Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Trig Discipline posted:

That was a baby and we told you not to open it.

Look if you expect me not to open every present a nurse hands me every Christmas is going to blow so pick your battles here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Ignite Memories posted:

I just binged about 60 pages of this thread and now i feel completely insane

Hey, guess what!

http://www.asiaone.com/health/surgeons-discover-tiny-brain-skull-and-hair-japanese-teens-ovary

I found this on a Cracked article. It's about a Japanese girl whose ovarian teratoma included a tiny brain! Yay!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Panfilo posted:

Teratomas are cool. They're like a conjoined twin that got all cronenberged. If I had one I'd name him Kuato.

If the tumor had teeth, I would name it Vigilant Jim. Any other body parts will be Jodie.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Blinky! Blinky!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I got loads of jiggle. Any single ladies wanna see if we click? :grin:

How many extra teeth encased in tumours do you have

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Trig Discipline posted:

He ain’t chili
He’s my brotherrrrr

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Black people get put into reality shows in a starring context insofar as their presence doesn't threaten implicitly white structures, so New York or Flava Flav are presented humorously and more importantly, as contextually divorced from white spaces. For example, it's perfectly appropriate to bill Flava Flav on The Surreal Life and give him a show where people are basically dating him as a lark, but The Bachelor is suspiciously lacking in black male leads. America is still comfortable laughing at black people, but if you put them in contexts reserved for whites, people start sending strongly worded letters to the producers. Remember when the Hunger Games came out and people who had apparently never read the book said it was ruined when they saw Rue?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's not racist to want accurate depictions of the Norse gods, dumbass. I remember in the Poetic Edda where it mentioned Thor and Loki locked in mortal combat while the Hulk smashes a cybernetic alien worm to death, and nowhere did it mention anyone being black.

I love you

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Breetai posted:

I keep on lurking this tread for trainwrecky goodness and have come to the realization that I rarely contribute to a thread that has offered me such joy, so my new years resolution is to give back to the community.

I like to imagine the more banal side of these people's relationships (presuming they actually exist, which I feel like half of them don't). Like, picturing these two people having to fight over bank statements or what to watch on television.

"You can't use this credit card anymore for Amazon. It's like, you go out and buy whatever and then we don't have anything left for groceries."
"B-but, daddy, I wanted -"
"I'm loving serious, Joanne."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Trabant posted:

Literally!

:buddy:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

text me a vag pic posted:

not even a week into 2018 and im aalready so so tired

Extreme efficiency

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

This reminds me. I went to go see my friend last night after he was finished work, and one of the cooks finished around the same time. The cook wanted to play around on his phone for a bit but he came up to us at some point and showed us a very generic group photo of some people in fursuits (picture like, a group photo at a con) and he goes, "Haha, look! These people dress up like animals! This one guy is a skunk! That's neat." It was the most "oh, you sweet summer child" moment I've had in a while.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I don't get it

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Slugnoid posted:

slugnoids list of avatars to give people who wrong him;

I love many of these

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Randaconda posted:

She's collapsing from seeing a really in shape man.

I'm assuming she then went home and blogged about it being fat-shaming that he wouldn't bang her.

Hey, do you remember from the very first page when I said that regular people who are a little chubby aren't content? I let that rule slip a lot because I don't care super hard, but this was a dumbass comment.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

e: hahaha, wrong image at first

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Randaconda posted:

is that stdh.txt?

No. This dude fucks so hard that he punched out a girl's dad and he still hits gash like loving nobodies business.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Pastry of the Year posted:

"This dude fucks so hard that her dad had an entirely false but absolutely consistent memory of three days at Walt Disney World"

This is my favourite one

Randaconda posted:

I'm a straight man. :colbert:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Trig Discipline posted:

There's also a dude who shoved some mentos up under his foreskin and it looks like some sort of botfly infection on his cock. I can only see the thumbnail but that's already more than I needed to see.

I'm so glad I didn't get this far

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yeah, but oboes occasionally get blown.

sick

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I am beginning a change.org petition that bans people from adding "queering" to anything that has nothing to do with like, being an actual queer

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Samizdata posted:

ESPECIALLY when they can't use it in a complete sentence. How queering fat acceptance WHAT drat IT?

Hey, I've been to a liberal university and I've read Judith Butler. I understood that whole poster. I just wish whoever wrote it was dead.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I wonder what they intend “neoliberal” to mean?

Neoliberalism is basically a loose set of economic policies that in common parlance, basically accuses another person of employing liberal policies and laissez-faire economic policies simultaneously. Hillary Clinton was pretty unpopular in a lot of circles on that basis.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm old and don't understand what "queering" means. In grade school I think it meant you were calling someone gay, but now it's a verb?

Queering, in a sociological context, initially referred to reading texts, media and social institutions in a way that allowed for LGBT people to access those spaces without the permission of the dominant structures that created them. In English, that basically means that branches of academics would reread, say, Victorian texts and maybe give leeway to the idea that "extremely close friendships" shown in letters between two women who constantly talked about each other's pussies might have been a little bit gay, maybe. Interpreting (and celebrating) homoerotic subtexts in media could then be a fun activity.

Queering now refers often to:

chitoryu12 posted:

"Hi, I'm Scarfbeard Manbun and this is my girlfriend Septumpierce Undercut, and we're queering heterosexuality by making a joint Tinder account for three-ways."

So that it's essentially a tool for people who feel like they're outside of the fringes of society in some way to say, "I'm making [normal thing] weird! Ha-ha!"

And so, the translation of the poster is thus:

"In this lecture, a woman who inexplicably gained tenure, possibly from lack of applicants, discusses how if we can look at fat people slightly differently [removed extraneous comma for clarity] that might change the way we assume fat people are across the board, while she also rejects rich white people who registered as Democrats for the last twenty years but also think homeless people are kind of icky."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

grittyreboot posted:

201 pages isn't that bad. See you guys next AUG thread!

I'm giving serious consideration to making the next installation of this thread "hard mode" where content has to result from people's conscious decisions, so that we can avoid two page derails about whether or not fat people are okay.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

D:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I don't know, I'd say we made a bunch of content the past 2 pages

Yes, that's what's annoying

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I can never tell if these derails are legitimate attempts to have the thread shut down or not.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Then we're doing it right

I'm not sure if you're trying to be cute right right now, but if you guys sincerely would prefer to have the thread shut down, I can do that. I think it's a really passive-aggressive way to get your point across, but I'm not married to the idea of modding this thread anymore, so if that's the general consensus I'm happy to close it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I think you're getting bent out of shape over a little derail honestly, and threatening to take the ball and go home is a pretty lame response to it all.

E: I don't think anybody is trying to passive aggressively work some conspiracy to suggest you close a thread you clearly don't even want to mod anymore. People are making jokes on a comedy forum hth

You're absolutely right, actually, on several counts, but I guess the most pertinent one being that I don't particularly want to mod this thread anymore. Sorry, kids. It's been "fun".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Ratzap posted:

As someone who enjoys this thread between the pseudo-intellectual derails, could I suggest instead of closing it or putting up with them, just slapping the culprits? It's the same few people making GBS threads things up for page after page while they argue some boring tripe, give them a few days break and let the thread go on.

Or are you saying you're tired of having to clean their messes up in the first place?

What's going to happen is I am going to close it, and when I feel the energy to restart it, I will do so. It will be under even more strict, possibly arbitrary, rules. But right now, I need a break from the derail cycles, and since I am the only mod who'll touch it for the time being, that's how that's going to happen.

• Locked thread