Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

OAquinas posted:

wait, what even did you need all those damned sapphires for, anyway?

Points. Adventure game design was still in the "Zork era" where you got points for grabbing random treasures. (Never mind that Daventry has a magic chest that provides unlimited gold.)

I think there might be a bit somewhere (in the KQ Companion?) about giving them to Valanice to go with her wedding dress, but don't quote me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Xander77 posted:

The worst KQ game. And that's saying something.

I dunno. 4 has its moments. Which I won't say even in spoilers.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
And changing the walking speed from 33 to 45 or up to 78 if you were crazy.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bloops Crusts posted:

I love SQ5. Definitely the high point of the Space Quest series. There are others who say it's SQ3 or SQ4. I look at them funny.

I think Nidoking is doing a LP of that game right now btw.

Nidoking LPing Space Quest? I thought that was long over. I feel like I recall posting in it at the end ("Thank you for Let's Playing Space Quest. As usual, you've been a real pantload.") but I have never managed to figure out archive search, so I can't verify.

EDIT: Or I could be smart and Google it: Space Quest Collection
by Nidoking

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 17, 2017

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Shame there's no magic marker to go with the magic wand.

Not in this Sierra game, anyway...

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

So time to show off just what the magic map can do.

KQ6: Gwydion feels a strange pulling sensation.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Erpy posted:

That results in the message: "Your own death would result from that. He's too powerful for you."
Even when asleep? That's pretty drat powerful.

My brother tried PUT PILLOW OVER WIZARD'S FACE back in the day.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

This ship here is also the hard time limit I mentioned. Once you finish the Oracle sequence, the pirates pull into port, and leave after exactly half an hour has passed.

I remember wondering if you could use the amber stone in this case to try to get to Daventry. Tempted to load the game up and play with it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avaSdC0QOUM

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

march a whole army up to deal with the dragon?

To be fair, it's a three-headed fire breathing dragon. You'd need one heck of an army.

(I know King's Quest has very little to do with D&D, but I recently did the math on how many peasant archers it would take to beat even a young dragon in D&D. The answer is somewhere between 400 and infinity, depending on the assumptions you make.)

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bregor posted:

It's like someone verbally described a human face to an alien that had never seen one before, and then the alien had to recreate it with MSPaint.

I feel like all the Sierra games during the pre-VGA SCI era had portraits by Uncanny Valley Artists. See especially: Leisure Suit Larry 2.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm pretty sure the usual way to tame a unicorn is to have a spare virgin laying around. I hope someone at Sierra asked why Rosella, a 17 year old princess, needed a bow and arrow to capture it and was fired immediately.

Yeah, I'm twelve.

This was also a 17-year old princess who was recently almost fed to a dragon. Who says she didn't sneak off with some buff knight the night before...

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

I don't think I could imagine a bigger whiplash between two games of the same era and nominally the same genre.

I went from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade to Loom.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
"Loook OUT, GraHAM! A gaazebooooo!"

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Poil posted:

:suicide:

Why? Just, whyyyy?

Phew, SIERRA!

(stolen from Incredible Machine 3)

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

gegi posted:

I had forgotten the harpies existed. This part of the game is fuzzy in my memory.

As for the hole in the boat, my vague recollection is that the hole part only triggers depending on WHERE YOU ARE STANDING when you look at the boat. Not sure this is true though.

I thought that was the bridle in 4.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

: Alexander pulls out his magic map.

Cannot unhear.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

No, it's just useless pedantry from prescriptivists.

It's all nonsense up with which I will not put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
By all that's beauteous, fair, and sightly,
four morons do I sleep with nightly!

I love that line.

• Locked thread