Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I like Brainiac. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

pubic works project posted:

I like Brainiac. :shrug:

Brainiac's fine. I just don't think he's an appropriate or interesting villain for the Injustice universe. He's basically just doing what he always does.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Brainiac's fine. I just don't think he's an appropriate or interesting villain for the Injustice universe. He's basically just doing what he always does.

I was honestly surprised that he was in fact, the end-all boss at the end of the day. I kept thinking, oh, there's always somebody else behind the whole thing as a last-second swerve, but nope, Brainiac from beginning to end. Kind of let down.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Injustice 3: Miracleman

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

redbackground posted:

I was honestly surprised that he was in fact, the end-all boss at the end of the day. I kept thinking, oh, there's always somebody else behind the whole thing as a last-second swerve, but nope, Brainiac from beginning to end. Kind of let down.

I was thinking that there might have been a twist at the end since Darkseid is in the game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

I still can't believe Injustice 2's plot is some dumb Brainiac poo poo instead of my idea of Evil Superman being broken out of jail by alternate universe Dictator Batman.
The Brainiac poo poo was pretty good. I had fears it was gonna be trite team up against a greater evil and remember you're friends and heroes, everyone's redeemed happy ending bullshit, but that didn't happen. I loved the bit where Superman's been let out of jail and all the old friends are working together nicely and then Superman tells Kara that as soon as this Brainiac poo poo is handled he's gonna kill Batman, because obviously he is, he's still Evil Superman and killing his enemies is awesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stan

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I still can't believe Injustice 2's plot is some dumb Brainiac poo poo instead of my idea of Evil Superman being broken out of jail by alternate universe Dictator Batman.

Your idea. Uh huh. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Your idea. Uh huh. :colbert:

You can't prove that I entered your dreams and stole your idea! *hides makeshift cerebro*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don Rosa is a very cranky man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Don Rosa is a very cranky man.

I'm trying to imagine Rob Liefeld actively wanting to separate his New Mutants and X-Force from what I expect to be a very popular Cable and Deadpool movie in the next few years.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Now that's a salty duck

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'm trying to imagine Rob Liefeld actively wanting to separate his New Mutants and X-Force from what I expect to be a very popular Cable and Deadpool movie in the next few years.

nah rob is nice and would be happy to talk to people

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

nah rob is nice and would be happy to talk to people

The other difference is Liefeld actually co-created the characters in question.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Someone should have said to Don "Oh, you mean like the Carl Barks books?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Someone should have said to Don "Oh, you mean like the Carl Barks books?"

:iceburn:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I always thought Rosa somehow looked like an even more assholish version of Larry David (or more appropriately a human Scrooge McDuck) so finding out he's one of those "Uh, actually guys DuckTales is just a rip-off of blah blah blah blah" guys just makes a lot of sense. I mean how can you even make any kind of overprotective claim on Scrooge McDuck when your name isn't Carl Barks?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Presumably those aren't Don Rosa comics. It says right on the sign that they were created nearly 50 years before Ducktales and a quick check says he was born in 1951. If anything I think he's just being overprotective of Carl Barks.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Fame is like a hurricane...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Archyduke posted:

Presumably those aren't Don Rosa comics. It says right on the sign that they were created nearly 50 years before Ducktales and a quick check says he was born in 1951. If anything I think he's just being overprotective of Carl Barks.

Or he is tired of people coming up to him and talking about Ducktales and how great it is, and not knowing it was a comic book. People thinking he is going fan art from Ducktales.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is interesting

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/138455-busted-bcc-replaces-harvey-awards-with-ringo-awards-after-outhouse-expose.html

quote:

Last year, The Outhouse ran a hard-hitting exposé on how Valiant Comics mysteriously garnered 35% of the nominations for the Harvey Awards, which have run annually at Baltimore Comic Con. We noted how the eight members of The Valiant Fan Forums brigaded the /r/comicbooks' "Best of Comics 2015" polls, forcing mod Christian Hoffer to vacate two of the awards. While Harvey ballots are restricted to people working in the industry, that appears to work on an honor system, as anyone can submit a ballot through the website. We're not saying the Valiant Fan Forums rigged the Harveys, but does the pope poo poo in the woods?

Embarassed by The Outhouse's as-of-yet-non-Eisner-nominated brand of journalism, Baltimore Comic Con has announced a new award ceremony, the Ringo Awards, named not for the worst Beatle, but for Mike Wieringo, best known for his work on The Flash, Fantastic Four, and his own series, Tellos. He died ten years ago at the age of 44.

Unlike other professional industry awards, the Ringo Awards include fan participation in the nomination process along with an esteemed jury of comics professionals. More than 20 categories will be celebrated with top honors being given at an awards ceremony Saturday, September 23, 2017.

Absolutely anything that helps people remember Mike Weringo is excellent in my opinion.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bobkatt013 posted:

Or he is tired of people coming up to him and talking about Ducktales and how great it is, and not knowing it was a comic book. People thinking he is going fan art from Ducktales.
I imagine he just pedantically hates it when people use the term "Ducktales" to refer to any media featuring Scrooge McDuck and the gang despite the lack of a more succinct terminology. Maybe he should consider that life is like a hurricane in Duckberg.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If someone made a well-loved tv show out of my comic and gave it the catchiest theme song this side of Ghostbusters, I would be a bit more gracious.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Yeah, Rosa just needs to accept manually educating fans on the comics/animation/royalties divide, lest his sign be declared an instrument of rage every time it's photographed.

I can't blame him for getting tired of it, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know that Rosa has said (either in the back matter for one of the Fantagraphics collections or in separate interviews) that he does appreciate DuckTales but resents how it overshadows the Carl Barks comics (and his own, I suppose). I know he's said he thinks it's one of the best children's cartoons of the 1980s and that it's leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of the contemporaeous toy tie-in stuff like Transformers and He-Man, but in his mind it is to the Duck comics what Super Friends was to the Justice League comics.

Comes from going to conventions in the late 80s and early 90s and having people asking him if he was drawing the DuckTales tie-in comic or something.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I read a DuckTales comic before, and they totally ripped off the boulder chase from Indiana Jones.

Then Rosa murders me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today I got sucked into a multi-customer discussion/argument about Gwenpool and Spider-Gwen and how they are or are not the same person.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rhyno posted:

Today I got sucked into a multi-customer discussion/argument about Gwenpool and Spider-Gwen and how they are or are not the same person.

Well have you ever seen them in the same room at the same time? :colbert:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

Someone figured out Clone Saga II: Gweniverse

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I saw Rosa at Dragoncon last year and someone came up to him asking about Flintheart Glomgold being Irish. Rosa was quick to correct him that in the comics Glomgold was from South Africa and that the change of nationality was just for Duck Tales. I can understand how tiring it could be to care a lot about a specific story and to have to spend all your time explaining to people how it is different than what they're used to.

His annotations for his Fantagraphics collections are fantastic. He spent a lot of his time and life dedicated to preserving the stories that Barks told and building on his legacy so he's got a lot personally invested in those ducks. One of his big qualms with Ducktales was the addition of Launchpad McQuack (who he thought was okay) and he absolutely hates Bubba the Cave Duck. Tomorrow if I've got time I'll dig up the collection and see if I could find his exact words on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bubba the Cave Duck was pretty terrible tbh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/haarleyquin/status/876383140058726401

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Bubba the Cave Duck was pretty terrible tbh

He didn't HAVE to give you that extra energy slot! :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Look how smug that dude is though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

If it was 1995, I guess

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

For some reason I thought at first that he was playing a kazoo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Criminals are a superstitious and homophobic lot.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Dr. Hurt posted:

I saw Rosa at Dragoncon last year and someone came up to him asking about Flintheart Glomgold being Irish. Rosa was quick to correct him that in the comics Glomgold was from South Africa and that the change of nationality was just for Duck Tales. I can understand how tiring it could be to care a lot about a specific story and to have to spend all your time explaining to people how it is different than what they're used to.

His annotations for his Fantagraphics collections are fantastic. He spent a lot of his time and life dedicated to preserving the stories that Barks told and building on his legacy so he's got a lot personally invested in those ducks. One of his big qualms with Ducktales was the addition of Launchpad McQuack (who he thought was okay) and he absolutely hates Bubba the Cave Duck. Tomorrow if I've got time I'll dig up the collection and see if I could find his exact words on it.

Hey South Africa represent. I guess the changes might have come about because he didn't want to share a nationality with loving Maggot. There really needs to be a superhero based on Jonty Rhodes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pretty sure Glomgold is Scottish in the cartoon, not Irish, since he dresses, talks and acts like a racist stereotype of Scottish people. He's wearing a goddamn kilt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The actual reason why Glomgold was made Scottish instead of South African was because Ducktales came out in the '80s and they did not want that apartheid stink on a Disney character.

• Locked thread