Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If I can think of a dessert, I'll take a stab. I already have ideas for the first 2 courses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

mormonpartyboat posted:

nothing is mandatory friendo, if you can't think of something i'd def rather u share what u have than just quit because ~the rules~

gently caress the police

Oh god, I managed to think of dessert, but I have no clue if I can pull it off

Oh god, it doesn't even turn up any google results, I've gotta try this

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm not sure if I'm gonna have the time for the whole meal, but someone needs to try to make Ranch Meringues

Probably would want to use Ranch powder, since I think the fat of ranch dressing might break the foam

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Al! posted:

looks like some stiff compo but my meal is coming together in my head bit by bit

Same, I'm assembling my shopping list

Hopefully I can cook everything tomorrow

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Just got back from the store

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 12, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Courses 0 and 1 finished:

Firstly, no meal is complete without bread. So I made cornbread, using ground Doritos in place of some the corn meal and ranch in place of milk. Also added ranch powder to the whole mix. I should have added some chopped jalapenos, but forgot to buy them.

They were good, but definitely needed the kick from jalapenos. Tasted very strongly of ranch, not much Doritos flavor.

But a bread course is hardly an appetizer, so I paired it a salad course. But for a ranch battle, only one salad seemed appropriate: A Cobb Salad
From left to right is:
Doritos avocado ranch dressing
Chopped boiled egg
Sliced avocado
Cherry tomatoes
Diced chicken breast (marinated in ranch and lemon juice prior to cooking)
Diced onion
Chopped bacon
Bleu cheese

The salad is a mix of romaine and baby spinach.

Next portion of the entry should be posted in a while, still gotta cook everything else. The Entree should be easy assuming my dough turns out well, but dessert is gonna be an adventure.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 12, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
That looks pretty amazing

Dinner is prepped and I'm just waiting for my oven to finish heating

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Al! posted:

my concept is that i want to produce three courses that accruately communicate my feelings about ranch to the diner. i will introduce the theme of each dish as it is presented to you.

the theme of first course is pain. i have plated a trio of ranch-dusted penny nails, a ranch-dipped chile japones and as a drink pairing, a shot glass - rimmed with crushed cool ranch doritos - of seagrams gin, with a single drop of blood.

So, did you sous-vide the nails or just roast them outright?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Main dish

So, when I saw this challenge, I had originally planned to do a Doritos crusted chicken fillet, like a super hosed up schnitzel. However, after seeing another friend chicken, I decided to change my plans.

So thinking on what kind of ranch dishes I would actually enjoy eating, I settled on pizza. I added ground Doritos to the dough since I like the crunch of corn meal in my pizza dough. Then I decided to borrow steal toppings from a local brewpub, ranch sauce topped with chicken, bacon, and brocolini. Plus some cheddar with the mozzarella, since it pairs well with the ranch.

I also seared and roasted some mushrooms and onions in a ranch butter to serve alongside the pizza. I had planned to also make fried pickles, but I got lazy :effort:

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 12, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
And now the dessert

So I tried to think of what would be a good flavor carrier for this that would work as a sweet dessert course. I had considered cheating and doing a cheese course, but I was eventually inspired: I would make Ranch Meringue Cookies. After searching online and finding any proof that anyone had ever tried this before, I knew my course was set.

So, I had never made meringue before, but I knew some of the basics, don't let any fat get in there and don't let the yolk get in there.

So, they turned out pretty good. The egg foam didn't fall apart despite not having cream of tartar. I probably overcooked them, as the inside wasn't moist. But still, the biggest problem was the ranch flavor. Those spices do not belong in something like this. They're not inedible, but of everything they were by far the most negatively effected by the addition of ranch.

Next time, I'll just do lemon/cinnamon/vanilla.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Jesus Christ, that is one of the shitposts I have seen in years.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Ok, so recipe time:
Ranch corn bread
1 cup yellow polenta
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 cup ground doritos
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup Ranch dressing
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3-4 jalapenos peppers, diced (omitted, I added a generous teaspoon of cayenne pepper instead)
Ranch seasoning to taste
Grated Cheddar cheese

Mix dry and wet ingredient together separately, then combine. Pour into greased muffin tins, and sprinkle with chedder. 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until you get too afraid of the cheese burning.

If you want to make these, I would 100% sub the ranch back for milk. But really I would make Duscats Cornbread, it looked way better

Cobb Salad
Already explained

Pizza dough
I will say, Serious Eats knows there poo poo on pizza dough, this was adapted from their new york style crust.
2 cups bread flour
1/2 finely ground doritos (For a non IC, use corn meal)
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Ranch seasoning packet
1 packet yeast

Combine yeast, warm water and sugar in a cup, set aside for a few minutes, while you combine the dry ingredients. Once the yeast is foaming, combine everything in a stand mixer with a dough hook (or a food processor, but mine broke recently and is now a huge pain in the rear end). Mix until it forms a ball of dough. Put into a lightly floured bowl, and let sit all day covered. About halfway through, punch down your dough. When you're ready to make your pizza, cover your work area in flour and knead your dough slitghly, working to expand its size. One you've got it into a disk, start knuckle walking it the air so it stretches out, being careful to not let it tear.

This recipe could have probably made 2 smaller pizzas, but I decided to just cook it as one large pizza.

Then cover in ranch, a little cheese, chicken bacon, brocolini (discarding buds that have already started to flower), and more cheese. Put into an oven on the highest temp it will reach for 12-15 minutes.

Ranch butter mushrooms and onions
Slice a bunch of mushrooms, brown the, in a pan on high heat with your ranch butter (dont add salt) until the mushrooms really start to brown. Once they have a good color, then add salt to extract the water. Move to a baking dish and repeat for the onions. Put into a 450 oven for 15-20 minutes.

Ranch Meringue Cookies:
3 egg whites
3/4 cup super fine or baking sugar (but not powdered sugar)
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon ranch seasoning (from scratch, since I didn't trust commercial stabilizers in the spice packet to not gently caress up the foam)
Ok, I touched on this earlier, but the key to making a meringue is not let any fat near your egg whites. So, I uses to a two bowl approach for separated the eggs, do your work in one bowl, and when you're sure there is no yolk mixed with the white, add the white the a second bowl. So, even though I hosed up in the middle of doing this and the yolk broke into the white, I only lost one eggs worth of effort, but the rest stayed safe from the evil lipids that will destroy your foam.

Put egg whites into stand mixer, and beat until you achieve soft peaks. Then slowly begin adding the sugar/ranch mixture until it has been fully incorporated. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and pipe/spoon your meringue onto it. Bake at 225 for 1.5 hours. Let cool completely. Regret adding ranch to it and wish you had just lied and said they had ranch in them.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

mormonpartyboat posted:

yeah im gonna boil it down to a pudding consistency, throw in some sweet rice flour, and then deep fry it

:stonklol:

• Locked thread