Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously the big thing - really overwhelmingly huge - when I was in school was Pokémon. It's wild to think of how big that was for a couple of years (I think between 1997 and 1999). But it was the trading card game that was the biggest thing about it; sure, people watched the cartoon and played the games but the cards were the big draw. Nobody I knew could actually play the game, of course; trading them was the main appeal.

Before that, it was yo-yos. I remember yo-yos being a super popular fad for a while when the Pro-Yo II came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember I went to see Pokémon: The First Movie in the cinema and it's really bizarre to think that it must surely be one of the most successful theatrically released anime films outside Japan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't the faintest clue what the big crazes are with kids nowadays. What is the big thing, anyway?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

The Mummy's a teachable lesson one film in.

Not good, huh? How badly will it have to do for them to abort their big "Dark Universe" plan before it can even get off the ground? I imagine they've got quite a lot invested in it already.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad, because I like all those Universal Monsters characters and would love to see them all having adventures together.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Play Castlevania.

Played one game years ago that I think was on PSP. I don't own any consoles nowadays, though. Is it on Steam?

Samuringa posted:

Have you ever heard of this good thing called Penny Dreadful?

I liked Penny Dreadful a lot but kinda sorta resent it because apparently we were on the verge of getting an Anno Dracula adaptation for the tv which ended up not being progressed any further when Penny Dreadful was announced.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, something more along the lines of Indiana Jones or the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies would be fun, or the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movies.

(Guy Ritchie should remake The Assassination Bureau though I'm not sure who the 2017 version of Oliver Reed would be - would no doubt end u with, say, Tom Hiddleston as Dragomiloff, which might be quite good.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

The idea of monsters and monster hunters is so effortlessly cool and yet there are almost no good movies about it, somehow

I enjoyed Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love that scene where Batman and Robin go to confront King Tut, and they know he's a bad guy and Robin's all for bringing him in, when Batman says, "Robin, the Constitution provides that a man is innocent until proven guilty. And the Constitution is the cornerstone of our great nation. We must abide by it," so they leave without doing anything. It's great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Adam West was once offered the opportunity to play James Bond, but declined because he thought James Bond should only be played by a British actor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since it was chatted about a few pages ago, is the new Mummy reboot franchise D.O.A.? I've heard it's done pretty badly in the short time it's been out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just realised that it's literally a fortnight until the twenty-year anniversary of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone coming out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Because I know there are Britgoons around,
They should bring back Excalibur, but with the subtitle being "Coalition of Chaos."

Alternatively, the Shadow Chancellor and his Shadow Cabinet.

We've had these obvious supervillain names for decades and they've never been used!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

What's DC's version of Skrulls?

Durlans, maybe?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know that Rosa has said (either in the back matter for one of the Fantagraphics collections or in separate interviews) that he does appreciate DuckTales but resents how it overshadows the Carl Barks comics (and his own, I suppose). I know he's said he thinks it's one of the best children's cartoons of the 1980s and that it's leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of the contemporaeous toy tie-in stuff like Transformers and He-Man, but in his mind it is to the Duck comics what Super Friends was to the Justice League comics.

Comes from going to conventions in the late 80s and early 90s and having people asking him if he was drawing the DuckTales tie-in comic or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the new DuckTales cartoon looks like it'll be fun but after watching some of the more recent preview videos I feel like David Tennant sounds too young to be Scrooge.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

I collect statues and stuff of a few specific characters. I had the idea of getting the first appearance issue for each of them to hang on the wall (since the wall space behind the shelves is just being wasted) but 2 of them are Cyclops and Green Arrow, so that's just not happening.

Anyone recommend good issues to represent those two? And not you know, several thousand dollars. They don't actually have to be good comics.

But in all seriousness, also check out X-Factor #11, X-Factor #67 and possibly Uncanny #280 for Cyclops.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Been reading a couple of articles about the Tom Cruise Mummy movie - which might not have rendered the Dark Universe franchise DOA but has certainly made things harder for it - and how it's the biggest recent example of putting the cart before the horse. It has reminded me, didn't Sony (or whoever) have plans to create a Ghostbusters shared universe on the back of the 2016 reboot with solo movies for each member of the team etc.?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

I know that Sony wanted to create a Robin Hood shared universe.

Robin Hood just needs a reboot which emphasises the humblebragging aspects of Robin's personality. He needs to be the sort of hero to whom robbing the rich to give to the poor is N.B.D. Maybe he should get involved in some tough mudder as well. Very buzzworthy.

David D. Davidson posted:

The worst offenders of this in my opinion are X-men Origins Wolverine and Batman V Superman. In the former case it kept on setting up spin-offs literally much the entire film including after the loving credits. As a result the film was so poo poo that the two next films (X-men origins: Magneto and First Class) were merged into one film which went out of it's way to have gently caress-all to do with the previous movie, was retconned via time fuckery in the film after that (Days of Future Past,) and then directly mocked in the one film that was supposed to be a spin off of (Deadpool.) There is still one flim in development that was originally intended to be a spin off of Origins buts its pretty much been in development hell since it's inception, and if it ever comes out, it too with have gently caress all to do with Origins.

Now in Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman's entire loving subplot was there just to bloat out the runtime and stick in advertisements for not just a spin off of Batman V Superman (Wonder Woman,) but for spin offs of the next mainline entry of the series. I mean the film literally came to a stop right before the final act of the film to show us teaser trailers for spin offs of the Justice League.

I don't think it's as bad in either of those cases because at least they weren't the first movies in their respective series. You already had the first three X-Men movies to set up what that world was all about, and you'd already had Man of Steel, which gave you a sense of what the world this Superman lived in was like so that you could have further stories taking place in it.

With stuff like the Tom Cruise Mummy film or Dracula Untold from a couple of years ago, it's by most accounts putting the cart before the horse. Imagine if, say, Iron Man 2 had been the first MCU movie.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 21, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Zorro the first American superhero in any medium? In terms of publication, he's the earliest one (1919) that occurs to me. What's the dividing line between a pulp hero and a superhero?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, wow, that's interesting. What's also interesting is that I've been completely wrong about the Scarlet Pimpernel for years because I always assumed it was actually contemporary with the French revolution! :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My definition of "superhero" has been confused ever since I asked my dad what his favourite superhero movie was and he thought a bit before he said, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had this stupid idea earlier where there's a remake of The Saint as a movie with Henry Cavill as Simon Templar and it has a post-credits scene where Tom Hiddleston shows up in a bowler hat with an umbrella and says, "Mr Templar? I am from Department S, and I'd like to talk to you about the "Avengers" initiative." :v:

Hugh Jackman would play Jason King.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Jason King, Simon Templar, John Steed, Emma Peel, Sharron Macready, and Marty Hopkirk, going up against a man now calling himself 'Number 1' and who is waging a vendetta against the security services...

bobkatt013 posted:

Would it end up being Harry lime?

Both are merely agents of the mysterious organisation known only as T.H.R.U.S.H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I rewatched Gargoyles a few years ago, I remember being sort of impressed by the episode with Cu Chulainn because they actually managed to give the Irish characters accents that sounded about right for Ulster rather than the usual thing where everyone from Ireland sounds like they're from Cork.

• Locked thread