Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
What about going to a CUNY? The tuition is fairly low, might even be entirely covered with a Pell grant, allowing you to use the Stafford loans to cover cost of living. You're over 24, so you're eligible for the higher loan limits for independent students. Worst case, you may need to take out a few thousand in private loans if you can't tighten your belt enough, but with a realistic career path in mind, it should be a manageable amount.

EDIT: I also remember getting a separate grant from NYS called TAP when I went to college, which should make a CUNY even more affordable.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Is it that far out of reach though?

CUNY tuition: $6,330/year
Fees: ~$650/year
12 monthly Metrocards: $1452/year
Annual rent: 12x $650 = $7800
Total:$16,232

Pell Grant: $5,815
TAP Grant: $5,165
Max Stafford loans Juniors & Seniors: $12,500 ($5,500 are subsidized)
Total:$23, 580

You should be getting close to the max of these grants if you're as broke as you say.

That's $7,348 leftover or $612/month for food, utilities, other miscellaneous expenses when only considering the most basic of financial aid options. Budget is tight, but not impossible. Plus any small scholarships you get or other aid the school might offer increases this buffer, as well as if you manage to pay rent towards the lower end of your range. You can also see if you can get a job manning the library or whatever BS work they offer students to do part time.

EDIT: NYC's minimum wage is $10.50/hour for small employers (less than 10 employees) and $11/hour for large employers, are you sure your per diem is really worthwhile? You're probably not evading as much in taxes as you think.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007

Alder posted:

This odd obsession with my SAT is a bit extreme as it's been nearly one decade since I took the SATs and I'm already in enrolled college and not transferring out. Colleges don't care about my SAT? They do care if I can repay grants/loans if I don't graduate on time though.

Just because I can max out loans/grants does NOT mean it's the best idea because you need to repay them back even if it takes me the next 30-40 years.

I have the most boring major ever: It's Computer Information Systems part of Baruch's business program.

Grants do not have to be repaid unless you obtained them fraudulently. You'd be on the hook for ~$25k of federal loans, which is very manageable. It's about $250/month on the 10 year repayment plan and unless you do something stupid like just ignore them and let them default, you have income based repayment plans.

• Locked thread