Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Here's my hot take: ditch the post-secondary plans and learn by doing. You could spend a fraction of the cost of a single semester of post-secondary on some elearning stuff and bootstrap yourself into a real career much faster. This isn't necessarily for everyone, but it feels like it fits what I've read of your story so far. I work in devops/cloud infrastructure, and while the learning curve can be steep(it requires both coding *and* systems skills) I think it has the kind of job future-proofing that makes the time investment worthwhile. I bought some courses from A Cloud Guru during a Slashdot flash sale last year, and the company I work for uses them as its main training resource. I had a lot more experience already under my belt, but getting a certification combined with a personal project or two could be enough to get your foot in the door somewhere. I have some additional resources if this interests you at all - PM me and I'll gladly provide them.

Given all of that, you could still easily go back to college at some point after learning some of this stuff on your own, if you felt it was necessary(or wanted to switch careers entirely). It requires some self-direction(so the polar opposite of traditional learning) but can be a good alternative to the structured format of the classroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread