Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

The Bee posted:

Yes, but:

Seriously, what was the deal with that move? Between that and the elbow to the corner botchfest, a newer friend I've watched with basically thinks Bayley is a complete joke.

Bayley definitely has worse parts of her offence, it's kind of weird that she was still working out kinks while on the main roster. That shouldn't have ever happened, thankfully she cut short her wacky waving inflatible tube man celebration, that poo poo was stupid.

Her character kind of has an awkward thing that she's learned to use a bit of anger and determination, but doesn't hate her opponents. She's learned she can strike people, essentially, but she hasn't worked out character wise what her character wants to do (I don't think she'd be a great technical/suplexing wrestler).

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also that Dean/Miz segment was an example of how to do something like This Is Your Life right. That was a good segment, and I'm bored of the feud even.

It's the best use of Miz's character as a weird mix of cocky, insecure and paranoid. Plus different things are good, and Miz attacking a bear, and beating up a box are great.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I have followed her since before she was even that popular in NXT and the fact that people actually believe this is absolutely baffling.

Because her fanbase amongst male adults was also super high. Kids loved her, grown men loved her. She was positivity, fun, people liked her quest, and they liked the positivity of her on top as well.

WWE keeps having heels everywhere, and what faces they do have keep been massive dicks (each of the shield, Cena). Bayley being fun, trying her hardest, proud, happy. She seemed amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

The fact that WWE's actions have made it clear that the only thing they would allow to replace Cena was something functionally identical to Cena rather than something new, so people were hoping that we could get somebody we like in that spot instead of somebody we hate.

Instead we got Roman. On the bright side, he taught us just how dumb we were to not like Cena while we had him.

Late era Cena is a different beast. He's great in the ring, on the mic, doesn't bury people, is super likeable always, and doesn't hog the main event keeping others down.

Earlier he went from being bad, to just NEVER NOT BEING THE CHAMP. There aren't any stars you want to have them be THE loving MAN for 4+ years.

bradzilla posted:

Is the Quinoa Clutch Joe's only main roster finisher? It loving sucks. Bring back the muscle buster.

His side slam is his main roster finisher. They apparently decided the Muscle Buster is too dangerous, a year after the Tyson Kidd incident.

WadeBartender posted:

Roman actually knows how to wrestle good matches though, the only thing Alexa anywhere near his level is the ability to make nerds horny but Roman's still better at that.

He's quite frustrating, they never go even 2 months without giving people another reason to hate Roman.

Like he's quite good in many ways, but the way he's presented is just awful.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Why does Balor always pose like that?

He's actually an awkward goober who loves playing with Lego.

Eli Wiggum posted:

Watching a little bit of SDL from last night. People talk about Charlotte being bad on the mic, but Naomi...woof

Trying to balance seeming like a normal human and being a wrestling character on a TV show is an awkward balance. Both are currently not succeeding at this.

Incessant Excess posted:

House of horrors was worse because it was a bigger waste of time, at least Alexa/Bayley was over quick.

Alexa/Bayley might damage Bayley long term worse than House of Horrors will either Bray or Orton. I really wish comparing who the booking harmed more wasn't a constant WWE discussion.

My favourite part about House of Horrors is still that The Spooky Swamp wizard got back to the arena by taking a limo, while the regular wrestler just teleported.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Anytime Cena is on Total Bella's is loving golden

Watching Bryan and Brie love each other is amazing, and Cena alternating between weird robot, goofy rear end, and father figure trying to talk some sense into Nicole is the heart of the show.

Incessant Excess posted:

Bayley's last clean singles win was December 12th against Alicia Fox.

I wonder how little more WWE needs to break me with their booking. I feel like The Party from 1984 is trying to make me see things their way.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Dr. Dirt posted:

Well, who isn't, really?

I'm not trying to say I'm more cool than Finn, but it certainly explains his photo posing.

Cardboard Box posted:

it's just wrestling, friend

The goal of wrestling is to get a genuine emotional response from a fake sport. In this case, Roman has created the genuine emotion of rage.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

In theory, and in big brush strokes, the Bayley as sweet innocent nerd being terrorized by mean bitchy blonde cheerleader Alexa only to eventually triumph when it matters is a great story, and should be a simple way to play off both women's strengths.

Alexa gets to me mean and nasty and eviscerate Bayley on the mic. Bayley makes sad faces, and is sweet and vulnerable. Then in the blowoff match, Bayley destroys Alexa using her superior wrestling skills whilst the bully, (Alexa) begs for mercy which she does not get.

YAY! bully gets comeuppance, Bayley wins important match, (preferably for title or something), and everybody gets over.

The thing is WWE have taken some of the elements of this simple simple story and hosed it up terribly. The 'this is yourlife' which was obviously designed to show Alexa being mean to the poor innocent virgin ended up being badly written and poorly thought out. The 'big' match where Bayley was going to unleash the beast ended up beinga squash and a lame squash at that. All the while never allowing Bayley to connect with the kiods in the crowd, which is one of her great strengths.

So I am still on the side that says that Bayley SHOULD have been an easy peasy slam dunk in terms of overness and merch sales, but that WWE have hosed it up by being bad at what they do.

The biggest issue with "This is your life" continues to be that none of it was denied. It wasn't lies that Alexa made up because she's mean, it's true.

'Bayley hasn't kissed a boy' may actually be a storyline they think is worth doing. Daniel Bryan is a loser vegan virgin was a poo poo storyline, but at least it ended with revealing he was dating Gail Kim, and that most of it was just the Bella's making mean assumptions and being pushy while he tried to be nice. Bayley will get nothing like that.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

and then people blame bayley when the same poo poo booking happens to her that happens to everyone the crowd actually connects with

As an ardent Bayley fans, she has major flaws which are sadly showcased far too often.

But I blame the booking more than the wrestler, another WWE trademark.

Jerusalem posted:

I love Daniel "What the gently caress are you gonna do, fire me?" Bryan so much :allears:

I really wonder who looked at Daniel Bryan and thought "Let's give this man who is obviously heavily frustrated at the WWE and his career a live microphone!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Not to mention it's​ a dumb analogy because it wouldn't mean poo poo.

When Bayley makes 10s of millions of dollars and realises she doesn't need the WWE's poo poo. Right now she financially sure as poo poo isn't CM Punk.

dsriggs posted:

In fairness, Mickie James was heels bullying her, so we were supposed to think that was bullshit. No excuses for babyface Trish bodyshaming Molly, though.

The plotline was made because WWE thought that she was, and it bled through. She really didn't get as much comeuppance as you'd want for a bullying storyline.

VJeff posted:

I really wish she'd go "I'm married, moron." at this point.

I wish that she'd claim a lot of the bullshit Alexa has said about her was lies, but that hasn't happened. 'Bayley: this is your life' is canon. Why don't heels make up bullshit just because they're jerks any more?

• Locked thread