Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah I definitely left GX with the impression that Elfnein more or less ate Carol.

More like Carol fed herself to Elfnein really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Her name's 11/9 and she gave the girls suicide brooches. Pretty normal for a Symphogear support character.

Didn't they casually mention sharing intel with the Ahnenerbe at one point?

Oh yeah, the German supernatural investigation organisation who they tasked with figuring out the Meiji Government's secret supernatural defence plan.

E: I guess it wasn't that supernatural in reality though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lessail posted:

Did they ever expand on several of the cast members being in the same excavation where Hibiki got hurt? At least I think that's what was shown, but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

What excavation are we talking about? Hibiki got hurt at a concert. Did you mean Kanade?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lessail posted:

There was a scene about the incident where Hibiki got hurt from before the series that shows Maria and Fine there and suggests Fine caused the problem

edit: maybe I just completely made this up somehow?

Yeah it was a thing that Fine caused the incident at the concert where Hibiki got hurt, and then took the remnants of the Gungnir relic to give to FIS which eventually made it's way to Maria. Maria wasn't there herself I don't think.

Unless you're still talking about a seperate incident but I don't think anything about Hibiki's past before that concert has really been mentioned.

Edit: ^ Oh yeah I thought that might have been what you meant. I don't think Maria was there since she'd have been like 12, and i'm pretty sure Fine didn't cause it because wasn't that the thing that caused Fine to awaken in Ryoko?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In G Shirabe's ultimate attack was transforming into a giant robot so i'm pretty sure she is the coolest and strongest character.

Also, isn't Kirika portrayed as Chris's rival? Not that that gets anymore emphasis.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

The rivalries kind of fell apart after the first couple of episodes. They didn't really take each other on very much individually after F.I.S. escaped the abandoned hospital.

Shirabe and Hibiki was like a thing for the entire season.

Endorph posted:

Kiiinda? It's really confusing. Everyone's basically playing rival roulette. Hibiki and Shira are the only ones with any real payoff to that concept, anyway, but Chris basically doesn't have a rival and Tsubasa starts out with Maria and then switches to Kirika for like, the first episode of the assault on Frontier, and then Kirika and Shirabe solve their own subplot together while Hibiki steals Maria's Gungnir. And Chris and Tsubasa are fighting each other.

I know in G the only rivalry which is a consistent thing is Hibiki and Shirabe's (a shame because I liked the idea) but the opening and like episode 2 had Kirika as Chris's rival and then in GX when the F.I.S kids all give encouragement to the original 3 before they run off to Carol's castle it's Chris who Kirika talks to.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maria and Shirabe have to switch because Maria's the main character of the 2nd trio and needs to hang at the front with Hibiki.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There should've been a really cool Hibiki+Chris vs Shirabe+Kirika fight.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

well, the Tsubasa and Chris fight on the ship was pretty loving boss on its own.

For a second I thought you just meant the part where Chris shot Tsubasa in the back.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

A bit rude to criticize Aunt Chris when she left the kids with her to go off stalking Tsubasa.

It's not Maria's fault she got drafted into the Secret Service as her community service for being a terrorist.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She also mommed Elfnein. Maria is constantly a Mom.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 4, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

really intrigued by the kirika/hibiki combo attack. wonder if they're going to give those two some interactions.

I hope so, she's really the only character Hibiki hasn't really had a lot of development with. Looks like they had Tsubasa and Shirabe working together as well. It'd be neat if they put some focus on some of the less explored character dynamics this season.

chumbler posted:

Is Maria's apparent particle cannon new or did she have that in GX? I forget. Either way, her symphogear attacks are rising up the cool list, though Chris is still at the top.

Chris definitely has the best names and Maria has the coolest symphogear but Hibiki has a rocket punch so I dunno man. I dunno.

E: Also that might be my favourite opening so far. Though maybe G's still edges it out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Season 1 is still probably my favourite season (even if it also had my least favourite scenes and a couple kinda weak episodes) so i'd be down with a movie to fix a lot of the bigger issues. It's smaller main cast is probably better for a movie as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/SpiritusNoxSA/status/884544923420307456

:kamina:

Also, I really really really like the new ED. Seconding the hope for more Maria/Chris spotlight as we go forward. Also hope we take a bit of a break from the action sooner than later, these first two eps have been almost wall to wall punchyfists. drat good punchyfists, mind, but I like slice of life Symphogear too.

Hibiki was, is, and always will be the strongest and the coolest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Airgetlam is a fist full of knives and it's very cool

Wish it came with a cape though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that the first time Hibiki goes berserk it's not because she touched an evil sword or pushed to the brink of death or was messed with by Fine, but because she couldn't go see the stars with Miku.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I like how the villains seem p threatening despite losing all the time so far.

It helps that not a single one of the alchemists have gone into battle mode yet, and only whatever summoned minions they've made have actually been defeated. A real fight hasn't really gone down so far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

youre right, i should have put yumi on it

I'd probably still vote for Hibiki but it'd be a tough choice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I know, but it might be. They go for a different method of boosting the cast's power every season, after all, so simply swapping out the Gears for next-gen versions with new names seems like a plausible option. For instance, I suppose Hibiki might get Gram/Balmung/Nothung, the sword of the guy who snapped Gungnir in half. Not sure what Chris's upgrade might be, though - Ichaival was another of Odin's weapons, but doesn't have an obvious replacement like Ame-no-Habakiri and Gungnir. Norse mythology was relatively short on badass magical bows.

They didn't get a boost in G did they? Only in GX did they get a permanent upgrade and it was just a super mode. Not a permanent change to the gear.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

They had the insanely powerful combination attack where they all used their superb songs and used Hibiki's hosed up gear hybrid body to channel the backlash in a constructive manner, but they lost access to it as Hibiki's health problems worsened and then she was cured.

Well that's just a combined attack right? It's not like their gear got an upgrade to allow that they just combined 3 climax songs together using the power of holding hands. I don't know if i'd call that an upgrade since it was more the teamwork of the people involved rather than the improvement of the gears themselves.

E

Endorph posted:

Technically their gears also evolved between S1 and G, hence the changes in costume and the new attacks.

I always just assumed that was just like art improvement and the girls learning new moves, but I guess that's not the case. They get new attacks all the time though, just this last episode had an incredibly great one.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

The tri burst was a much bigger deal than the normal "let's whip a combo out of our butts" because superb songs were explicitly meant to be a no bueno inaccessible suicide move that have either killed or nearly killed everyone who ever tried to use one before the tri burst came into play. It also let Hibiki literally nullify other gear users because she could null their superb songs entirely.

I just meant like they didn't need to mess with or improve the gears (not like they could really since their main gear scientist was a traitor and also dead) to make them do that. It was something they always had the power to do (thanks to Hibiki being part-Gungir) so they just needed to learn to tap into that, which they did between seasons.

E: ^I always assumed new songs were just gotten from character development and the gear responds to that. Like Hibiki's the character who gets the most song changes and they usually come about after she goes through a period of growth. I guess this doesn't quite explain Tsubasa going back to her old song in G, but it's how I always thought of things.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 19, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hibiki is just extremely cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shirabe's ultimate attack is transforming into a giant robot so she's in no way the worst Symphogear.

Worst Symphogear is clearly Fine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

Fine didn't actually have a Symphogear. She was wearing the same Nehushtan Armor that Chris did before she had to purge it and pull out Ichiaval to not lose, just in a more complete form.

Oh, I thought the armour was a relic.

Worst Symphogear was Carol then. Her harp thing was like an actual symphogear right? She even had songs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

on the other hand its still better writing than that time maria could use ignite because elfnein was bad at volleyball

That was good actually because it was Maria being such a good mum that she had to listen to her own mum advice to grow. Also, the moral of it's ok if you suck and are weak as long as you accept that about yourself and try anyway was interesting.

Anyway I haven't seen the latest episode yet but Maria is cool and a nice mum and she was one of the few characters who kinda had consistent focus and felt like she had a more than 1 episode arc in GX, which I appreciated. Also, she's been good this season and she has maybe my favourite songs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lessail posted:

it could've been executed better imo

This is true but of the one ep arcs everyone got against the auto-scorers I thought it ranked pretty well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eela6 posted:

Season 5 plot: Yumi gets a Symphogear and goes mad with power

Yumi is just and strong and she would never abuse her strength like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I know i'm late with episode reactions but with watching G only a couple of months ago it's super weird this episode had stuff about how Nastassja helped the FIS kids grow strong since like her whole development in G was realising that the way she raised and treated the kids was hurting them and not actually helping in any way and wanting to change that since she did care about them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I didn't really like the revelation here being "Mom beat and abused us with a god damned riding crop, but was sad about it and it was totally for our own good. Love!"

Basically every bit of character development the FIS girls have gotten since their introduction has been them growing out of their trauma bit by bit and being allowed to live normal lives and make decisions for themselves instead of being disposable weapons, so this felt like some weird historical revisionism. Mom was functionally identical to Ver in that she had some (questionably) good intentions but did a lot of really heinous, bad poo poo in service of those intentions and while their heroic deaths served as some measure of redemption for their crimes, they were still Bad People. Seriously, Mom masterminded the opening of G where the plan was to threaten a giant stadium full of people with weaponized Noise, for gently caress's sake.

I mean Ver didn't really have good intentions. And Mom did figure out several episodes before she sacrificed herself that her methods and plans were kinda awful and actively detrimental to the wellbeing of people she cared about and sorta tried to walk that back. Like, the idea that Nastassja did legitimately love the FIS kids and they still consider her their Mom and care about her even though she was an exceptionally lovely parent is something i'm ok with. But the idea that the way they were raised was actually positive in any way is ridiculous, because not only was all that the reason why Maria goes through like 4 consecutive emotional breakdowns in G but Nastassja herself gets character development about realising everything she's done has done nothing but hurt them. It's real silly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

The whole Maria revelation thing was kinda weird

Like it could've been a few things: It could've been Maria struggling with a crisis of confidence over having an inability to have a normal life, and then realizing that her lovely upbringing has made her extra resilient, so it wasn't all for nothing (leaning really hard into the tomato thing). Alternately, it could be about "forgiving" Mom (even though she didn't seem mad in the first place) and that doing that would help her let her guard down re:getting close to other people again, which would tie into figuring out the formula for Linker.

But instead it's just kinda... her thinking a bit about her past, and then Dr. Ver saves the day. That last part is great, but that first part seems a bit aimless.

Also this week's episode has me noodling on what a "normal" human is capable of in Symphogear. Genjuro is clearly somewhere around what I'd call "Master Asia" level, and Ogawa is a literal ninja, but what about the alchemist trio? They use alchemy and Faust Robes to fight, but don't Prelati and Cagliostro have "perfect bodies"? Can they do all that superfly stuff too as a result???

I'm guessing the "perfect" in perfect body just means immortal. While Genjuro and Ogawa are superhuman due to Kung Fu flicks and ancient ninja heritage respectively.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wasn't Ver's goal to become a hero and "saving" the human race (and murdering most of them so everyone left would celebrate him and not try to overthrow him or something along those lines) was just his way of doing that?

And I feel like even if the episode hadn't shown Nastassja whipping Maria daily and had flashbacks of the harsh spartan training being useful it'd still be a dumb message that the way she was raised was actively helpful. Like, if it had kept all the stuff of Maria getting beat and the training being awful but the moral was something like "Maria endured a lot of hardships throughout life but thanks to friendship and her relationship with the other kids (and heck maybe even Mom if they really wanted to go that route) she managed to overcome all that and become the good and strong person she is today despite those troubles" rather than "Maria got beat by her Mom to make her stronger and it worked and was a good thing" it'd be pretty alright

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 20, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it's because they're cute girls now. This is really not that complicated.

I legitimately forgot about that part, so yeah that's probably it too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Very late for an episode reaction but man episode 7 was really good.

I've been waiting 3 seasons to get even a little bit of info about Hibiki and Miku's relationship before the series started and Miku's flashback was really nice. And despite being a relatively small scene it might be the best look we've gotten into Miku since season 1, which I appreciated. Miku and Hibiki's relationship is still one of the best things in the show.

Also, I like how Saint Germain basically reiterated Shirabe's argument to Hibiki from G except this time Hibiki didn't buy it at all and basically ended up winning the war of words. AXZ is building on some stuff from previous seasons in cool ways and it's pretty neat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kirika isn't really that Xtreme.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

iospace posted:

Part one: yeah, it was a very, "uhh... what the hell?" sort of thing when I heard of it, but it's one of those "the execution is actually pretty good" shows.

If there are people out there who think Magical Girls but with the Power of Rock doesn't sound like an extremely good and fun show then I don't know what to say. It's just a really good concept.

Endorph posted:

also apparently the show is doing super well in amazon preorders and such - actually, it's doing the best of any show this season, beating out both fate/apocrypha and owarimonogatari. of course, fate/apocrypha is probably driving revenue for fate/grand order, far more than axz is for xdu, but still. Besides, Symph has character CDs.

Which leads me to think that the reason it didn't get picked up is because they wanted a lot of money for it, saw it as a fairly big property, which it just kind of isn't in the west.

I'm glad it's doing well. I don't really know much about amazon preorder numbers or anything but isn't it pretty crazy to be selling more than Fate? Though now that I think about it Fate might get its sales through other ways instead. Also it should be a big property in the West, I only got into it recently myself but the same goes for most anime honestly, i'm surprised it doesn't have a bigger fanbase from when the previous seasons were airing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i realize i cant stop the meme for a variety of reasons but this isnt about trump or whatever, symph season 1 had similar 'the americans in this universe are bastards' stuff, world politics being messed up has always been a lowkey part of symph's worldbuilding.

G had it as well and i'm pretty sure the only reason GX didn't was because it didn't do much with the whole songs connecting people from different countries thing.

Anyway although for something with as much potential as Hibiki becoming God was dealt with rather straightforwardly I will like any scene which involves Miku doing a thing because Miku is great and should be around more. I'm also glad the alchemists came back. Even if it was to disperse into light after saving the world. Those guys were cool and held the season together imo, i'm glad they all came together for one last big scene rather than 2 of them dying anti-climatically before the end. Good song too.

I hope next episode is just 5 minutes of Hibiki punching Adam and then the rest is her birthday party and a Tsubasa and Maria concert.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hibiki is still basically the best and greatest character. Maybe in anything ever?!?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think GX's conclusion was perfectly fine and I quite liked it but I watched all of Symphogear 1 month before AXZ came out and if I saw it when it aired when the fate of the series was unknown I probably would have liked it to have been a more conclusive end to the series and to its characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

My initial hypothesis on where the information on Gungnir being a god slaying weapon came from was that it was from Cagliostro and Prelati, but that was before that was busted in the same episode. I think it would've worked better my way, rather than some faceless guy who happened to work under the two astronauts from the first 5 minutes of GX who happened to have the documents that happened to be on the plane from the second episode.

I liked it because it had been seasons since the idea of using songs to form connections with people from different countries had been a big part of Symphogear and that was a really good theme that I thought had been forgotten about and i'm glad it got some play. The fact that just some dudes from (I think?) America decided to help out and give useful info because the gang had not even really on purpose formed some bonds with them was cool and in a way a greater showcase of Hibiki's ability to join hands with anyone than her continued ability to become friends with all the villains not named Ver or Adam.

Prelati and Cagliostro should've still had more to do though, yeah. But alchemists are weird and have come back from the dead before so I am still just going to pretend that all the alchemists are ok and can return some day. Except Adam who will be punched into oblivion by Hibiki next ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Julias posted:

I actually liked the middle of GX better than its ending, though I thought the Maria vs. Galie at the beach episode was the best one besides the first ep (glares over at Endorph) so :shrug:

I liked the part where Maria gave Elfnein some good mum advice over volleyball and then Elfnein repeated it for her but it is always supremely lame when there is a fight where the bad guy wants to lose especially if it's the last appearance of the bad dude so they never get a real defeat. The autoscorers just couldn't carry the ongoing plot with Carol gone and it weakens the show until she shows back up.

• Locked thread