Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

I've tried really hard over the past few years to get into Kirby and it just never happened. There's something about his style that just doesn't work for me in the various books I've read. Not that it's bad, just that I generally prefer other artists and storytellers. I'd gone back to his early stuff with Simon, I'd read large sections of his Marvel output, and I'd checked out New Gods, and it just never clicked with me.

Until Forever People. Holy poo poo this book is rad. The writing is over the top ridiculous and a perfect match for the art.

If you haven't check out him and Stan Lee on Fantastic Four, depending on my mood it ranks somewhere between best Silver Age comics and best comics ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

I have. It just doesn't do it for me. I can recognize the craft but I just don't enjoy it that much. His style is too grotesque for everyday comics. Fantastic Four isn't exactly everyday stuff but it's still superheroes, especially as written by Lee. Give me Ditko and Lee's Spider-Man any day of the week.

I did really like the eternals though. I don't think I've read Kirby's surfer, I should read that next.

My second question is gonna be how far did you get, because it took a bit for me to click with it as well, but I got on board within the first 20ish issues I think. I recognize that's a lot to ask someone to read, especially from before comics became extremely decompressed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

The Grant Morrison stuff is good. Also Kurt Busiek.

A lot of the older comics despite having the banana hammock costume are cool.

Do you seriously not know what a banana hammock is in reference to?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Because I know there are Britgoons around,
They should bring back Excalibur, but with the subtitle being "Coalition of Chaos."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Don Rosa is a very cranky man.

I'm trying to imagine Rob Liefeld actively wanting to separate his New Mutants and X-Force from what I expect to be a very popular Cable and Deadpool movie in the next few years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

nah rob is nice and would be happy to talk to people

The other difference is Liefeld actually co-created the characters in question.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/haarleyquin/status/876383140058726401

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's cheap reprints of Uncanny #1 available also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-men-1-Marvel-Milestone-Edition-Reprint-Wow-Key-VF-/401345820705?hash=item5d72133821:g:89UAAOSwLsBZPpWh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

She started as a joke about Spider-Gwen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Eventually Slott will do the SpiderSTD story.

Isn't that Spider-Man: Reign?

Which is actually a decent story, if you ignore that one bit, or treat it like it's intended as a metaphor on Spider-Man just being a general bad person to hang around, health wise (see: Captain and Gwen Stacy, Harry Osborne, Ned Leads, Ed Brock, countless others.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dexie posted:

Now they're doing the Mary Jane month of covers, so I guess they're hoping for lightning to strike twice?

Is Mary Jane in either of the Iron-Man books still? I could see an alternate universe Mary Jane where she's basically a superhero version of Hedy Lamarr, and Iron Mary isn't a bad name for a comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

One of the reason Ironheart was not named "Iron Maiden" was their inability to use the name on covers.

They aren't using the name Ironheart on the covers, so that doesn't hold water.They're definitely not using Iron Maiden because of the Band, but also there's some weird sexual politics associated with the word "Maiden."

This loving happens every time a minority character takes over in some part the role of a created in the 60's white dude.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

They have used the name Ironheart on several covers though.

You run a comic book shop, how much to buy an issue of Ironheart #1?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was wrong when I said they didn't put the words Iron Heart on the cover, but the name of the comic is still Invincible Iron Man. I was asking where I could buy Iron Heart #1

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Huh I didn't know The Dark Phoenix Saga, Kitty Pryde's first appearance, and Days of Future Past were all back-to-back with each other.

Have there been other iconic stories so close together?

Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four had a lot of poo poo like that, Galactus first appears in the back half of one comic then they deal with him in the first half of the next, and then there's something else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

They mocked up covers with the "Iron Heart" name on them and showed them to retailers. The reactions were pretty negative and they kept using "Iron Man" so as to not have the book be DOA.

Now I'm just depressed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It sucks. But people don't always like or want change. It's working with Thor but my Sam Cap numbers are in the shitter and "Infamous" outsells Iron Man like 12 to 1 at my store.

That doesn't surprise me too much. I loving hated Superior Spider-Man as a concept, but Doctor Doom trying to be a hero is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

joehonkie posted:

Wait, there's a separate 616-native Miles? I can't tell my friend about that. He'll never pick up another comic.

The last page of Spider-Men (when 616 Peter Parker ended up in the Ultimate universe and hung out with Miles, it's actually a pretty good miniseries) is Peter back in the 616 and he googles "Miles Morales" and then has a shocked look on his face. There's been no follow-up on that whatsoever until now.

• Locked thread