Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Is the "thanks for playing.." thing in the floppy version or just the CD? And did anyone ever find out if "to Lisa from O" could be done on the CD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
"Ok, Cedric, let's go back to Daventry!"
"Oooooooooh Graham, why?"
"Well, I'm King. They might not have a palace, but they can still have a king. And anyway, is Mordack in Serenia?"
"Nooooo, we hoooope nooooot. Oooops, wrooooong ooooo. Sooooood it."
"Is there anything or anyone else in Serenia that can help with Mordack?"
"Noooo.."
"Then why would I hang around here instead of investigating where Mordack acted, and where I am THE FRICKING KING?"
"Oooooo.. I ran out of fairy dust."
"So when all of the royal family have been kidnapped, your great idea was to take the one remaining member of the royal family and isolate him miles away?"
"Oooommmmm.."
"You work for bloody Mordack don't you."

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
According to Wikipedia, yes, it does.

And the geography between the two games is different because The Wizard did it.

"There is a scorpion behind the rock."

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I like how Cedric says "pooooisonous" but then the narrator says "venomous" as if just to emphasise that Cedric got it wrong.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
You know, I thought about how I really liked the Weeping Willow theme. Then I thought about how I really liked the Dance Of The Wallflowers in KQ6. Then I realized that they're actually incredibly similar. :p

DoubleNegative posted:

: Why certainly. I'm King Graham of Daventry and this is my friend, Cedric. We're seeking a way to cross the Great Mountains to the ocean on the other side.

When.. did Graham decide that? Cedric told him that Mordack's castle was over east of the snake. He didn't say anything about an ocean. Cedric also told him that alone he would have no chance against Mordack, so shouldn't he be trying to do something else before just marching over there? Or he's obviously enough of an RPG metagamer to know that mysteriously a bunch of stuff will happen on the way there that will result in him being fully prepared by the time he arrives?

hyphz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 16, 2017

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Yea, it isn't just picking up the treasure that kills you. There's a real time limit on the room, even if you're only doing the right things.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Wow, I had no idea about the copy protection either, and it looks blatantly hacked in.

"Graham's energy has suddenly run out!" WTF

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Deathwind posted:

Only half interchangeable, both work on the dog but the stick only works on it.

So throwing the boot at the dog is DWM?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Andrew Plotkin wrote a plot thread analyzer as part of the automatic puzzle learning in Hadean Lands, and it has a field day on KQ5. (Even with only 2/3 of the game coded into it, it found 872 Dead Man Walking routes.) The problem is that there's a whole bunch of one-way gates in the plot, and if you miss anything from behind one of those gates, you're guaranteed to die or get stuck later on. But it's difficult to remove those gates from the plot because, well, it makes sense that they're gates.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

OAquinas posted:

While there are a lot of "NEED to pick up this thing NOW" events that characterize that sort of "gate" issue that speak to issues putting the game together, it's the self-inflicted issues that really exacerbate the problem. For every item that can be used incorrectly, they have to code the interaction and enable the player to do so (as opposed to a generic "that doesn't go with this" or "I can't accept that" blurb). So while it's great that they allow this sort of experimentation--a lot of the items could logically be substituted--they don't follow through and allow a remediation for the intended path.

The vast majority of DMWs in KQ5 are not using a substitutable object, though. I mean, look at a few:

- Entering the witch's forest with the amulet but without the honeycomb (DMW by the end of that section)
- Entering the ice area with the rope, sled, and harp but without the leg of lamb (DMW by the end of that section) or the hammer (DMW at Mordack's loving castle, thanks a bunch)

They're mostly just crossing gates, but in really non-obvious contexts that don't give any idea that the gate is dangerous or the item is relevant to it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

MagusofStars posted:

Is it possible to take the amulet off in the middle of the forest? I assume it's just the same blasted with magic we saw before?

Also, did you trap the elf on the first emerald or did you let him steal two before kidnapping him? Does it matter?

You can only get him with the third one. I think you can use the honeycomb first, but Graham squeezes it on the floor where the third emerald would go.

As for having the rope but not the hammer.. oops. missed a dependency. If you forget to go get the crystal it's a serious downer through

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Not sure if it's kinder to avoid a DMW by introducing a giant spider when it could have players scouting the town for anti-spider items.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
It's odd because even the worst Sierra games find some way of telling you when something bad is inevitable.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
The desert itself is in that category. There's no way to map it other than trying a route, dying, and trying another until you find the oases.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
There's another copy protection check here, by the by. If it comes up and you fail, Graham will "miss" the outcropping and rope the tree.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I think we need to appreciate Sir Greywolf’s imaginative name and inspired voice acting.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Yea, it’s daft. I had Graham eat the pie exactly because the leg of lamb would seem more useful for hostile animals later. And of course, since the eagle eats the whole thing, nothing tells you that Graham wouldn’t do the same..

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
So does Dink’s right arm just disappear when he hugs Graham? Or is he actually bending it in a semicircle to fit it underneath his face?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

bladeworksmaster posted:

King's Quest does indeed work on the "Only the casting wizard can undo the spell" rule here. Side material shows Alexander knows about this and is fully bullshitting Mordack to stall for time, if I'm not mistaken.

Even when Alex knew sod all about magic and was bumbling through a basic book? Wow. Being a wizard must be pretty special. Maybe that’s why Mordack’s so upset. He bought his evil wizard starter kit and then learned that’s actually all there is.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Robindaybird posted:

Apparently according to Jensen, the original puzzle involved a water hose and a bird's nest, but they couldn't get the water to look right.

The cat hair puzzle is infuriating because it's such a departure from Gabriel Knight's more grounded puzzles, I don't think it'd get as much furor if it was in Monkey Island or King's Quest.

Well, yes and no. The problem with cartoon logic puzzles is that once you introduce them, the player will start trying to solve everything in cartoon logic terms... and in those terms there's an infinite number of potential actions and solutions. Since no game could possibly allow for them all, you end up having to guess which cartoon logic the authors meant, which is basically just frustrating and throws actual puzzle solving out the window.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Snorb posted:

Crispin's wand would have been way more useful if we could actually do something with it during the game. It's like the rotting fish from Space Quest 6.

The copy protection checks are supposed to represent you using it, but they don’t appear in the CD version.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Culka posted:

This is just magical.

No more for today

What happens if you play the Windows version with the DOS CD?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
One of the things I remember most about VI is that Abdul is a genuine rear end in a top hat and he fights to the end. If writing a good villain means the viewer richly wanting to see his head staved in by the end, mission accomplished.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

whitehelm posted:

This sounds great to me, let's go swimming.

Will you show us the way to the next island?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
This made me sigh a bit at the writing, though. It’s still KQ.

Glowing eyes and future game events spoiler: Abdul might be a good villain but Shamir is just BS. He’s so powerful there’s no reason Abdul wouldn’t have won instantly. Why didn’t he just give Shamir the nod to leave the room, turn into Cassima, and break Alexander’s heart? Instead of asking Alexander to jump in, why not just teleport behind him and push him in (yes he can touch, he eats a mint while transformed). Why not pretend to be a Sense Gnome while having all five senses? If he can turn into non humans (winged girl) why not the Minotaur and crush Alex right there?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

DarkWorld Dreaming posted:

For whatever reason, Shamir can't bring himself to directly hurt Alexander. Think of it like a D&D long-term control charm spell, with violence being one of those 'not unless everything is at stake' taboos. He's not explicitly forbidden from doing it (because he will move to a direct approach when his master's life is in danger) so much as very much not liking violence.

As for transforming into Cassima, I like Abdul's plan to do so more than yours. Why exactly would Cassima, after being confined to the castle, suddenly show up in town just to dump Alexander and move on? If Shamir was more silver-tongued, he could probably spin a decent lie to make it stick but as we've seen now and later in the game... he's not that.

She wouldn't show up in town. Alexander would go to the palace asking after her, Abdul would say "sure, I'll send my servant to ask her to come down", Shamir walks off and transforms, then returns as Cassima telling Alexander how happy she is with Abdul. Problem solved.

And even if he can't hurt Alexander directly, there's just too many ways someone who can just shapeshift could screw up his plans. He could turn into Alexander and go slap Hakim or rob his shop so that he wouldn't co-operate, or kite the Minotaur; he could call out to the Sense Gnomes, he could turn into a chess piece and screw up Alexander aiding the Queens, there's so many options it's just over the top. I mean, I agree, it is sort of implied that for all his magic he's not actually that smart, but still.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Blind Sally posted:

While turning the page into a heavily redacted federal document is kind of annoying, not only is this game from 1988, but the OP doesn't have any spoiler rules for the thread--they're not breaking any rules. There's nothing wrong with asking people to settle down, but don't be an rear end in a top hat about it.

It is a fair point though. And the discussion will be better once more people can participate!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Yea, ok. My point was: as we go through the game, if you take a shot every time a shapeshifting/illusioncasting, teleporting dude could have ruined everything for Alex (even without killing him) but doesn’t, you’ll be blind drunk by the end. It’s a fairly common screw up when writing the trickster archetype, but a big hole in the game’s writing imho.

Also my autocorrect changed that to “take a poo poo” which I don’t suggest trying.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 5, 2017

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

MagusofStars posted:

So I gather the 'exam' puzzle requires certain items, but unlike earlier games, it's not a DMW scenario because after you die, you can then go get whatever you're missing? Seems like a big improvement.

Also, your register of deaths for this update is missing boiling yourself like a lobster.

You can just use the magic map and haul rear end out of there if you realise you don’t have an item you need.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I just love the fairytale ending of the rhyme here when you solve it.

Oh, and you can magic map out of there in any of the 15 second blocks, so there’s no DMW here either.

It’s so good I’ll forgive how the gnomes, just based on having heard “a man” from one of their buddies, suddenly become capable of finding and grabbing Alex’s arms and legs..

On the other hand HOLY poo poo the new portrait for Grovenor is terrifying.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Nidoking posted:

I think you can even come back later and try for the pearl again if you miss it the first time, but I could be wrong about that. Of more immediate interest is that while I don't recall there being a special message for using the feather instead of the rabbit's foot, there is a unique rhyme for trying the flute instead of the nightingale.

Since you mentioned it, I vaguely remembered that rhyme at a completely random moment last night. Something like

A flute’s sound is a pretty thing,
But a man must play it, that’s the sting.
(Cue getting thrown in the ocean)

• Locked thread