Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm reading the Fourth World stuff (again) myself too, I just finished the issue of Mister Miracle where Kirby introduces Big Barda. It's pretty interesting how resonant it is in today's political environment, especially the stuff with Glorious Godfrey. Whether that's because this poo poo sadly never goes away or because we're living in Nixon 2.0 or some combo I'm not sure. I know that's kind of a jejune sentiment right now with people in general being all "Trump = Voldemort! We're the Rebels from Star Wars!" but that's what I got out of it.

My favorite thing might be how Darkseid perfectly embodies the banality of evil despite being a cosmic overlord god. He's lounging around in chairs waiting for Orion to get home, wandering around an evil theme park he built being a dick to people for no reason, etc.

I've decided to skip most of the non-Kirby 80s and early 90s Fourth World comics (especially John Byrne's garbage) aside from like maybe the Mark Evanier material and read Walt Simonson's Orion after.

Jordan7hm posted:

I did really like the eternals though. I don't think I've read Kirby's surfer, I should read that next.

Have you checked out Kamandi or OMAC?

Archyduke posted:

Honestly I think there's a lot to admire in his stuff with Stan Lee etc. but you get the sense that he's increasingly suffocated by other peoples' scripts. When he's allowed more creative control I'm much more enthusiastic about the almost orgiastic weirdness and excess of it. This can falter-- when he returns to Marvel his Captain America and Black Panther are, uh, mixed-- but no other writer would have enabled the grand goofball opera of the 4th World runs.

The Kirby/Lee stuff is still good, but uh... in many ways, Lee basically ruined Kirby's comics. He's pretty much an unnecessary middleman.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't skip on Cosmic Odyssey.

Yeah I forgot about that. I just got the Orion Omnibus and I'm eager to tear into it, that's all. Also, there's the Super Powers comics Kirby did which have some Fourth World connections I think?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mockingbird is definitely one of those comics that moron Marvel executive told those retailers he thought was killing their sales and were going to put a stop to but totally promised to keep on doing

It was not the best seller but got a lot of attention but I guess Marvel doesn't care about the Eisners at all, since their main audience doesn't either really

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Not on the main Earth. It did happen on Earth-2 pre-Crisis.

Alan Brennert wrote some real good comics that happen to deal with this. That Tales of the Batman book with his work is a pro-buy

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

It'll be great until he makes a deal with the DC Devil to have his old life back in order to save Alfred from terminal cancer.

Neron is the DC Comics demon who makes deals with superpeople.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Neron appears in 52 to gently caress with Ralph Dibney and Felix Faust. Think that's the last time he's ever appeared.

He was wearing a snappy suit then too

pubic works project posted:

Heroes? Blue Devil I believe.

IMO that ruined Blue Devil.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

hup posted:

I'm still in awe that they made Killer Moth into a literal killer moth. Especially whenever I reread Morrison's JLA and Charaxas or whatever his new name was pops up in a prison cell.

I think turning Blue Devil into a literal blue devil who is angsty and tormented instead of a fun loving stuntman trapped in a power suit is pretty bad too. Then they made his goofy sidekick into a sexy red demon in leather pants.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Dexie posted:

Random question.

Are their any notable or worthwhile runs of Vampirella that are worth checking out? I saw 'Vampirella meets Kiss' (or something like that) at my LCS today, and it suddenly occurred to me that I've never really heard anyone discuss, well, anything about Vampirella outside of her costume.

Surely with as long as she's been around, she's had a good run or two in there? Or has she always just been a cheesecake character with nothing really worthwhile to speak of?

The Grant Morrison stuff is good. Also Kurt Busiek.

A lot of the older comics despite having the banana hammock costume are cool.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Do you seriously not know what a banana hammock is in reference to?

I do, and it looks like a banana hammock but on an alien vampire woman. She's Borat with a collar, dude.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Dexie posted:

Okay, wow. So she does have good stuff, then.

I'm going to check some of this out. Thanks!

Warren's other magazines like Eerie and Creepy are cool too. You should check them out if you like old horror, sci-fi and fantasy anthology strips, Dark Horse has reprinted them and Dynamite does a reprint line of Vampirella magazine.

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, it's gonna be a tv series.

There's actually a Polish TV series that is universally hated by all Witcher fans, for it's bad acting, writing and incredibly low production values. I think it was chopped up to produce a movie or one was made that spun out of it that is also reviled.

This was way before the games tho. Like the 90s.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

No I mean, there is an upcoming netflix series.

I know, I'm just commenting further. I guess I should have made that more clear. I've actually thought about hatewatching the Polish show, I've heard either that it's just irredeemable, or that it's funny like a movie MST3K would do.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Jim Cummings is still working as a voice actor. Heck, he does a good number of the voices in the WoW Legion Expansion.

The voice of Leisure Suit Larry :swoon:

EDIT: Actually I confused him with Jan Rabson, another prolific voice actor. The guy that did the original voice for Tetsuo :laugh: I did learn that Cummings did a voice in the Dragon Dice video game, which is definitely something that existed.

Aphrodite posted:

I collect statues and stuff of a few specific characters. I had the idea of getting the first appearance issue for each of them to hang on the wall (since the wall space behind the shelves is just being wasted) but 2 of them are Cyclops and Green Arrow, so that's just not happening.

Anyone recommend good issues to represent those two? And not you know, several thousand dollars. They don't actually have to be good comics.

Issue 1 of the Mike Barr/Trevor Von Eeden Green Arrow miniseries. It's GA's first solo comic. It's also like $5

Ghostlight posted:

I mean it's an okay pun, but just pay the lawyers and go with Iron Maiden.

That's not necessary, there's already an Iron Maiden in Marvel, she's the woman covered in metal from Earth X

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 20, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

One of the reason Ironheart was not named "Iron Maiden" was their inability to use the name on covers.

Right but is the character in question going to be a titular one?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Huh I didn't know The Dark Phoenix Saga, Kitty Pryde's first appearance, and Days of Future Past were all back-to-back with each other.

Have there been other iconic stories so close together?

Does the Fourth World saga count?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The longer a story goes on, the more complicated it will get. Like. I'm reading Thorgal, which in theory is a relatively straight forward story about vikings, aliens and gods, but suddenly it began building up to a crisis-like event and if you don't read all the spin-offs and tie-ins you will be very lost.

Franco-Belgian comics having spin-offs and tie-ins will never not be weird to me. Isn't part of the appeal supposed to be that they're nothing like superhero comics? At least there's only like three for Thorgal. I've been thinking of reading Lanfeust of Troy, and there's a bunch. As far as I can tell they're pretty much sequential though.

CapnAndy posted:

Joke's on you, hope you like 90 minutes of assembling the other six jagoffs and a CGI-fest against loving Steppenwulf instead!

It's kind of a shame that instead of Kirby Steppenwolf, who is pretty cool, we're getting Goldar from the new Power Rangers movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think that's how they define themselves, no

Not define but Eurocomics and manga are traditionally a haven for people who hate interconnected universes.

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't seen what they're doing in the movie but Kirby Steppenwolf would look absurd and not in a good way.

A cruel, goldskinned warrior with glowing red eyes wearing pseudo-medieval nobleman garb leading a pack of demon dogs could look cool as hell if done right.

It's certainly better than the lovely "skinny HR Geiger meets Transformers" look the DC movies Apokolips stuff seems to have. Like is Virman Vundabar gonna look like the Cloverfield monster?

• Locked thread