Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Welp. Back into the Xbox fold I go. I was looking at the One S recently and with that $1 gamepass deal I decided to take the dive again.

I have a 4K TV but I feel like it might be a little foolish to go full on One X with the Scarlett coming up next year. Would it be wiser to just go One S?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Real hurthling! posted:

Just wait til scarlet then why spend 200+ a year early?

Cuz I just did the three years of Gold + Gamepass deal and I'd like to start playing through games I've missed over the past few years.

The all digital one comes up on Rakuten for about $170 from time to time. I may just wait for that again.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

One S is garbage tier. You can get an X for $300 pretty easily and get a console that's about 6x as powerful. One S is weaker than a base PS4.

k i'll do that

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Alright finally got in the One X game. Ordered the Division 2 bundle from Rakuten because I had enough credit to cover it and it comes with $80 cash back. So about $310 total.

Now to get it and never play it because I have two kids and whoops this was a bad impulse buy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I said come in! posted:

Get Ultimate Game Pass if you play PC games as well.

Already got the 3 years for $1 deal! That's actually what spurred me to get back into gaming. Had a One for a while, then won the Taco Bell One X and sold it for $700 (the OG one, not the second competition), then got a PS4 and just wasn't into it. Then the let my Live lapse after like a decade as a Gold member. Then the Ultimate Game Pass deal came up and I found codes for $50 so I stacked 3 years and converted for the $1 deal.

Only regret is I found a MassGenie deal for $50/year PLUS SunsetOverdrive and TitanFall 2 codes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
*Of course* the $389 Division 2 bundle I got ("Brand New" from Rakuten) is actually most likely used. Looks like original seals are broken and new seals put over it. Gonna open it and check it out, but is there like a serial number cross check to see if it's actually been used at all?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DrNutt posted:

You paid $389 for The Division 2!? :eyepop:

HA, Xbox One X Division 2 bundle.

Still early morning for me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the recommended rechargeable battery pack/stand? I don't really care about a stand and these look good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MW9Y588/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ACNPD5Z1B53QL&psc=1

Good reviews on battery life, etc. However I'd like something shipped/sold by Amazon to use my $15 credit.

edit: OR do I just get the Eneloop Pros since Amazon hilariously is offering a Subscribe & Save discount (even though they aren't regular batteries) for the 4 pack of AAs plus charger. With my Twitch credit it brings the price to under $1.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-K-...=gateway&sr=8-2

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 1, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My new Xbox One X was working great for a week then it froze during a Crackdown session and had to be rebooted.

Ever since then, when I wake it from sleeping, it takes about 2 or 3 full minutes for the Dash to completely load and the controller disconnects every few seconds. New batteries and all. It only works when wired.

I know the bone has wireless controller problems, but is it just a controller replacement or am I likely to have to replace the whole console? I'm guessing interference but it's on a different side of the house than the router and I've unplugged all nearby wifi devices (Hue bulbs and roku) and it still does the same.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

El_Elegante posted:

You’re almost certainly still in the warranty period, at least.

Oh no for sure, I have a year warranty. I'm just trying to figure out, for my own interest, if this is usually a faulty controller or maybe a faulty radio in the console itself?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mem posted:

Got to be the console if the dash is that sluggish. Have you tried powering off the console by holding down the power button for several seconds?

Yep and it's fine for the most part. Once it loads fully it's totally snappy and good and if I'm not waking from a paused game it's fine. It's only coming back from sleep state if I'm in a paused game. I'm actually having some normal wifi issues now so I'm wondering if it's just the location of the console. It's in an (open) entertainment center shelf

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Fyi moving my boneX out of the tv console fixed all my controller disconnects. I mean it was on an open empty shelf with 6 inches of space in any direction and line of sight to the controllers. And still didn't work. Even sitting right next to it. But moving it out fixed everything. Jesus that is some shittily weak connection.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

univbee posted:

I still maintain Hitman is the only current gen game actually doing something gameplay-wise that was impossible last gen.

What does it do?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So moving my xbox one x out of the completely open entertainment center to the top of it made all the controller connect problems go away for... approximately 4 or 5 days. Now they're back. It won't work again.

Ugh what a piece of poo poo. Returning.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bushisms.txt posted:

Finally grabbing an xbone next week. What are the mic\headset solutions?

Joined the group as medi0crity

I bought this refurb'd one and love it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plantronic...3b7fab524473139

(got it from that guy - doesn't come with the Atmos code but that's not really worth it/necessary).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bushisms.txt posted:

Does that need\come with a separate adapter? I was reading somehow you can plug directly into a controller like the ds4?

That's a wireless headset (you just plug the transceiver into a USB port on the bone). I love it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hellblade seems disturbing and cool (despite the dumbass name) but the combat was an immediate turnoff for me. Does it get better or lessen overtime?

Something about all this cool story and atmosphere and then "ok now wait here and battle 5 of the exact same guy over and over again with clunky slow combat" just makes me not want to continue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
On the opposite end, goddamn Forza Horizon 4 is loving gorgeous.

Except there is way too much "going on" in that game. Navigating the menu system is utter hell with the 8 trillion "seasons" and events and leveling and I can't follow my progress for loving poo poo. I have no idea what's going on in that game.

Still have fun just farting around in it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

Just spend 3 hours zooming over hills and knocking down fences in a Range Rover while trying to get your score combo over 1 million and never actually complete a race.

This is me except in the Jeep Trailcat

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheScott2K posted:

Forza Horizon 3 is better than 4. Australia is a better setting and Hot Wheels is way better than legos

Oh poo poo Australia? Yeah I might have to get in on that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

twistedmentat posted:

If I have one complaint about Doom is that there are too many segments were you're locked in a room and have to kill waves of enemies before it unlocks.

That sounds like....... Doom.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

It looks incredible if you're a fan of the non-bad Fallout games. I'm getting hyped.

Reviews are pretty great all around.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RBX posted:

I like owning my games and not having to play it before it goes away. Oh and not having to pay monthly for the privilege.

Then... do that? You know you can just buy the game if you want right? But for those of us that like to try games out, or don't care about permanent ownership of games we know are one-off plays, then PC GamePass + Xbox GamePass + Xbox Live for 3 straight years at $151 is an absolute deal you do not pass up.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Do you like grinding materials and inventory management? If so maybe. I think it's still half finished and boring.

The latest big update fixed most of the grinding and inventory management issues so that's not an issue anymore either.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

It absolutely did not.

I haven't played it since 1.3 but I do recall all of the reviews saying the latest "Beyond" update definitely eased inventory management and grinding issues.

It doesn't get rid of them since crafting is part of the game, but just makes things easier on the player. https://www.nomanssky.com/beyond-update/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Okay, maybe actually play the update before repeatedly arguing about basic gameplay elements with someone who has. The game is still a grind and nothing else. That's the whole point of NMS.

Lol calm down you reactionary nerd... I wasn't arguing for anything. Just relaying what I had read.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

You're calling people NERDS!!! on the internet while giving opinions on games you haven't even played. But yes I will calm down from my enraged state, thank you.

No no no, I played tons of NMS. I just sold it before the latest update (and switched from PS4 to Xboxen). I'll pick it back up eventually.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is Halo 5 worth playing? I don't do MP so only SP campaign.

It's the only Halo I haven't played, I've installed it and started it but it's kinda feelin' supperrrrrr generic and I don't know if I even want to continue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

katkillad2 posted:

So did Crackdown 3 get patched to be a good game or were people just overreacting about how bad it was? Because I've been playing it for a few hours and it seems pretty good.

Never played Sunset Overdrive either, I'll give that a go when I'm finished with Crackdown.

Also anyone else with the game pass thing should give Lonely Mountains: Downhill a try, really cool game.

I didn't get an Xbox again until recently (Crackdown 1 & 2 being some of my favorite time wasters) so I never read any of the reviews but as someone enjoyed the first two... I enjoyed 3 as well.

I mean it's all about the orbs and it fulfills that just fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nuts and Gum posted:

I still use the one that came with the console because the fancy over-the-ears one I bought has no way to loving mute yourself.

I love the Plantronics RIG 800LX I got refurbed on eBay for $50. Great sound, easy to use audio/chat controls and to mute yourself you just swing the mic up which is a super easy reflex move to do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fly Ricky posted:

Thanks for tip!

I'm still pissed about the 3 months for a buck deal not working. The fine print days "Not for current subscribers" but nothing about former subscribers.

edit: RDR2 doesn't show a discount for me...

It's the Ultimate Edition. It's down to $40 from $100

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Horizon 4 as weirdly become my most played game. I was never a driving guy but it's just beautiful (on the X at least) and fun as hell to gently caress around in. I'm like level 122 right now I think.

I want a version of FH4 with destructable cars and then maybe a Flight Simulator Horizons in the future so I can do all the cool poo poo in that game without the learning curve.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RBA Starblade posted:

The PC version lets you turn on damage modeling; the cosmetics get really beat to poo poo but physically they just start listing and going slower. The F2P one had your tires burst if you hosed up though lol

Wait why is PC version different? I mean on the XBOX you can get some cosmetic damage but as far as I can tell no performance loss. I assume it's all a licensing agreement thing...right?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RBA Starblade posted:

It's one of the difficulty modifiers there, is it not on the bone?

Oh you know what it might be... I just never ventured in there other than to set my difficulty to "Above Average" and then that's it.

Cojawfee posted:

Manufacturers not allowing their cars to be damaged hasn't been a thing in years. I think damage is just turned down a bit in Horizon because it's not fun to launch your car off a cliff and then not being able to drive anymore because obviously everything is bent now.

Well that's just me showing my age then ha.

I don't want anything realistic. I want Forza Horizon graphics/cars/etc with some fun-as-poo poo Burnout style crashing (and quick resetting).

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 19, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So totally superficial question - how does Forza Horizon 3 hold up to 4 graphically? I'm a sucker for good graphics and, while I want to play 3, I have a mental block on going to a game with lesser graphics.

It's stupid I know, but that be me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
ohhh yeah that sounds nice. But goddamn it's still expensive

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ethanol posted:

forza horizon isnt interesting enough to play more than one i would just go with 4 and pay a $1 for it on gamespass

Yeah I'm on gamepass (sup 3 years for $1) and am nearly done with it which is why I was asking. Kinda was hoping 3 would be on GP as well.

Frame rate used to be the main problem with Horizon 3 but maybe they patched that?

If you don't have an X that's irrelevant of course but I think a fellow graphics whore would.

Yeah I'm on an X

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ethanol posted:

in that case you'd probably like it i'd just wait for a deep sale

deep

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I'm almost done milkin FH4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BrownieVK posted:

FH3 does not have a 60fps mode on the OneX making it worse than FH4. That makes such a huge difference playing the game.

I'm exactly the reverse. I turned on 60fps mode in 4 and it was just too ugly to me. The 30fps "high quality" mode it perfect for me.