Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am not very familiar with NY min wage, but your goal does not seem to be very realistic. 30k is about 150% of the min wage in your city. Given your lack of education, what makes you think that that is feasible? Specially when you indicate that it must be a cushy office job. I think you should set your sights lower.

But to begin with, why do you refuse to go to college? It makes sense to take out a hefty loan if need be, so long as you computed the ROI on your major and it is reasonable. What was your SAT? Why can't you get a partial ride if you claim to be so poor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alder posted:

I can't go to college because even with govt loans I can't afford it. The $30k is more of a very far away optimistic future goal than immediate one.

The only reason I could attend for 2 years is when I lived at home and my parent paid for the rest and I didn't need room & board.
Look, it is quite simple. ***IF*** you are suitable for college, then cost (in and of itself) should not be a concern. You should take out however much you require, at as low an interest rate as you can obtain. It is quite unlikely that somebody as poor as you claim to be is unable to qualify for sufficient grants and loans.

The more important question is whether you are suitable for college. If your SAT is above 1200 upon 1600 and you are willing to put in the work, then go for it. Just don't pick a poo poo major with no career prospects and a poor ROI.

You asking about how to get a better lovely job is really not seeing the big picture, because you shouldn't be looking for a lovely job to begin with!!! Unless your SAT is below 1200, in which case you need to disclose this. Hard to give advice when you don't tell us poo poo.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alder posted:

This odd obsession with my SAT is a bit extreme as it's been nearly one decade since I took the SATs and I'm already in enrolled college and not transferring out. Colleges don't care about my SAT? They do care if I can repay grants/loans if I don't graduate on time though.

Just because I can max out loans/grants does NOT mean it's the best idea because you need to repay them back even if it takes me the next 30-40 years.

I have the most boring major ever: It's Computer Information Systems part of Baruch's business program.

My brother did construction but I don't think many companies would hire a woman over anyone else.
I am asking about SAT to estimate your chance of graduating from a good prospects major. Just because one college in the country allowed you to enroll does not actually mean that you are college ready. There is a massive difference between enrolling and actually graduating, as your own case so readily illustrates.

That being the case, given your SAT score, I withdraw my advice to consider college. The other posters will be better able to advise you on a suitable trade, as I am not familiar.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's more a question of "Do you have the aptitude for college?" than whether the college cares about it. Are you a person who is good at studying, or do you sit down at a desk and hate every minute of it and dream of doing something more practical? You can't afford to take out big loans if you aren't going to finish. But if you *are* going to finish, it will benefit you.
I think her answer has already been clear enough on this. Makes me think of the other poster who asked here last week if it makes sense to go to film school in order to secure a stable well-paying career. Lol.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alder posted:

This would make more sense if one believed college were based on a meritocracy not a business
This is very true and applicable within the context of enrolling into college. I am not a SJW by far, but I quite agree with your sentiment here.

That is not what we are saying. We are saying that someone of your ability has little realistic hope of ***GRADUATING*** from college with a valuable major because of your intellectual constraints. Do you get the difference? There is a big difference between signing up for those "eat the 2kg steak in 30mins and it is free" challenges and actually completing the challenges. Signing up is the easy part here.

You do realise what the 6 years graduation rate is for students with SAT below 1200/1600, right? What makes you think you are different when so many of your intellectual peers have flunked out? Just as you yourself have, actually. What? Second try makes good?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's not very nice, John Smith. I see where you got your avatar! I'm more concerned about calling the major "boring" than wanting to imply the OP is a moron. If a person doesn't like to study, then studying with so many many financial challenges will be extra hard.
That is because I am not a very nice person. And I would justify that I am the good guy in this specific context. SA is often a cesspool of unjustified encouragement. Encouraging a child to go for it and try to fly off a roof like Superman isn't very nice either.

I don't think the OP is a moron since she has the ability to post and morons are generally illiterate. I do think she is outright stupid or at least of limited intellect. And stupid people shouldn't go to college. When said stupid person asks you, you should honestly and forthrightly advise them ***NOT TO*** go to college.

PS: I mean seriously. Can you believe her line of reasoning that it doesn't matter how poo poo her SAT is, the mere fact that she found a college in the US willing to enroll her demonstrates that she is fit for college?!?!? Specially after she already flunked out the first time around. Clearly aspiring stupid material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I hope reverse psychology drives the OP to succeed just to spite you.
If it was within her ability, then I would be wrong to begin with. Stupid is as stupid does. Those inspirational stories in the movies of how literal idiots overcame their challenges in life and pull through despite everything are inspirational precisely because that is not the norm. You don't often see movies about stupid people who flunk out of college.

Alder posted:

Please refrain from quoting/replying to him since he's been blocked for going OT/spam.
Truth hurts huh. Why even bother coming to ask advice when you cannot emotionally accept advice pointing out that you are not suitable for college?

• Locked thread