Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My elementary school was briefly but extravagantly invested in Garfield, to the extent that there was an afternoon Garfield Club (where people just hung around in the library drawing Garfield, I guess?) and eventually Garfield books and paraphenalia were banned. After the ban kids would covertly swap Garfield digests behind the gas station half a mile down the road from the school. This was in the mid-90s so as far as I know well after the cartoon ended. Chalk it up to extraordinary delusions and/or the madness of crowds I guess. I remember a friend's very first AOL screenname being Knights_Odie and I assure you there was not a trace of irony involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Honestly I think there's a lot to admire in his stuff with Stan Lee etc. but you get the sense that he's increasingly suffocated by other peoples' scripts. When he's allowed more creative control I'm much more enthusiastic about the almost orgiastic weirdness and excess of it. This can falter-- when he returns to Marvel his Captain America and Black Panther are, uh, mixed-- but no other writer would have enabled the grand goofball opera of the 4th World runs.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

joehonkie posted:

With Chaykin's art style, every woman is arguably a trans woman.

Hey, late on the bandwagon but this comment is the loving pits.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Presumably those aren't Don Rosa comics. It says right on the sign that they were created nearly 50 years before Ducktales and a quick check says he was born in 1951. If anything I think he's just being overprotective of Carl Barks.

• Locked thread