Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

fidget spinners

These are so dumb.

Going on a waiting list at a toy shop so that my kid could get one is perhaps the only dumber thing than the fidget spinner itself. (ended up snagging one that someone else reserved and didn't pick up, I was truly a hero dad that evening)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

A *wait list*? I was at the mall and there was a kiosk selling nothing but those stupid things. I'm sure you could get one from Amazon in short order, too. Unless there's some specific brand or something.

Now definitely. About a month ago though? At least in this city they were impossible to find. Everything on Amazon was 3 weeks shipping from China.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone tried the Archie unlimited service? What's the back catalog like?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've tried really hard over the past few years to get into Kirby and it just never happened. There's something about his style that just doesn't work for me in the various books I've read. Not that it's bad, just that I generally prefer other artists and storytellers. I'd gone back to his early stuff with Simon, I'd read large sections of his Marvel output, and I'd checked out New Gods, and it just never clicked with me.

Until Forever People. Holy poo poo this book is rad. The writing is over the top ridiculous and a perfect match for the art.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

If you haven't check out him and Stan Lee on Fantastic Four, depending on my mood it ranks somewhere between best Silver Age comics and best comics ever.

I have. It just doesn't do it for me. I can recognize the craft but I just don't enjoy it that much. His style is too grotesque for everyday comics. Fantastic Four isn't exactly everyday stuff but it's still superheroes, especially as written by Lee. Give me Ditko and Lee's Spider-Man any day of the week.

I did really like the eternals though. I don't think I've read Kirby's surfer, I should read that next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There have always been stories about people with "superpowers" but that doesn't make them superheroes.

A couple months ago I picked up 100 Marvel trades (a mix of softcover and hardcover, mostly from the last ten years but with a bunch of older stuff mixed in) on a pretty crazy deal. I don't generally buy Marvel but for that price I couldn't pass it up. I wouldn't pay Comixology prices for digital books that I can read on Marvel Unlimited, but there's something about physical media that I love. I think it's the best, if not most convenient, way to read comics. My son has been reading a different book basically every night since then, and I've read some stuff I wouldn't have otherwise read, like a Rogue mini, Secret War, and some terrible Marvel Max stuff.

Anyway today I bought another 45 trades from her for about the same price per book. This group was mostly Fantastic Four stuff, most of which I haven't read. I'm looking forward to digging in to it. I loved Hickman's FF but I never really dug into any other FF stuff after Kirby. I guess this is bragging... I'm just super excited to find deals like this!

• Locked thread