Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is interesting

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/138455-busted-bcc-replaces-harvey-awards-with-ringo-awards-after-outhouse-expose.html

quote:

Last year, The Outhouse ran a hard-hitting exposé on how Valiant Comics mysteriously garnered 35% of the nominations for the Harvey Awards, which have run annually at Baltimore Comic Con. We noted how the eight members of The Valiant Fan Forums brigaded the /r/comicbooks' "Best of Comics 2015" polls, forcing mod Christian Hoffer to vacate two of the awards. While Harvey ballots are restricted to people working in the industry, that appears to work on an honor system, as anyone can submit a ballot through the website. We're not saying the Valiant Fan Forums rigged the Harveys, but does the pope poo poo in the woods?

Embarassed by The Outhouse's as-of-yet-non-Eisner-nominated brand of journalism, Baltimore Comic Con has announced a new award ceremony, the Ringo Awards, named not for the worst Beatle, but for Mike Wieringo, best known for his work on The Flash, Fantastic Four, and his own series, Tellos. He died ten years ago at the age of 44.

Unlike other professional industry awards, the Ringo Awards include fan participation in the nomination process along with an esteemed jury of comics professionals. More than 20 categories will be celebrated with top honors being given at an awards ceremony Saturday, September 23, 2017.

Absolutely anything that helps people remember Mike Weringo is excellent in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today I got sucked into a multi-customer discussion/argument about Gwenpool and Spider-Gwen and how they are or are not the same person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Look how smug that dude is though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I collect statues and stuff of a few specific characters. I had the idea of getting the first appearance issue for each of them to hang on the wall (since the wall space behind the shelves is just being wasted) but 2 of them are Cyclops and Green Arrow, so that's just not happening.

Anyone recommend good issues to represent those two? And not you know, several thousand dollars. They don't actually have to be good comics.

Maybe Uncanny #138 for Cyclops?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Wasn't that Silk?

Eventually Slott will do the SpiderSTD story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

That's not necessary, there's already an Iron Maiden in Marvel, she's the woman covered in metal from Earth X

One of the reason Ironheart was not named "Iron Maiden" was their inability to use the name on covers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

They aren't using the name Ironheart on the covers, so that doesn't hold water.They're definitely not using Iron Maiden because of the Band, but also there's some weird sexual politics associated with the word "Maiden."

This loving happens every time a minority character takes over in some part the role of a created in the 60's white dude.

They have used the name Ironheart on several covers though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I was wrong when I said they didn't put the words Iron Heart on the cover, but the name of the comic is still Invincible Iron Man. I was asking where I could buy Iron Heart #1

They mocked up covers with the "Iron Heart" name on them and showed them to retailers. The reactions were pretty negative and they kept using "Iron Man" so as to not have the book be DOA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Now I'm just depressed.

It sucks. But people don't always like or want change. It's working with Thor but my Sam Cap numbers are in the shitter and "Infamous" outsells Iron Man like 12 to 1 at my store.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

omnibobb posted:

Never got a chance to publicly thank those who sent us rings!

You're welcome and your son's face is killing me.

"Daaaaad I'm tired of playing Lantern Corps with you!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone is dying in the next issue of Archie and they're hinting that it's Betty. Which is probably bullshit but hey, whatever

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2017/06/tragedy-hits-riverdale-in-archie-22-check-out-a-first-look-preview-here/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

They sent out PRs to retailers saying we should all up our orders on the next issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Seem Chaykin's new book is still causing headaches for Image. And wow that cover linked near the end of the article is among the most horrible covers I've ever seen.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/30/image-deletes-tweet-asking-fans-shocking-moments-get-backlash-divided-states-hysteria/

Ah, so that's why we've gotten 100 calls looking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

You should really find another place to work. Your customer base makes your work life sound like a nightmare.

With DCBS closing up their local operations we're getting a whole slew of loving assholes who expect us to bend over and take it from them. It's fun!

• Locked thread