Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Well it is the second day of June and here is a chat thread. I like chat threads. Do you like discussion threads? If you do you should post in this thread. Usually I would tell you something interesting about myself or about a comic book character I secretly hate and love at the same time (probably Wild Dog) but instead I will get the discussion rolling with this:

I was chatting to my friend last night about various fads going around school when I was growing up the 90's. There were sports cards, pogs, comic book cards etc, and I remember for a short period of time in about 1995 when comic books were actually a fad with kids in my year (so talking about 12 year olds here). It seemed like a short period of time but I remember going to school with a stack of comics and trading them with other kids, discussing who had the biggest guns and sharing back and forth comics. This was very much out in the open and it seemed like a fad just as much as pogs and such. I was wondering if others had this experience growing up and at their school as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sports cards are how I learned the joys of capitalism and trading and dealing. You want this athletes card? Fine, I will trade it to you if for 3 cards of these athletes. Clock is ticking. Make up your mind in 5 seconds.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pogs AND Pokemon cards were banned from local schools because of the "gambling" logic. poo poo, we weren't even allowed to play "rear end in a top hat" because it involved playing cards. I suppose it's more logical than the Satan thing, though. Although I tend to find satanists on the whole to be hilarious.

Speaking of satanism, are there any Batman vs satanism stories? If so I assume they're appropriately stupid. I know the Cult's a good'un, and a lot of fiction tends to kind of make the whole satanism thing interchangeable with cult stuff, which is a bit off base. A lot of satanists are basically just hedonists with a flair for the dramatic who think pentagrams and the color black is cool (they're right).

There was an arc by Moench and Jones in their Batman run where the Joker tries to summon a demon and gets Etrigan. That featured quite a bit of the old Satanaic worship stuff in it.
Also I guess Batman: Gothic by Grant Morrison might fill the criteria.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

I fixed my broken clothes dryer all by myself!

#everydaysuperhero

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

From what little I remember of that whole event, he kinda shockingly... was? I don't recall him pulling any jerkass moves, people tended to get what they wanted in exchange for their souls.

From what I remember about the event from the two books I read (Detective Comics and Robin), he took c-list villains and upped the power levels so superhero status.
Did any of the villains with suped up powers ever appear again after the event, and did any heroes take him up on the offer?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

Isn't he why Scarecrow was some kind of Scarebeast at the end of War Games?

If not, can someone tell me why Scarecrow was some kind of Scarebeast at the end of War Games?

That was the arc just before Under the Red Good or whatever it was called. If I remember correctly one of Scarecrow research assistants experimented on him turning him into that. She turned herself into some new fear based villain who has never been heard of since that arc.
In short, it had nothing to do with Underworld Unleashed or whatever the neron arc was called.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm enjoying Paul Cornell's current run.
Unique art and setting (some weird pop art sex and afterlife obsessed future society she wakes up to. With clown police.)
https://www.comixology.com/Vampirella-2017/comics-series/86428 #0 issue is free.

Also, the new costume.

While I like the intention of the costume, I am getting serious Phoenix vibes off it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I mean the head of the emblem is different but they both look bloody similar to me

At least they moved it away from her crotch to be more...er....prominent?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

Just noticed I've been coming here for a year now.

Neat.

Happy BSSS birthday.

Also I tried watching ASM2 on Netflix and I couldn't finish it. I wouldn't say it was because it was bad but mostly because it was extremely boring.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I had been lurking for about 2 years before I registered so I consider it already over 10 years here.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
How quickly people forget Jackman's Hellsing movie. Which is a good thing because that movie sucked donkey balls.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dr. Hurt posted:

I saw Rosa at Dragoncon last year and someone came up to him asking about Flintheart Glomgold being Irish. Rosa was quick to correct him that in the comics Glomgold was from South Africa and that the change of nationality was just for Duck Tales. I can understand how tiring it could be to care a lot about a specific story and to have to spend all your time explaining to people how it is different than what they're used to.

His annotations for his Fantagraphics collections are fantastic. He spent a lot of his time and life dedicated to preserving the stories that Barks told and building on his legacy so he's got a lot personally invested in those ducks. One of his big qualms with Ducktales was the addition of Launchpad McQuack (who he thought was okay) and he absolutely hates Bubba the Cave Duck. Tomorrow if I've got time I'll dig up the collection and see if I could find his exact words on it.

Hey South Africa represent. I guess the changes might have come about because he didn't want to share a nationality with loving Maggot. There really needs to be a superhero based on Jonty Rhodes

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

I know that Sony wanted to create a Robin Hood shared universe.

It seems like the only time Sony does something right it is purely by accident.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Not define but Eurocomics and manga are traditionally a haven for people who hate interconnected universes.

A cruel, goldskinned warrior with glowing red eyes wearing pseudo-medieval nobleman garb leading a pack of demon dogs could look cool as hell if done right.

It's certainly better than the lovely "skinny HR Geiger meets Transformers" look the DC movies Apokolips stuff seems to have. Like is Virman Vundabar gonna look like the Cloverfield monster?

A hope is that they give Steppenwolf a "human form" like they did with Aries.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thanks for sharing those. I love getting looks at old comics and it makes me wish I still had my brothers old comics. I like to think that in 20 odd years my kids would be posting my comics on some dead forum.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Someone is dying in the next issue of Archie and they're hinting that it's Betty. Which is probably bullshit but hey, whatever

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/06/tragedy-hits-riverdale-in-archie-22-check-out-a-first-look-preview-here/

Gonna be Dilton. No-one will care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember reading When the wind blows and it being one of the saddest comics I have ever read, so I am wondering what are some of your guys saddest comics you have ever read.

edit: I guess a brief synopsis and why it was so sad might be needed. The story is about an elderly British couple who live in their home. On the radio they hear about a nuclear bomb going off in Britain, and remembering all they learned and read they prepare themselves as best they can to survive the nuclear attack, though being an elderly British couple their understanding of what is going on and what they are doing might be a bit....confusing. The book just follows them as they slowly succumb to radiation poisoning while trying to keep their spirits up and also while they aren't really sure what is going on. So if you want to read a book about an elderly British couple slowly dying while being devoted and loving to each other....well now you can see why it was one of the saddest books I have ever read.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 28, 2017

• Locked thread