Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Project 2002 is another private EQ server that aims to replicate EQ around 20002. It recently just launched Luclin, and seems to be growing on a regular basis. As of this last weekend, population is typically about 400 people. 3 boxing is allowed so the number of actual players is a good bit less, but there are a lot of people single boxing. I've been really enjoying this server. It feels like Project 99's red in terms of exp without the horribly toxic community and broken EQ pvp.

If you're coming from Project 1999 or TAKP or another EQ server you might be wondering why you should play Project 2002:

Pros:
1. Exp rates are NOT classic, and there's bonus exp up to 260% for a full group. 3 boxing is allowed and currently gives a 140% exp bonus. In two weekends, I've hit 24 casually playing on them.
2. 3-Boxing is allowed here. If you're coming from P99, this can be amazing if you're limited in time. Fire up your trio and get to cracking through the camp instead of waiting to find a group or wait for a camp to open.
3. Extremely friendly community. Ding, the server's leveling guild, regularly gives away gear to new players throughout the week and hosts a weekly gear give away from 4pm EST to 6pm EST. Tons of gear is given out, and you can roll once per character you're boxing. Most people are okay with dropping a toon to let a player in if they're playing only one.
4. PoK is open to server as a community hub and provide ease of travel throughout the world.
5. Uses the titanium client instead of the classic client. It plays a lot nicer with WinEQ2 than TAKP imo.
7. Mods are friendly and laid back. They're there to help, and if something is out of era, they'll typically fix it if you can provide proof. They also don't baby the raid scene, and don't step in with raid disputes for better or worse. They let players handle it from what I've read.
8. Quests all seem to work well, and Hollowshade Moor's war works great!
9. The Bazaar! It exists, and even has a version that's accessible via the internet! http://p2002.com/bazaar

Cons:
1. The database is off slightly. It's based off TAKP's initial public release, and has been worked on from there. There are some things that are out of era, but for the most part, every bug I've run into tends to favor the player. For example, pathing in kurns is off, and skeletons have next to 0 aggro radius. Great for the player, not quite accurate. This is the only place I've run into it so far. They're also actively working on improving the server with big updates regularly.
2. Small community, big world. To combat this, the devs regularly update ZEM's to create hot zones and encourage grouping.
3. Some areas of the world are less accurate than others. From what I've noticed some of the classic are a little bit more neglected than Velious and Luclin. Upside to this, you're probably going to be leveling in Velious and Luclin zones vs classic zones.

So, how do I get started here?

1. Create an account on the Project 2002 forums: http://p2002.com/forums/. Follow the link at the top of the page depending on what client you're installing.
2. Login and get the client: http://p2002.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40
-This server has both a Windows and Macintosh client available. The public downloads for these clients are on a Google Drive that mods maintain.
- The pre-configured windows client is available here
- The Macintosh client is available here
3. If you're going to box, install wineq2 and configure your boxes https://www.lavishsoft.com/wiki/index.php/WinEQ_2
4. Start killing rats and snakes!
5. Join Ding. It's the server's leveling guild like Friends or Thunderdome on red. They're extremely friendly and give away gear constantly.

Boxing
If you've never multiboxed EQ before, it's actually a lot of fun. EQ combat with just one character is dreadfully dull with a lot of downtime between actions. By 2/3 boxing, it increases the amount of things you have to manage and gives it a similar feel to a more modern mmo. It also lets you be self sufficient and take camps at your leisure. With the population as low as it is, I'd recommend at least running a duo if not a trio.

MACRO EVERYTHING

Useful Boxing Macros

/pause 1, /cast 1 = Casts spell in slot 1 then pause for .1 seconds

Invite your trio - pauses added to account for lag
/pause 2, /target name1
/pause 2, /invite
/pause 2, /target name2
/invite

Cast and Sit - prevents mana regen loss due to your boxes not medding. The pause timing is whatever the cast time is 10x.
/pause x, /cast x
/sit

Follow
/pause 3, /target leader
/follow

Canni Dance
/pause 30, /cast 8
/pause 30, /cast 8
/pause 30, /cast 8
/pause 15, /cast 8
/sit

Initiate with pet class - turn autoattack on assist on when you're low level using /assist on. Turn it off once it's preferable for them to med.
/pause 3, /assist puller
/pause 3, /pet attack
/pause x, /cast x
/sit

Some trios

Nec/Shm/Mnk - Classic shaman/monk duo that's incredibly strong. The addition of the necro adds an amazing support who can dps and provide mana/hp to the trio increasing the rate you can kill things dramatically.

Dru/Enc/Clr - Charm EVERYTHING. Between the druid and enchanter, you've got the ability to charm about any mob in the world, and break any content that requires a single group to take. The trio is also future proof once PoP opens up as you'll probably be the strongest trio in terms of the content you can take on your own due to charm. Extremely strong in almost every regard, but riskier.

Enc/(War/SK/Pal)/Clr - extremely safe steady trio. You can do about any solo camp, but not as fast as Dru/Enc/Clr. Also less strong once PoP opens up.

If there's anything I should add, feel free to mention it, and I'll add it to the OP. Feel free to reach out to me in game for some starter pp and an invite to Ding. My trio is Davidd, Vaughan, and Icke.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Seems like a bad time to launch this server since agnarr just launched and will end at PoP...

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
It's been up since 2015, it's competes with P99 more so than Daybreak.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Agnarr has too much stuff from the later expansions to really appeal to someone looking for a luclin/PoP server. So far it's the most friendly private EQ server I've tried. Currently up to 26 with a monk/shaman/necro duo. I made an enchanter friend who I've formed a somewhat static group in the evenings with. I've also stock piled some gear in case anyone decides to try it out.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Oh, hell. I'll give this a shot.

In as Aeto/Durask

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

It's pretty fun! Glad someone decided to check it out. What did you end up rolling?

If you're on tomorrow, I'll try to reach out to you to get you hooked up with some gear and an invite to Ding, the server's leveling guild, if you haven't gotten an invite yet. There's also a donation vendor that's regularly stocked in the bazaar called freefromfeendig or something like that. You should be able to get a full set of basic armor from it. Once you're able to do kurns I recommend heading there. The skeletons drop a good bit of coin compared to most dungeons at that level, as well as a good bit of leather armor.

Next is a bonus exp weekend if anyone is interested but on the fence.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 12, 2017

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Monk/Shaman/Necro, made it to level 3. Woo.

I'm not sure how much I'll be around this week but I'll keep an eye out for you as well.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Oh nice! I'll be farming up the mats for some black panther armor. If it doesn't take too long, I'll try to farm an extra set of the better pieces for you plus whatever hand me downs I have.

Edit: Added some useful macros for boxing to the OP.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 13, 2017

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Was farming away in Kurn's last night and a guy rolled in with a 60 mage/shaman and a 10 warrior and invited me to get PL'd, got to 12 pretty fast. :feelsgood:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Can confirm, is a fun server, will be back once I get tired of Agnarr.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Isn't petswarm 3 boxes pretty good in Luclin/POP era? I vaguely remember BL/Mage/Necro or enchanter or druid being shockingly good because BL pets especially got pretty raucous when they had a constant supply of summoned weapons and armor, especially the new PoP summoned stuff. Necro as the third gives you fear and snare and feign death. Enchanter gets you crowd control, Boon of the Garou / Trickster's Torment and consistent charms. Druid gets you thorns, buffs, teleports, and healing/regen, and animal/plant charm.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 17, 2017

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah, pet swarm is really common. Ive been really enjoying nec/shm/monk. Next to no downtime and it's easy to deal with bigger pulls with all the off tanks.

The most common trio I see people rolling are ench/dru/clr, ench/mag/clr, and ench/tank/clr. Enchanter is definitely crazy strong throughout luclin and PoP. Druids are great for the same reason as enchanters, but they also bring off heals, no damage snare, and ports! Magicians apparently get really beefy with their new pets in PoP plus the epic pet is as great as ever especially with luclin AAs. They also combo well with enchanters since they get access to malo, but don't really overlap with enchanters in terms of utility unlike shaman. I haven't seen a ton of beastlords, but their pets and the beastlords themselves are really tanky from the few I've grouped with.

Regardless, I don't really think you can go wrong, and at worst, it's pretty easy to reroll or level alts as necessary especially when you have access to level 60 farming and power leveling. They also have a bonus exp weekend every 3rd weekend of the month so it's fairly alt friendly. I've seen a lot of power leveling groups looking for members to help max out the exp bonus.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Wow, I had some crazy luck last night. I got bored and decided to camp the AC while I watched some movies and cleaned my house. Right as I was about to log, the AC spawns. I always stay for another spawn on the off chance it pops one more time. Lo and behold, the AC pops again. Now both my monk and necro will be getting jboots.

• Locked thread