Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why the heck did you drain all the color out of the art? It looks so boring now :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Welcome to the jam

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

It might be all the plastic cement fumes I'm breathing, but the new big bois have really well-detailed butts.

Looking forward to them THICC bois

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skellybones posted:

It's the first one. The rules are that you're a Chaos dude the gods like so much, that when you die they bring you back to go again.

I was hoping there was a skeleton career advancement I could look forward to after being drafted into the skeleton war

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

theironjef posted:

And they're pretty cool looking!

But yeah, what's my 8th edition viability looking like?
I think I saw your minis a while back and I've always been a big fan. Even if you can't use them in 40k, there are other games in which you could use them. Not so much the vehicles, since the games tend to be skirmish. Which is a shame, since I love those centerpieces. They're the kind of things I'd probably paint on my Tau if I ever get around to painting the robots again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The lady who was drawing the fab marines is now drawing angry marines. Significantly less chill

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You could say I'm a fan of their 8inchesth edition

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looking for some Reasonable Marine paint jobs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I bet the sigmarines would all greatly improve if you did the same thing. Still can't get enough of the grinning faces.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

i want to watch them fucc

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TTerrible posted:

:allears:

The death thread became self parody. The chill thread is much better.

The old death thread WAS the chill thread but this is fine. Death thread prediction: Moola still won't finish his skull boy by December 2018.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Always talk poo poo about corporate overlords, but in a chill way

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LordAbaddon posted:

So I'm curious about 8th edition and one question hangs over it like the sword of damocles.

Has the playtime been shortened? I remember 5-6 hour horror shows of nothing happening that previously constituted a game of 40k and I don't want to be involved in that poo poo ever again. Can we now bang out a game of 40k in 2-4 hours like a reasonable human being with a life would want to or is it still an all day or day and a half affair

"You don't have to play with higher points" is what you'll hear but the apocalypse stuff is now standard in the game. Everyone has giant robots and giant tanks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

e: gently caress, wrong thread

You must post a :krad: skellington for your transgression.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm the chin plate

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

*sigh* FINE

this one is for moola

(Un)life goals

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

In using my $35 to buy 40 napoleonic dudes made by the perry brothers (who did the green knight, mind you) and painting them in :krad: '80s colors. 1880s of course

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

new leaked vehicle

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's too heavy to hover, so it kinda just skids along the ground being pulled by tiny wolves.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The firetruck meme, but unrelated to the riddles

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dang, I kinda made the riddle too easy by giving that clue about it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Skeleton King posted:

I've been wondering if I should sell my Black Templars. I really only have them anymore because I painted them with my dad. I haven't played a game of 40k since 4th edition.

On the same note, does anyone know a relatively cheap tabletop game that doesn't take too much effort to get into? My dad and I have been wanting to get back into the hobby, but don't want to have to put as much time into collecting, assembling and painting as we did with 40k. I mean, assembly and stuff is cool, but I don't want as much hassle.

I've enjoyed the light skirmish games I've tried. Look up Osprey games like Scrappers or mantic's Deadzone. Imperial Assault is more expensive but everything is at least assembled. If you have a large army of black templars, you could try any number of easy to learn napoleonics rules too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

🅱️yo🅱️ crew

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Do you mean the pet chat channel? I forget it's on most of the time

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

hard counter posted:

i thought this was the thread for posting twinky primarchs

They really are svelte under all that bulky armor, aren't they? :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

hard counter posted:

but let's not forget: all primarchs are beautiful people, even the beefcakes

Especially the beefcakes

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Sacrifice of self: an analysis of the process and psychological modification of a human to an Adeptus Astartes.

"They are more than human, they are steel and doom", one short line perfectly defines the Adeptus Astartes. It may seem like common sense but when you consider what a space marine actually is, you must start to consider what humanity has truly wrought.

We must remember two things, one an Astartes is a biological weapon two it is a weapon that possesses a soul. The initial idea for modified humans appears early in the galaxies history as cultures that were separated by warp storms or extreme distance manufactured their own version of defenders. Things that would be able to tackle the horrors of the Galaxy. Yet only with the coming of the Emperor and the primarch project do we see this process streamlined to produce hundreds of thousands of genetically modified trans-humans.

I want us to consider the following, the Emperor always knew he needed an advantage over the other galactic civilizations. His power was near infinite but even he couldn't persecute his conquest alone. His first attempt with the thunder warriors was.......problematic. Humans who were heavily modified to be little better than berserk monsters. knowing these forces were unreliable and in many ways unpredictable he focused on the next generation of enhanced bio weapons. The thing he was right about is that humanity always responds better to something that is similar in appearance. Yes the Thunder warriors were brutal beyond measure but they were still essentially human, and needed a very specific control mechanism. The Adeptus Astartes are more akin to an assembly line soldier than a gene-modified barbarian, the specific organs that are introduced into their system rapidly change the baseline human into a pure weapon.

Then there is also the matter of the legion/chapter life that the new instrument of war is introduced to. They are removed from basic human society and become one with a body that is genetically and culturally based on a very specific source. The psychological conditioning that takes place is rather fascinating, as many of the Adeptus Astartes view their Primarchs as being "fathers", that is an amazing cultural construct. We have to remember that in most cases an Aspirant is taken at a very young age, their potential identity is supplanted by what the Legion/chapter requires them to be. The introduction of the concept of a Primarch would be staggering a mind that is still in the process of forming, to explain to them that these beings are responsible for the transformation into a near perfect warrior would naturally create a psychological conditioning where said individual would see this being as his father, because they are literally reborn through their genetics.

The problem with this is that you are fundamentally creating a creature that is not human in the strictest sense. We have many examples were Astartes are unable to understand basic human etiquette or humor, even more examples where standard conversation is as alien to them as a xenos tongue. In the process of protecting humanity, the Emperor manufactured something that doesn't fully grasp humanity. Yes they are our defenders of that there is no doubt, but did anyone ever bother to wonder why Chaos always manages to seep in and claim more and more of these warriors? The answer is simple, the age when an aspirant is selected is a time when morality, ethics and even culture are continually introduced to them. Once you deprive an human being of that and link them to a strict pseudo-culture they will always be unsure of what they truly are. Naturally they will know no fear, but they will also fail to grasp a myriad of balancing human emotions.

The actual biological modification process is truly miraculous, just think of the number of grafts and organs introduced into a still developing system. All these things are designed to make a nearly unstoppable killing machine, be it a secondary heart, the ability to spit acid, even the ability to obtain the memories of the dead from consuming their tissue. In many ways this becomes the most dangerous aspect of the Adeptus Astartes conditioning, not because of the possibility of rejection, although that happens often enough, no it;s the temporal difference this creates between humans and trans-humans. Astartes are functionally immortal, that means they can and in some cases do live for thousands of years. This again creates a very dangerous difference between a human being and a space marine, once they undergo the augmentations they view baseline humans as "mortals", that word in itself is very dangerous because the basic meaning behind it is that an Astartes is beyond us, more than mortal. While accurate in purely a biological perspective it also grants the idea that baseline human lives rarely matter. This of course varies from chapter to chapter, with extremes going in both directions such as the Vlka Fenryka and the Salamanders to the Iron hands and the Marines Malevolent.

We must also consider how baseline humans view Astartes, they are literally seen as the angels of the Emperor, across the Imperium viewed as lords and demi-gods, does it really surprise anyone why this occurs? the answer harkens back to the time of the great crusade and the Horus heresy. We have heard the term transhuman dread thrown around in various heresy novels. The concept that the human mind was not ready to accept such creatures that seeing them move or act instantly halted our fight or flight responses leaving humans little better than target practice. This can also relate to another idea "Transhuman Awe" by which I mean that humans naturally become completely enraptured by the idea that this giant is here to protect them. From our own cultures we have encountered stories where people feel a sense of awe when dealing with someone who has great gifts or a physical presence that cannot be matched, now amplify that to 7.5 or 8 feet and add on enough armor and weapons to depopulate entire cities in minutes.

The question then becomes why are such thing required. If humanity was truly worthy of inheriting the stars, why did it need to build such warriors. there are several trains of thought that come to mind with this. One is that unmodified humans are simply not truly capable of standing up to what the universe has in store. The other argument is that because we have advanced to a point where we can manufacture such creatures we now have the right to unleash them. I'm sure we can all see the problem with that particular argument, however in terms of propaganda it is a near perfect one to make. My view is more akin to the former, the galaxy is vast and in truth the threats that constantly emerge can and do annihilate baseline forces. The Adeptus Astartes basic lack of humanity allows them to defend us because most of the weaknesses have been bred out of them. This does not make them perfect it merely makes them extremely viable and efficient killers.

I am certain the Emperor knew there were threats that humans would not be able to comprehend, be it the warp or extra-galactic invaders, we needed the Astartes because of an inherent weakness in our species. We needed monsters to save us from worse monsters. The horror of the situation is humanity put their faith in these bio-weapons never fully realizing that the lack of the basic characteristics that make us human would be the downfall of many.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

seriously why would you introduce SA into any aspect of your real life

If I didn't, I wouldn't have friends who know about and adore the scrunts. (BTW they love the scrunt.jpg collection)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't normally complain about GW practices. I understand they do product research and thought provoking decisions behind the scenes. If they didn't make the hard decisions then they wouldn't be in business today. Despite our opinions.

But dang GW. You go out of your way to put GW back into Annapolis Md and not only do you decide to put it ON THE MOST EXPENSIVE STREET IN DOWNTON you make it so the only way you can get to your location is either pay-parking (which is 3 blocks away) or public transportation only for your new store. You just made it inaccessible to a portion of your clientele.

I'm really trying to fathom why this is a good idea.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DiHK posted:

Lol of you think people who want scrunt marines are buying those for their game system.

I got all the scrunt marines I need from the 8e starter set. The assault dudes are literally scrunts and was pointed out to me by my friend. :getin:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mango sentinel posted:

I bet it's also a 5 foot wide hallway with a single hilariously positioned 4x4 table for anyone wanting to actually play at that location.

I went to my local GW and that's exactly what it was. They had enough painting space for 2 people.

beep beep bloated dreadnought

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Who What Now posted:

Awww, it's pregnant!

Mommy moola where do baby bigmars come from?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Mantic guys here play historical KOW alongside the other historical gamers on historical minis night. I'm turning into a grognard

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JBP posted:

Eldar have loads of female models because nerds want to gently caress elves.

I mean yeah, Legolas

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not the whole plan. The whole plan is to start introducing a set of rules that aren't 100% arse (8th edition). Release codexes for all the armies at once in a "get by" format then rapidly follow up with full codexes for every army. Release "cheap" get started sets of monopose models. And perhaps most interestingly, take part in this exciting new thing called social media, and listen to what the community has to say.

Hm, this sounds exactly like the plan from way back in 3rd edition, but I wasn't around for that. Didn't they have the internet campaign (and 2+ people per store) back then?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

NTRabbit posted:

For some people the FLGS or a local club are the only places a game can be had, which is why a game that's just barely well written enough to be houseruled between friends over beer in a basement into some semblance of effectiveness isn't close to being actually well written.

I play with friends even though we have tons of local FLGS and GW stores around if we wanted to play with strangers. And even then we've split the 40k starter (discounted, only $70 total after we sold the rulebook) to use for other games because :lol: at putting up with looking up bullshit rules getting in the way of our gaming.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Dreads can't run they're feet are too stumpy dumbass

I hated the way dawn of war had them move. They should've had tiny jumps forward as their means of locomotion.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This would've also been acceptable. On that note, my LGS had a big discount for rune wars stuff so I got this nice surfing necromancer:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They were, but imagine how adorable it would've been if they did tiny bunny hops instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

a GW exec: *looks at warmachine's aesthetic* *looks up T H I C C memes*

*nods*

• Locked thread