Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It looks like the game bundles that come with XBone Ses now are all playable on Windows as well?

I might actually be in the market for an Xbone S given that
  • I want an Xbone controller for PC to replace my beat up old wired 360 controller
  • I want to play the bundled games (on PC)
  • I've got some BC 360 games I still play once in a while
  • I want to play a 4K blu-ray

Is there some cheaper way to do this stuff than just getting an Xbone? Ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

univbee posted:

If the bundled games are digital (I think with Xbox they always are?) and "Play Anywhere", then yes they'll be playable on PC. That said I'm not sure there are any current bundles that offer Play Anywhere games, maybe a Forza or Gears bundle?

For the BC 360 games (if you've confirmed their PC) and 4K Blu-ray playback, yeah the Xbox One S is the cheapest 4K UHD Player (unless Sony announces something tonight but I seriously doubt that), but bear in mind 4K UHD discs are generally stupidly expensive for what you're getting and largely pointless unless you have a proper 4K HDR10 set. Oh, that reminds me, Dolby Vision is starting to show up and no Xbox including the Xbox One X is capable of it, so you'd need a dedicated 4K player for that.

I haven't really been watching price, but I've got a proper HDR10/Dolby Vision TV. It looks like Forza, Gears, and Halo Wars 2 are all "Play Anywhere", all of which I'd like to play because I have bad taste in games.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

barren_sky posted:

That's the one! And once I opened it up it did say Xbox One S on the actual console. I thought the UHD drive was a real selling point for this system. I'm surprised it isn't written in huge letters on the box!

It also looks like the long-term HDR format winner (Dolby Vision) isn't supported by the Xbone S.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

fishmech posted:

If Dolby Vision is only actually supported on two lovely kid's movies, I don't see how it's bad to not have it supported right now.

And all of the major streaming services, and most of the good displays with HDR.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

The difference in wired and wireless is like night and day. It's not even possible to play, for example, Geometry Wars in wireless mode, the aim just lags so much. It might not be noticeable if you have only used a wireless controller, but plug one in and compare them together and it will be immediately obvious.

You might potentially have some really bad local wireless interference or something. Wired controllers add less lag than most TVs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Awesome, I'm probably going to download this. I didn't know this existed, loved original Hydro Thunder, and have a huge soft spot for niche racers. I've fired up Wipeout HD in the last month.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

EA Access nailed the pricing too, $30/year is enough to justify casual interest in the games they have up.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Barudak posted:

Microsoft launched a service for this already, although obviously ubi and other massive publishers arent part of it its still a real good value.

The Xbox Game Pass looks like it has a completely garbage selection, EA's has more stuff that's interesting to me at 1/4 the cost. What am I missing?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

univbee posted:

At least if you're not a professional cj of some description, and if your job involves things other than working on a computer, this becomes easier to deal with, and it's of course possible to consolize a PC so you can play Xbox One games in actual true native 4K60+ (if you can stomach the initial headaches of getting it all working right).

Consolized PCs still do Dumb Windows 10 poo poo unless you're clinging onto Windows 8.1 or something. I really get people who just want something that turns on and plays games.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I just finished Halo: Reach, and wow that was just a plain old great shooter. I've been slowly working my way through a small backlog of PS3 and 360 games worth playing still, because I never had either console when they were current. Are there any other 360 or Xbone shooters or exclusives in general as good as Reach, or is it time for me to play God of War 3 for the first time now?

The only other Halo games I've played are 1 and 4, and after playing Reach I have no idea why I played 4 first, or at all. Are 2,3, ODST or 5 worth playing? I've also played Gears 3 within the last year, and enjoyed it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Still better than Halo 3 and Reach. :getin:

I've played the last couple years good singleplayer PC shooters (DOOM, Far Cry 4, Wolf: New Order) and thought that Reach was about as good as a singleplayer shooter can get. Huge weapon variety, interesting enemies and a ton of them in an area at a time, and great transitions between big outdoor environments and indoor ones that make you fight differently.

Basically,

Agoat posted:

If you don't think Xbox and Halo are cool you are a God drat nerd

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 17, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I've got my fingers crossed for Jet Set Radio Future.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Zachack posted:

This isn't really a hot take, though, the game is an excuse to plug the controller in like a giant, hideously overpriced Playmobil play set. The game itself was kinda ok for its time, not great, and bad now. And the online version was completely broken.

I played it about 2 years ago and thought it was a lot of fun. 10-man local LAN matches were pretty drat interesting.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Beastie posted:

Trackmania Turbo is fun for a week or so! I never regretted the money I spent on it. It even has a fun co-op mode where you both steer the car and it averages the inputs.

This owns.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

What you guys sell a launch 500gb Xbone for with the Kinect(lol) and a controller for? In Canadian dollars.

I'd say about $120. Kinects are pretty value-less, and new bone Ses are going to be under $200 in 3 weeks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

So is it worth upgrading to an X1X if you only have a 1080p tv?

In a year there's going to be more games that are enhanced to actually use it, and there will also be a norm set if games will bother to run better at 1080p, or just patch in 4K mode + larger textures. At launch, it's questionable overall and 4K output seems to be the main appeal.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Xbone Ses being so cheap is unfortunately the biggest argument against the X. You could buy yourself AND your little nephew an Xbone S and still have $100 left over for the price of an X.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Are all you guys just hanging big external drives off of your Xbones? Does speed matter? Can I get away with a 5TB shingled drive that I bought for $100 a couple years ago?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Congrats for avoiding the poo poo until now I guess, but it's coming to every comcast market eventually

The trick here is to budget your internet usage so that when you blow past the limit, you really blow past the limit and do 5TB on those high-traffic months.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

comper posted:

Thanks, was hoping the frame rate caps would be taken away natively but I understand they want to leave that up to the developer. How does everyone like their X so far? I want one to compliment my C6 but idk if I can really justify it over the One S I already have.

My current understanding is that 60FPS is still hard to hit with the XboneX because the CPUs are still slow, but you've got a ton of GPU power to play with to head for 4K resolution.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Serious question in this whole mess: Can you play D1 content solo at this point, and enjoy it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ethanol posted:

Check your router or isp

Hmm, let me just check my ISP. Wait, my only other option is copper DSL and my current provider has such lovely peering with youtube that I can't stream higher than 360p during peak evening hours? Guess I could tether to my phone if I wanted better internet service.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Auron posted:

Quantum break worth $20?

It's a mediocre 3rd person shooter attached to paper thin choose your own adventure storytelling and the kind of low budget TV show that Syfy airs after midnight.

If that appeals to you, it's not like it's super short or unplayably buggy or anything. It'd have reviewed really well if it came out in 2006.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ethanol posted:

So it’s like uncharted?

Actually, Uncharted 1 is a decent comparison for Quantum Break. That game has aged incredibly poorly. I think Uncharted 2 and 3 are actually pretty great games, even if 3 is just a bunch of random setpieces stitched together. Uncharted 2 I'll defend as one of the best 3rd person action games in history.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Man, it's a shame that Xbox game pass gets such shovelware titles. As far as "games as a service" the $30/year EA access seems vastly superior to the poo poo Microsoft themselves are slinging: https://news.xbox.com/2017/11/21/xbox-game-pass-december-2017-update/

quote:

If you’re a sports fan, fun times await this month with Casey Powell Lacrosse 16.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

You bought three separate revisions of the Xbox One.

Why?

Trade values are weirdly high on this generation of consoles. Gamestop was giving $225 trade credit for fat launch ps4s a month ago, and then is selling new slims for $199 with a $50 gift card now, it's some weird poo poo.

I was at gamestop for some dumb reason 2 weeks ago, and saw a mom buying a fat launch xbone for a kid for $200 used. :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Uhhh. There is no way that is right, unless it involves some sort of major deal stacking. I followed there trade in values for a while a few months ago because I had an extra launch PS4 sitting around, and it dropped from $100 down to $80 in that time. There is no way it randomly almost tripled in that time frame.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10520512-gamestop-225-trade-in-credit-for-playstation-4-500gb-powerup-rewards-pro-only-valid-8-28-9-17

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Zachack posted:

Halo 5 is both good (multi) and bad (story, or at least mediocre) depending on what you want, just buy Titanfall 2 instead.

If you like battlefield then there will probably be a good deal on the bf1/tf2 combo in a couple weeks.

Is there any reason to buy those rather than just paying the $30 for a year of EA Access and playing those 2 + a ton of other stuff?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Auron posted:

It doesn't support DV but DV is overrated and not the leading format anyways

My impression as a casual user is that my TV does both Dolby Vision and HDR10 so it doesn't matter at all, but I've never encountered HDR10 content in the wild? Netflix streams all of its stuff in Dolby Vision, and I assumed Netflix was one of the larger video sources in the US.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Is the Asscreed movie better or worse than Jake Gyllenhaal Prince of Persia?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm legitimately hoping for JSRF to come to backwards compatibility.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I had my eneloops swell to the point where they no longer fit in a 360 controller, but the bonetroller seems to have room for fat batts.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BrownieVK posted:

That's just my receiver, the tv does 4K with the exception of HDR. I've never seen HDR in person so I don't know if I'm missing anything mind-blowing with not having it.

HDR is a bigger deal than 4K, assuming that your TV has a wide dynamic range.

I'm in the same "My receiver is older than my TV or my Xbox and only switches 24Hz 4K" place, so I've got a stupid setup with Xbox straight to TV and then an optical cable to the receiver.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Cpu is too weak. Consoles this gen are tilted heavy towards gpu so thats what you get.

This is fine, all 3 major consoles do their job adequately. If you want high framerates and crippling aspergers there's a platform for that too.

I am curious if the next generation of consoles will have the CPU, GPU memory bandwidth, and trick anti-aliasing to go for 60+ fps.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I literally forgot about that ending and just remember blowing up the Spiderdemon.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Is blinx any good or is it like voodoo vince tier who cares type game

Blinx is an OK 3rd person platformer, it's just that 3rd person platformers from that era all have lovely controls and are un-fun.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

GUI posted:

I played Black last year and it's still hella fun but the kind of game that's so repetitive that you'll probably get bored after 3 levels. drat fine shootbang animations though. I appreciate the lack of gameplay interruptions (scripted events, cutscenes) during levels, they don't make FPS' like that anymore.

It's at the very least worth playing for how incredibly disconnected the story/dialogue are from the gameplay to the point where the whole game unintentionally feels like a fever dream.

You sold it well, I'm installing Black to play it for 2 hours then uninstall it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Oh man you guys were right about Black. What a piece of poo poo. I haven't seen such an inconsistent game in a while. Weapons feel fine, the environment feels pretty destructible but looks like poo poo.

This turd came out after F.E.A.R.? Wow.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 22, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The EA pass has more good games than game pass. Especially as someone who never played a modern battlefield but likes shooter campaigns, each one is a pretty decent 5-8 hour experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BrownieVK posted:

Recore definitive edition is on gamepass with xbonx enhancements and it's way better than the initial reviews let on. It's not an easy game and some of the jumping puzzles are bullshit but i think this might be an overlooked gem.
Or it's trash and I like trash?

This is the Xbox thread, it's OK to like trash.