Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I refuse to not be optimistic about the Monster Hunter movie.

It's being made by the guy who made the Resident Evil movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

CapnAndy posted:

It's endemic to movies ever since Marvel kicked the door down. I call it franchise smugness, which is a terrible name, but I can't think of a better one: assuming you're going to get infinite sequels and that means you don't actually have to resolve anything about the plot and can just spend 2 hours waving around easter eggs and blathering out exposition.

The Last Airbender is an early example, Terminator: Genisys does it, it's part of what brought down Amazing Spider-Man 2, but my favorite example is that Peter Pan origin story. The movie starts with Captain Hook as a good guy who's friends with Peter, and by the end of the movie, Captain Hook is... still a good guy who's friends with Peter. They were that sure they were going to get more movies, they couldn't even be bothered to do the inevitable Hook heel turn.

The worst offenders of this in my opinion are X-men Origins Wolverine and Batman V Superman. In the former case it kept on setting up spin-offs literally much the entire film including after the loving credits. As a result the film was so poo poo that the two next films (X-men origins: Magneto and First Class) were merged into one film which went out of it's way to have gently caress-all to do with the previous movie, was retconned via time fuckery in the film after that (Days of Future Past,) and then directly mocked in the one film that was supposed to be a spin off of (Deadpool.) There is still one flim in development that was originally intended to be a spin off of Origins buts its pretty much been in development hell since it's inception, and if it ever comes out, it too with have gently caress all to do with Origins.

Now in Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman's entire loving subplot was there just to bloat out the runtime and stick in advertisements for not just a spin off of Batman V Superman (Wonder Woman,) but for spin offs of the next mainline entry of the series. I mean the film literally came to a stop right before the final act of the film to show us teaser trailers for spin offs of the Justice League.

• Locked thread