Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That is a ridiculous amount of priceless jewelry stashed in random completely insecure outdoor locations.

I don't suppose by any chance it's all fake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You need to give Neptune his trident yourself in order to gain favor from him; he then will give you the key in exchange. If you steal from him and then give him his weapon back, he'll kill you with it.

It's finicky but it does make sense.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have to wonder if the snake is a reference to ADVENT, the original text adventure game, which has a room where "a huge green fierce snake bars the way!"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

It's pretty much the first thing I would have tried, but maybe I'm insane.

Really? You would have tried it before trying the sword that has a serpent engraved on it, that does in fact kill the snake, but then locks you out of the poison-immunity sugar cube?

Because it's not just that "USE BRIDLE ON SNAKE" makes no goddamn sense, it's that they provided you with a wrong but apparently correct solution that fucks you over later on in the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

where the red fern gropes posted:

how is king graham going to take his bride back across the bridge

It'd be hilarious if the only way back across the bridge was to get a ride from the pegasus, so if you killed the snake then you'd just be stranded there at the end of the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

whitehelm posted:

There may be goons too young to know this reading the thread, so I'd like to point out that both types are "legit" floppies. They're called that because the circular disk inside is flexible, as opposed to a hard disk drive.

As a kid I once confused the hell out of my dad, because I wanted to know how much the 3.5" floppies cost, and tried to describe them as "hard" to contrast them with the 5.25" ones.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bregor posted:

That image reveals my inner :spergin: because it should be XLVIII.

The ancient Romans were super-inconsistent on this front, there's no established standard.
:goonsay:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

Find some way to share that shield through the whole kingdom, and then you'd have a point. As it is, however, even if he has a reliable way to kill the dragon it would still do immense harm to anybody not bearing the shield.

Which is why you take the shield, and your sword which you've demonstrated reasonable skill with, and you go and kill the dragon.

Daft idiot probably just keeps trying to bridle the thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
KQ5 was my introduction to the series. :shepface:

I got it in some bundle that also included a cyberpunk first-person adventure game (Rise of the Dragon) and possibly one or two others. As a dumb kid, I had no idea what I was doing in any of them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Want to convince someone something is valuable? Tell them that someone else values it. Who cares if the ogre can't actually spend the golden eggs? What matters is that everyone else would dearly love to have his golden egg-laying chicken, and they can't. This is the definition of (American) happiness.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

They could've saved even more and cut the entire drat cave, or limit it to one screen of pitfalls the lantern would let you avoid. But that was a little beyond design philosophy at the time.

KQ1 came out in '83 and KQ4 came out in '88. That's five years to think about what you're doing and what you're trying to accomplish here. It's not that they didn't understand how to design videogames. This poo poo was intentional.

Moreover, it was intentional despite feedback from people that played the game! I can guarantee you people sent letters to Sierra complaining about the bridlesnake, or the waiting for the pirates, or that bridge in KQ2. So they committed these crimes of game design fully cognizant that people didn't like what they were doing, I guess out of some misguided idea that game design was like sadomasochism?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I was honestly expecting that we'd have to rob the drunk of his clothes.

I "played" KQ5 back in the day, and while I didn't make it very far, I do remember managing to reach the temple. I couldn't get past it because the bandits always killed me, and I figured I needed to find an item elsewhere that would let me deal with them. Not that I'd have to hide.

I was not very good at KQ5, but I don't consider that to be any kind of badge of shame. This game is super dumb.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

Andrew Plotkin wrote a plot thread analyzer as part of the automatic puzzle learning in Hadean Lands, and it has a field day on KQ5. (Even with only 2/3 of the game coded into it, it found 872 Dead Man Walking routes.) The problem is that there's a whole bunch of one-way gates in the plot, and if you miss anything from behind one of those gates, you're guaranteed to die or get stuck later on. But it's difficult to remove those gates from the plot because, well, it makes sense that they're gates.

This is why you adapt the plot to the puzzles, instead of the other way around. To make an analogy, a lot of 2D platformer games (Super Mario Bros. and the like) don't cope well when the player gets into a small, confined space, where there's no room to stand up. It's a simple fact of implementing the physics for such games that it's impossible to cope well. So the solution generally is to avoid having the situation come up in the first place: the games don't create small, confined spaces that the player can wedge themselves into.

Similarly, if the only way you can think of including a game mechanic in your game requires it to allow the possibility of dead-man-walking scenarios, you should just not include that mechanic in the game.

(SMB1 and 3 did still allow the player to get wedged into terrain, which they handled by ejecting the player through the terrain, to the right. But these are notable, and weird, exceptions to the rule.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

How the hell were you supposed to figure THAT out without a hint line??!?

Try to use every item in every location on every object. Most of them won't have interactions, though I'm sure there's some way to misuse and waste the honeycomb, given what I've seen of this game so far.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

Or a little hint guy in the UI popping up and pestering you to pay for hints.
"Welcome to the forest! Have you forgotten something? Get a hint for $0.99*, more detail for $1.99**, and a full solution for $3.99!***"

*Something sticky might help here...Pay an additional $1 for another hint or an additional $2.99 for a full solution!
**I think you should be friendly with bees before you enter the forest...Pay an additional $1.99 for a full solution!
***(Full paragraph describing how to get honey)

The funny thing about this is that plenty of modern interactive fiction games have similar hint systems, just without the money aspect. In the really fancy ones, you can ask for help in any room and get a series of steadily more direct hints about what you need to do, culminating with a complete command transcript for the puzzle. Less-fancy just have a help file with ROT13'd hints or similar.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It is pretty dumb that there's money you can steal from the temple, given that the main trap of the temple is...stealing money from it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Deathwind posted:

The genie/witch puzzle actually isn't that bad. Almost every player would have opened the bottle and it's not out of line for the witch to think Graham was trying to buy his freedom.

As a matter of game design philosophy, many people feel that puzzle games should be beatable through careful thought and observation, without ever reaching a failure state. The problem with the genie is that it means the game requires the player to die at least once (or use spoilers) in a given playthrough to learn what the genie does, i.e. failure is not only expected but mandatory.

One way this could have been solved: let Graham eavesdrop on the bandits at their camp, where they trade stories about their adventures and mention how long the lamp has been there with nobody daring to open it. Give the player a subtle hint that "hey, maybe it's not a great idea to do this." That's all it takes to turn a stupid puzzle into a good (or at least acceptable) one.

But in general, the sheer resistance to logic that these games have is the primary reason they're so awful from a design perspective.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I dont know posted:

It's preserved by being roasted salt cured. Still after several hours of strenuous hiking and climbing on a frozen rear end mountain top, eating heavily salted meat without any water seems like a great way to kill yourself. Salt + elevation + thin air + dehydration means near certain delirium followed by seizures, coma, and then death.

"Graham is feeling a little thirsty".

*five steps later*

*Graham turns into a dessicated mummy and collapses.*

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Snorb posted:

Also, Graham's death scream as he falls off the mountainside is hilariously over-the-top.

This seems like the perfect opportunity to break out the Wilhelm scream.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Graham, don't kid yourself. This is the same Daventry that had to send one of your ancestors on a quest to personally rescue a woman from a dragon because with a population of 7 (3 of which were royalty and the rest were either elderly, outlaws or not human) there wasn't enough people to draft.

Also, this woman's 'realm' consists if her and 2 wolves. What the hell would you need an army for?

That's what he means, though: his army is going to be literally the entire population of his realm, and they're going to bring the fight to the Ice Queen's army of herself and her two wolves.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bloops Crusts posted:

I always enjoyed how ticked off Graham gets with Cedric at this point. Shows the developers were self-aware.

And yet they made Cedric anyway. Self-awaredly irritating the player is still irritating.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Peas wouldn't even work for that gag! They're nowhere near round or hard enough, they'd just end up getting crushed.

Thinking about it, the peas seem representative of one of the big issues with Roberta's puzzle design. If you'd found a bag of marbles, you might reasonably guess that you could use it to trip up a pursuer. It'd take some lateral thinking, but it at least is plausible. But that's too obvious, I guess, so you instead have to find something that, in someone's deranged imagination, could substitute for marbles.

Similarly, honey is not glue and would make a poor sticky trap at best -- couldn't there have been, say, a carpenter in the town that you could nick a tub of glue from? And a small glob of wax isn't going to be sufficient to dam a leak in a boat (or if it is, the leak will be slow enough that you could bail it by hand and be OK). But you could have used a canvas patch. And I'm sure there are plenty of examples from the earlier games as well of the protagonists adapting woefully inadequate substitutes for real tools rather than using those actual tools.

This seems like a reasonable moment to link the famous rant about the death of adventure games, using a particular puzzle from Gabriel Knight 3 to illustrate how badly a "puzzle" can go wrong. (I guess this at least indicates that it's not merely Roberta Williams' fault that these puzzles are so awful)

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 25, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So Crispin's only job in the entire adventure, beyond transporting Graham to the start, is to take a bullet at the end?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Snorb posted:

Crispin's wand would have been way more useful if we could actually do something with it during the game. It's like the rotting fish from Space Quest 6.

At least you don't have the option of not picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

Oh, I agree! But it's a point that can be made without calling people "cunts".

Maybe that poster is Australian.

• Locked thread