Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I am reposting this for you June chatters who would also possibly like to pick up a hundred digital TPBs for like ten bucks:

So if you have a Kindle or any tablet with a Kindle app (or even just a Comixology account apparently), Amazon seems to have gone pants-on-head crazy: They're selling hundreds (possibly thousands?) of TPBs at insane prices. And these are both recent and relevant! Secret Wars is $3.40, 1602 is $3.00, and God Loves, Man Kills is $0.80. This is lunacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Obviously the big thing - really overwhelmingly huge - when I was in school was Pokémon. It's wild to think of how big that was for a couple of years (I think between 1997 and 1999). But it was the trading card game that was the biggest thing about it; sure, people watched the cartoon and played the games but the cards were the big draw. Nobody I knew could actually play the game, of course; trading them was the main appeal.
Oh, that's still a thing. My little cousin has a ton of Pokemon cards that she likes to show me, but when I asked her to teach me to play she had absolutely no idea how.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I went to go look at the spoiler because I don't read Batman, and... hmm. I approve of this development.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

joehonkie posted:

Seems trustworthy.
From what little I remember of that whole event, he kinda shockingly... was? I don't recall him pulling any jerkass moves, people tended to get what they wanted in exchange for their souls.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

He's also how Lex got his old body back after being stuck in his decaying clone-self that he'd used to fake being his own son, but Lex tricked Necron into getting his soul back somehow.

Comics in the 90s, everybody.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, the new costume.

Well, it's better than the Buffy costume, but that is 100% a Phoenix dress she bought off marvel.com.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Ok is it just me or is the CG in ASM2 like super goddamn bad and sticks out like a sore thumb
There is nothing good in ASM2 for it to stick out from, as you have now learned.

Except maybe Paul Giamatti having a really fun fifteen minutes in front of a green screen, I did like him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Hahahaha what the gently caress is this electro dubstep bullshit
Has electro started talking to himself via the soundtrack yet? Because that happens and it's stupider than you can imagine

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

To be fair, "no we're doing a universe and we don't care if the universe sucks and the movies are terrible because we're doing this, gently caress you, bet you'll go see it opening weekend anyway" got us a good movie from DC. On their fourth try, but still!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

They need to aim for the 1999 version. There's nothing wrong with pulp heroes and bright colors, goddammit. Especially when you're asking us to accept monsters so classic they're cliches.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

joehonkie posted:

That would have been great.

Who's the modern version of Abbott and Costello? Key and Peele?
After Get Out, if they want to sell me Key and Peele Meet The Wolfman I will be in the theater opening loving night.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

And none of those were either of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies!
Because he wasn't in those, dude.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just realised that it's literally a fortnight until the twenty-year anniversary of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone coming out.
Ha ha ha time's inexorable march isn't at all frightening!!!! Ha!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, I think Boon's already said they'd do the Batman ending.
The Batman ending was so dumb and bland, though. The Superman ending has a million times more story potential.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I still can't believe Injustice 2's plot is some dumb Brainiac poo poo instead of my idea of Evil Superman being broken out of jail by alternate universe Dictator Batman.
The Brainiac poo poo was pretty good. I had fears it was gonna be trite team up against a greater evil and remember you're friends and heroes, everyone's redeemed happy ending bullshit, but that didn't happen. I loved the bit where Superman's been let out of jail and all the old friends are working together nicely and then Superman tells Kara that as soon as this Brainiac poo poo is handled he's gonna kill Batman, because obviously he is, he's still Evil Superman and killing his enemies is awesome.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Today I got sucked into a multi-customer discussion/argument about Gwenpool and Spider-Gwen and how they are or are not the same person.

Context, because the context is awesome: Gwen has run into Deadpool but has been thrashing him because it's her book and he's just guest-starring, but when he realizes that Gwen's a fouth-wall breaker too he starts fighting her on a purely meta level and kicking her rear end with literal popularity power. Unbelievable Gwenpool does a lot of really fun stuff with its premise.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

got any sevens posted:

She isnt gwen stacy?
Nope! Gwen Poole; when she went to get a costume she told the guy her name and he made the obvious assumption.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, Spider-Gwen was a huge hit so they did a Gwen month of variant covers, and Gwenpool turned out to be ridiculously popular with cosplayers basically immediately, so Marvel figured they had something there and made an actual Gwenpool ongoing.

I'm actually super interested in cosplay becoming an emerging force in the fandom, we've gone from stuff like new costumes being designed with ease of cosplay in mind (Batgirl's new costume had explicit notes about it) to entirely new characters being created. It's a heck of a thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spider-Gwen is from an alternate universe where she got bitten instead of Peter, and Peter died instead of her. Silk was bitten by the same spider that bit Peter.

I don't care who's being glib, dumb comics trivia has been asked and I know origins goddammit.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

OhFunny posted:

Huh I didn't know The Dark Phoenix Saga, Kitty Pryde's first appearance, and Days of Future Past were all back-to-back with each other.

Have there been other iconic stories so close together?
Also in that run are the first appearances of Emma Frost in particular and the Hellfire Club as a whole, the first appearance of Dazzler, and the moment when Wolverine went from "that tiny Canadian guy with claws" to Wolverine. I don't think anything tops it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Alhazred posted:

I know that Sony wanted to create a Robin Hood shared universe.
It's endemic to movies ever since Marvel kicked the door down. I call it franchise smugness, which is a terrible name, but I can't think of a better one: assuming you're going to get infinite sequels and that means you don't actually have to resolve anything about the plot and can just spend 2 hours waving around easter eggs and blathering out exposition.

The Last Airbender is an early example, Terminator: Genisys does it, it's part of what brought down Amazing Spider-Man 2, but my favorite example is that Peter Pan origin story. The movie starts with Captain Hook as a good guy who's friends with Peter, and by the end of the movie, Captain Hook is... still a good guy who's friends with Peter. They were that sure they were going to get more movies, they couldn't even be bothered to do the inevitable Hook heel turn.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

It'll be cool to finally watch Superman just 100% whale on evil aliens all movie long rather than have to sit through another boring two hours of him saving people's lives and serving as an inspiration for humanity to rise above itself.
Joke's on you, hope you like 90 minutes of assembling the other six jagoffs and a CGI-fest against loving Steppenwulf instead!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I really thought it was Steppenwulf, because Kirby loved to do the weird semi-mispellings for Apokalips stuff, up to and including the planet itself. I learned something today!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Im glad afterlife with Archie is finally getting a new issue.
Is it really or are you making a joke based on the other Archie stuff? Because if you just got my hopes up imma cut you :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sex Criminals polybags, but only its variant covers, and I've seen a copy of Sunstone just ready for reading out in a loving Barnes and Noble. I don't think it's done much any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I would say skip Agents of SHIELD entirely, as to my taste it never got above mediocre, and put Supergirl on your list, as it's excellent.

• Locked thread