they didn't say she'd die. It's Afterlife though so even Archie dying would be fair game.

A new issue of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is coming out next month so I'm holding out hope that we'll see another issue of Afterlife in our lifetime.

X-O posted:

Mark Waid specifically said in an interview he wasn't killing anyone. So I think they're just hyping it to hype it.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/archie-reveals-the-victim-of-its-tragic-over-the-edge-s-1796223305

They're gonna kill her for real and then Jughead gets recruited into the Time Police and saves her in the Jughead comic :getin:

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 27, 2017

• Locked thread