Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
For saddest, I think Rosalie Lightning is probably on my short list.

It's about the writer and artist losing his 2 or 3 year old daughter and it's really brutal in places. Having just had our first child 2 months ago, I haven't dared to re-read it yet, but I remember a really poignant moment where he's remembering trying to take his daughter to a corn maze and arriving after it closed, so she just played in a metal tub filled with water and some rubber ducks in the parking lot--and it's set up like this memory and then the next panel is really bleak and bitter, just a kind of scribble, and a caption like "She died thinking a corn maze was a metal tub in a parking lot" and you can just feel the anguish.

It's a really powerful depiction of grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just re-read Runaways and Y recently and I think they both hold up. Though Yorick makes this reference that's kind of funny now, when he says something like "More Blade Runner than Westworld", referring to the Westworld movie, but anyone reading it now would probably think of the recent Westworld HBO show, and the entire reference doesn't really make sense.

The Saga talk just made me think of Bryan K.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

purple death ray posted:

I'm probably the biggest Chaykin cheerleader on this forum but he's on his own with this bullshit

And Justice League/JLU is the only superhero TV you need.

I've been watching the 2003 Justice League cartoon and I've been kind of impressed. The theme song is pretty dour and in general the tone seems to be very serious--but then there's these really great moments that show whoever created it really loves the material. Like the beginning of the Gorilla Grodd episode has this hilarious opening where there's some archaeologists digging up a pit and then a mountain shimmers in the background and three gorillas on flying motorcycles cruise up to the guy and say "Humans!" and then speed off back to the shimmering city. And then the other archaeologist pokes her head out of the hole and says "What was that?"--I'm not doing it justice, but it's really funny.

• Locked thread