Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

RandallODim posted:

Lex is basically the only character where 'tricked the devil to still keep his soul' is something I would totally buy.

Constantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

haitfais posted:

Constantine.

Okay, one of a small handful, but also about the only one who doesn't do magic himself.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Neron appears in 52 to gently caress with Ralph Dibney and Felix Faust. Think that's the last time he's ever appeared.

He was in James Tynion and Ming Doyle's Hellblazer twoish years ago as an underworld Trump stand-in.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Speaking of the devil:

I always thought 'pom' was synonymous with 'poof' as rude Australian slang for gay, which seemed to keep with the guy's character, saying in an earthy way that Lucifer is gay and he's alright with it. Today I learned that it actually means 'British' and I'm kinda let down by how it changes the scene.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There is the classic schoolyard song "Oy, I got a pom up me bum, mate"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 7, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's really not a lot of difference when you take into account the traditional Aussie bloke's view of the British.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Madkal posted:

From what I remember about the event from the two books I read (Detective Comics and Robin), he took c-list villains and upped the power levels so superhero status.
Did any of the villains with suped up powers ever appear again after the event, and did any heroes take him up on the offer?

I think the most well known villain who got kept his Neron look/deal was Blockbuster as he was Nightwing's main villain all throughout Chuck Dixon's run.

Ghostlight posted:

There's really not a lot of difference when you take into account the traditional Aussie bloke's view of the British.

The late Steve Irwin had a great line about this.

"This spider is full of enough venom to kill ten guys like me....Or twenty poms." I laughed about this.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Madkal posted:

From what I remember about the event from the two books I read (Detective Comics and Robin), he took c-list villains and upped the power levels so superhero status.
Did any of the villains with suped up powers ever appear again after the event, and did any heroes take him up on the offer?

Full list (because I'm bored at work):

Abra Kadabra, Atomic Skull II, Blockbuster II (Roland Desmond), Cheetah III (Barbara Ann Minerva), Chronos (David Clinton), Circe, Copperhead, Doctor Phosphorus, Doctor Polaris (Neal Emerson), Enforcer ("Joe Gardner", a Draalian clone of Guy Gardner), Evil Star II, Gorilla Grodd, Hellgrammite, Killer Frost II, Killer Moth, Lex Luthor, Major Disaster, Metallo, Mist (Kyle Nimbus), Mr. Freeze, Ocean Master, Psycho-Pirate II (Roger Hayden), Rag Doll (Peter Merkel, Sr.), Shadow Thief, Shrapnel, Spellbinder III (Fay Moffit) a.k.a. Lady Spellbinder

These are all the villians that I believed kept their enchanced powers after Underworld Unleashed. The Rogues got taken to Hell and later Wally West freed their souls and returned them to their bodies, which were running amok in Keystone City.

Of course the New 52 reboot pretty much erased all of this, which is fine because some cool villians like Dr. Polaris died or otherwise became mutated like Killer Moth.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'm still in awe that they made Killer Moth into a literal killer moth. Especially whenever I reread Morrison's JLA and Charaxas or whatever his new name was pops up in a prison cell.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

hup posted:

I'm still in awe that they made Killer Moth into a literal killer moth. Especially whenever I reread Morrison's JLA and Charaxas or whatever his new name was pops up in a prison cell.

Yeah I thought it was dumb, but it was during those times in the 90s where everything had to be done to the extreme.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

hup posted:

I think turning Blue Devil into a literal blue devil who is angsty and tormented instead of a fun loving stuntman trapped in a power suit is pretty bad too. Then they made his goofy sidekick into a sexy red demon in leather pants.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

pubic works project posted:

Full list (because I'm bored at work):

Abra Kadabra, Atomic Skull II, Blockbuster II (Roland Desmond), Cheetah III (Barbara Ann Minerva), Chronos (David Clinton), Circe, Copperhead, Doctor Phosphorus, Doctor Polaris (Neal Emerson), Enforcer ("Joe Gardner", a Draalian clone of Guy Gardner), Evil Star II, Gorilla Grodd, Hellgrammite, Killer Frost II, Killer Moth, Lex Luthor, Major Disaster, Metallo, Mist (Kyle Nimbus), Mr. Freeze, Ocean Master, Psycho-Pirate II (Roger Hayden), Rag Doll (Peter Merkel, Sr.), Shadow Thief, Shrapnel, Spellbinder III (Fay Moffit) a.k.a. Lady Spellbinder

These are all the villians that I believed kept their enchanced powers after Underworld Unleashed. The Rogues got taken to Hell and later Wally West freed their souls and returned them to their bodies, which were running amok in Keystone City.

Of course the New 52 reboot pretty much erased all of this, which is fine because some cool villians like Dr. Polaris died or otherwise became mutated like Killer Moth.

Joker also sold his soul, but for a box of Cuban cigars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What are some good places online to buy some older (like 60s, 70s) comics?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lightning Lord posted:

Then they made his goofy sidekick into a sexy red demon in leather pants.

To be fair, everyone does at lest one embarrassing thing when they join the Teen Titans.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB171015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/walkyouhome/status/872540343367077889

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Random question.

Are their any notable or worthwhile runs of Vampirella that are worth checking out? I saw 'Vampirella meets Kiss' (or something like that) at my LCS today, and it suddenly occurred to me that I've never really heard anyone discuss, well, anything about Vampirella outside of her costume.

Surely with as long as she's been around, she's had a good run or two in there? Or has she always just been a cheesecake character with nothing really worthwhile to speak of?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't read it, but presumably the Alan Moore Vampirella

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I actually had no idea that Moore did a Vampirella run.

Huh.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm enjoying Paul Cornell's current run.
Unique art and setting (some weird pop art sex and afterlife obsessed future society she wakes up to. With clown police.)
https://www.comixology.com/Vampirella-2017/comics-series/86428 #0 issue is free.

Also, the new costume.

Edit: The previous Kate Leth run ditched the cheesecake too. No idea how it was, though.
https://www.comixology.com/Vampirella-2016/comics-series/66911

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 8, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Unique art and setting (some weird pop art sex and afterlife obsessed future society she wakes up to. With clown police.)
https://www.comixology.com/Vampirella-2017/comics-series/86428 #0 issue is free.

Also, the new costume.

While I like the intention of the costume, I am getting serious Phoenix vibes off it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's always been her emblem. Now it's just moved up from her crotch.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I mean the head of the emblem is different but they both look bloody similar to me

At least they moved it away from her crotch to be more...er....prominent?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, the new costume.

Edit: The previous Kate Leth run ditched the cheesecake too. No idea how it was, though.
https://www.comixology.com/Vampirella-2016/comics-series/66911

I really enjoyed the Leth run. It basically took the Elvira comparison and ran with it, with her moving to LA and becoming a midnight movie host at a revival movie theater.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, the new costume.

Well, it's better than the Buffy costume, but that is 100% a Phoenix dress she bought off marvel.com.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

Random question.

I promise to write you an effort-post later tonight!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ok is it just me or is the CG in ASM2 like super goddamn bad and sticks out like a sore thumb

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

Ok is it just me or is the CG in ASM2 like super goddamn bad and sticks out like a sore thumb

Lol why are you watching ASM2.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Lol why are you watching ASM2.

Cuz I'm bored and it's on Netflix and I wanna see if it's really as bad as the WHM guys made it out to be

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Are they loving serious with this Norman Osborn? Holy poo poo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is this music for real? This genuinely feels like a bad 90's superhero movie like B&R with none of the camp or innocence and naïveté of attempting something new for a new generation

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just noticed I've been coming here for a year now.

Neat.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Just noticed I've been coming here for a year now.

Neat.

Happy BSSS birthday.

Also I tried watching ASM2 on Netflix and I couldn't finish it. I wouldn't say it was because it was bad but mostly because it was extremely boring.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wait till you look under your name and realize that you've been on a forum for ten years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYUgGs9IStY

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wait till you look under your name and realize that you've been on a forum for ten years.

That moment hosed with my head more than turning 30.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Please tell me the guy who played Harry Osborne in this never acted again

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I had been lurking for about 2 years before I registered so I consider it already over 10 years here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pretty soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Please tell me the guy who played Harry Osborne in this never acted again

Dane Dehaan is playing the title role in Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

• Locked thread