Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

that doesn't seem like a very tough name. rapper still like to be tough don't they? i'm so unhip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lil sledge, lil tanky, lil hippo. Kinda takes the piss out of all those things. :shrug:

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
nobody's big enough to be call big anything due to 40 years of neoliberalism and everyone on food stamps

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Because they commonly acquire their sobriquets as children, who are often described as being little

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

homage to rugrats

gotta represent

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mnoba posted:

nobody's big enough to be call big anything due to 40 years of neoliberalism and everyone on food stamps

Counterpoint: 10% of the entire world's population are obese. That's 700 million people. Lots of people can be called "big ___"

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

CAN U FEEL IT YEAH posted:

that doesn't seem like a very tough name. rapper still like to be tough don't they? i'm so unhip!

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

lil cracky

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

lil muffintop

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Mnoba posted:

lil muffintop
That muffintop is not "lil," no.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lil Wang is my favorite lil rapper.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Lil Wang is my favorite lil rapper.

is he oriental?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

lil bit of puke in my mouth

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
lil hivy, the rapper that causes aids

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

it signifies pride in having a small penis

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe partially, he's black but he does have trouble with saying the g on the end, so maybe oriental.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
They all call themselves 'lil' because they'll never be Biggie...although technically he too was Small, so...eh?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
lil Lowtax

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Because they got lil originality.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
99.9% of rap is about hypermasculine posing and posturing. This kind of fake big boy macho men tough guy act. So they're using it ironically.

Like calling a fat guy "Tiny" or a guy who never wears a hat "Jimmy the Hat." They all think that they're big boy macho men tough guys, so they choose a name opposite of that.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

Kleen_TheRacistDog posted:

99.9% of rap is about hypermasculine posing and posturing. This kind of fake big boy macho men tough guy act. So they're using it ironically.

Like calling a fat guy "Tiny" or a guy who never wears a hat "Jimmy the Hat." They all think that they're big boy macho men tough guys, so they choose a name opposite of that.

so can we call you "good poster" :nattyburn:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some guy should just call himself "Big Penis" :smug:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rappers like the idea of being disadvantaged and growing past it.
Mental illnesses are getting cooler. Eventually they'll be Downs Boi and Autistic Wayne.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 13, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

My god... irony poisoning has even gotten to the rap world

Soon enough well see Crackerstomper58

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

My god... irony poisoning has even gotten to the rap world

Soon enough well see Crackerstomper58

he'll rap about "getting" odd future

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Eazy E was like 5' tall and had a high pitched voice but sounded gangster as gently caress anyway so I'm pretty sure that's where it started.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLXTcm00xhg

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Eazy E was like 5' tall and had a high pitched voice but sounded gangster as gently caress anyway so I'm pretty sure that's where it started.

I hope these rappers who are influenced by him follow his lead and die of gay AIDS, tbh....

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Originally it started out because the guys were literally short. My guess as to why rappers tend to be shorter than average is because they weren't good at sports because of their height so they stayed indoors and made mixtapes.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Jestery posted:

lil Lowtax

tiny lowtax to all the white boys

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
they shrank in the laundry, OP

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I hope these rappers who are influenced by him follow his lead and die of gay AIDS, tbh....

So you want all these rappers to gently caress you?

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Some guy should just call himself "Big Penis" :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rnFlQAvk8U

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

bigshaming, mainly

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lil dickey owns

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ha cool rear end video.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
because lil wayne literally got signed to a record label at nine years old. lil bow wow started his career as a wee child. it was just a name for kid rappers and probably happened independently

then those people grew up and kept using their name as an adult and it just kind of became a generic rapper title than just being a title that they are small

like most the people now who use it just picked it. lil jon started rapping at like 30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
You can't really "nowadays" something that's been going on for over a decade and a half. What's with everyone having cellphones nowadays?

• Locked thread