Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Honestly, that counts as one of the less dickish things this game (and series) will subject you to. Even with the limited number and variety of games available back then, I have no idea how the King's Quest series survived. There was no point in time where they were ever anything but an exercise in futility and frustration.

oldskool posted:

Sounds like it needed some more ports.
Eh, the whole "you might die at any time from anything" is part of the classic adventure game motif. All the way back to when these were text parsers without graphics a'la Zork or Adventure. Sierra may have cranked it up, but it was part of the genre DNA long before King's Quest and its ilk. So players kinda knew what they were signing up for.

And really, the small deaths aren't an issue because you should be saving near constantly, so it's just a minute or so diversion. In fact, some deaths are actually kinda entertaining so it's worth screwing up intentionally.

The *real* dick moves are when you subtly screw up so you're secretly hosed but can't find out about it for a long while. The most common example AFAICT is an event which only happens once at a specified time but oh poo poo, you weren't there (because you-the-player didn't know about it), so it happened without you... and you only realize much much later that you're missing a critical item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Does the number of points have any effect beyond serving as a rough 'progress' bar? I know some adventure games have events that only occur when you have a certain number of points or where you have a little running title that changes (e.g., 0-30 "rookie", 30-60 "novice", etc).

DoubleNegative posted:

Since there's a lot of discussion about all sorts of adventure game titles, would other people be interested in doing LPs of those if I turned this into a general adventure games megathread?
If other people contribute LP's, I'd love reading them, but the only ones I've played well enough to show off myself are the King's Quest series and you're rocking it here.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Are you going to post the map before closing the game out? This one doesn't seem to have any one-way twisty passages but it'd be nice to see where we've been.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Can you swim into the ocean you started at?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

If you fall down from the top screen of those stairs, does it actually transition screens all the way down? Or do you just fall and get the "you fell and died, idiot" message?

Also, swim that colorful ocean in the last update.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

What happens if you just screw around for a while after he gives you a chore? gently caress you, I'm not cleaning a chicken coop.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Zeniel posted:

Hmm the constant wall hanging punishments makes me wonder if its time dependent, maybe he does different punishments only occur on different days perhaps?

Nah, I think it's just a straight 25% chance and Double just kept getting the same result. Also possible that there's some random number seed so if he tried all his deaths in a row (likely), pseudo-RNG kept spitting out the same result.

Don't worry, he's still got plenty of time to screw up and get punished :getin:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

In the shop, do you need to know what to buy? If so, are there 'dummy items' that aren't purchase-able? Or buyable useless trap items?

Or does the game have mercy on you and stock only what you need?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Wait, so there's a 30 minute timer from the Oracle ... and Mannion's "journeys" take 30 minutes. Can you just wait till Mannion leaves and just haul rear end to the spider web and the rest of the game without polymorphing Mannion? Or is there some hidden trigger where he hunts your rear end down on one specific screen if you don't morph him regardless of the timer?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

GeminiSun posted:

For that matter, why did Manannan even kidnap a prince, instead of some poor peasant's son? The disappearance of a royal infant is not inconspicuous!!
I don't know if this is true in this game, but traditional mythologies and legends usually give Royalty and Noble Blood more value and magical power than random commoners. Blood sacrifices in particular are usually stated or implied to be much more effective with a noble (typically a virgin princess) than just a nameless peasant.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 30, 2017

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Wow. Just wow.

I thought that was so ridiculous that I actually just went and checked GameFAQs about this because it looked so absurd. Some interesting items about the ship:
1.) It must be some element of RNG involved, because the FAQs all have contradictory information on how long the wait is. One writer says around 5 to 10 minutes, one says "exactly 10 minutes after you enter the ship" (obviously wrong), one says he was waiting 30 (!) minutes, and one doesn't list a time but suggests you go do IRL chores or exercise.
2.) Apparently you can "look map" and it changes as the ship moves, so you can keep looking at it like a kid in school wondering why the clock moves...so...slowly.
3.) There's apparently a way to climb on deck, but fall down the ladder onto the crate so you're a floating corpse. I vouch for nothing here, but this is how it's described:

FAQ by 'InterranKitten' posted:

Save the game before trying this one. On the middle deck of the pirate ship, fall through the hole that contains the ladder. When Gwydion falls to the cargo hold, try to jump on the ladder. (Have the command "jump on ladder" typed out before you fall.) Gwydion will be able to move around the entire screen, including over the crates and walls of the ship and so on, but will not be able to leave the screen or do anything as the game considers Gwydion as being dead.

Is the pirate's neck gray so it blends in? Or is this just a graphics glitch / awkwardly timed screenshot?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

So looks like we have our work cut out for us. It also looks like Graham is the worst king imaginable. Wouldn't it have been prudent to, y'know, call up the kingdom's levies and march a whole army up to deal with the dragon? Surely hiding in the castle and acquiescing to every stupid demand the beast makes is the worst possible thing to do. This is why armies exist in the first place.
So you're saying that "Just give the throne to whatever dude happens to get back our treasures regardless of his actual knowledge" isn't a good basis for a system of government? Shocking. :sigh:

Glad to see the end of this one. I've never seen 4 at all so kinda looking forward to it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

KQ5 was my introduction to the series. :shepface:
Mine too. And it was rough even though I enjoyed it.

Though on the plus side, it introduced me to GameFAQs when I realized I couldn't figure a puzzle out. So hell, it's probably one of the 5-10 most important games in my gaming life solely due to that.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

How long are these games? I only ever (successfully) beat 5 and remember it taking the better part of a day even when I knew what to do, thanks to this new thing called online walkthroughs*. But I don't know if that's just bad memory or unneeded exploration or if 5 legitimately is longer, because 1-4 thus far have seemed like you could crank them out in like an hour each.

*The idea that you could get full-length step by step walkthroughs for free was loving revolutionary and mind-blowing in like 1992 when I was playing KQ5. Life changing levels of incredibleness.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Is it possible to take the amulet off in the middle of the forest? I assume it's just the same blasted with magic we saw before?

Also, did you trap the elf on the first emerald or did you let him steal two before kidnapping him? Does it matter?

quote:

This puzzle, pardon the pun, rubs me the wrong way.
That pun would fit right in as a Graham death pun.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 23, 2017

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

"Ran out of emeralds in the forest? Buy a 5 Emerald pack for only $.99 or buy a 50 Emerald pack for $9.99 and get 10 emeralds free!"
Or a little hint guy in the UI popping up and pestering you to pay for hints.
"Welcome to the forest! Have you forgotten something? Get a hint for $0.99*, more detail for $1.99**, and a full solution for $3.99!***"

*Something sticky might help here...Pay an additional $1 for another hint or an additional $2.99 for a full solution!
**I think you should be friendly with bees before you enter the forest...Pay an additional $1.99 for a full solution!
***(Full paragraph describing how to get honey)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

quote:

This is also another place where you can gently caress up yet again. William said one silver coin each, but he's more than happy to take gold in exchange for a pie, and not give us change. A gold coin, a golden needle, or a golden heart doesn't matter to him.

Let's just buy our pie and get outta here before I start another giant rant about dead man walking scenarios.
In fairness, if you're enough of an idiot to offer gold when the shopkeep explicitly says the price is a silver coin, you deserve your dead man walking scenario as a punishment for your lovely negotiating skills.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Snorb posted:

I read somewhere that Graham's 38 in King's Quest V.
Interesting. If you work backwards (unknown gap but probably ~1 year between 3/4 and 5, 19 years between KQ2 and KQ3, unknown gap but again probably ~1 year between KQ1 and KQ2), you get Graham being about age 17 in KQ1. Which seems a little unrealistic for Daventry's best knight, but that's not really out of line for your typical video game protagonist, so meh.

I just searched online real quick and apparently the official hint books for KQ6 and KQ7 included background lore stating that Graham was 19 when he took the throne in KQ1. It was just from an article summarizing that, not an actual copy of the hint books, so take it with some salt, but that's not too far off of the 38 you're mentioning.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Assuming you came prepared with the items ahead of time, that update seems surprisingly logical and free of bullshit:
>Give the animal something that makes noise when shook to play with. If you’ve ever owned a cat or dog, this seems extremely plausible.
>This is the era of games where you were still expected to map by hand as you go, so the ‘maze’ you show doesn’t seem awful - a few dead ends but no one-way stairs or twisty passages or other Zork-style insanity.
>Picking a lock with a hairpin is actually real world feasible.
>Looting the kitchen should be standard practice by now. And since the game points out the peas, this is on you if you open the cabinet but dont grab them.
> Giving the pretty girl the locket is fairly obvious. I mean, who the hell else in a remote shithole island castle is going to own a locket? The old evil wizard?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Eshettar posted:

Why does Mordack need Alexander to return his brother to normal anyway?
I’m guessing that the spell can only be reversed by the person who cast it. So even if Mordack can figure out the spell that Alexander used, only Alex is the one who can cast the counter-spell.

Or maybe something where part of the ‘wizard’ who cast the curse (Alex) is needed in order to create the antidote.

Both are fairly common concept/tropes in fantasy settings, specifically because it sets up good situations for revenge like this.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Yes, there are two paths to the end of the game; both paths are different, but the only difference at the end is who is present in the final cutscene. The longer path is a lot more fun than the shorter one, as well. So to that end, I will just show off the path to the best ending and full points, which also tells a better story.
Hm, I didn't actually realize there were two paths, I always just assumed that if you didn't follow the full-points path you'd eventually hit a DMW scenario. I totally understand not replaying the game a separate time to show it off, but if you wouldn't mind, I'd find it interesting if you called out the shorter path/optional items as you go along.

quote:

The stars! I saw the stars outside her window! I can navigate by the stars!
This might be a dumb question, but is this actually possible? I know you can navigate directions based on the stars, but can you actually glance at a star pattern from miles away, look up at the stars above you, and then figure out the proper directions to sail to get from here-to-there?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I actually don't think that pixel hunt is too bad. One you have no time limit and can come back. Two, since it's the first screen if there's anywhere you're likely to sit around for a few extra seconds just staring at the screen, it's the first screen of the game while you're figuring out the interface.

DoubleNegative posted:

: Cassima's parents both became ill and died while she was gone. Cassima is sequestered in mourning for them, as befits a princess. She is not receiving visitors of ANY kind.
: Even if she were, I do not think YOUR visit would be... appropriate. You see, it is time for Cassima to take her responsibilities seriously. With her parents gone, she no longer has the luxury to be a carefree maiden.
: As was her parents' wish, Cassima and I are to be wed. We shall rule the kingdom together. I assure you, our marriage is all Cassima wants now. As a prince and a gentleman, it would be best that you leave before there is any further... embarrassment.
Both parents became ill and died at once, leaving Abdul in power. And their last wish just happened to be to make Abdul king. What an amazing coincidence!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Mythology.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Bregor posted:

That’s a lot of posts with the CIA highlighter.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

So here’s some non-spoiler discussion: If they don’t know how many islands exist, are they really part of the kingdom? I mean, technically it’s within our vaguely defined boundaries, but you don’t really rule it.

Also, if we ever get a viable weapon, we need to stab that cloaked dude in the bookstore. No honest person does the Ringwraith look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

So I gather the 'exam' puzzle requires certain items, but unlike earlier games, it's not a DMW scenario because after you die, you can then go get whatever you're missing? Seems like a big improvement.

Also, your register of deaths for this update is missing boiling yourself like a lobster.

• Locked thread