Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The southern American communist resistance member threw me for a loop. This game is going to make people SO ANGRY in the best possible way. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Nazis are supremely dumb motherfuckers, news at 11.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Its going to be turning point: fall of liberty, except not poo poo.

Machine games sense of humor just meshes so well with the setting. :allears:

God help me, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what their version of the MP40, the second most overused video game gun of all time, looks like.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Well, that was a Loper, which was a precursor to the Proto-soldats, which were beta versions of the real ubersoldats in that game.

The 1947 Ubersoldats in TNO were basically much nicer modeled versions of the RTCW ubersoldats.

Less gothic armor design too, which is probably a good thing as warhammer 40k already exists.

Let us all remember that the original ubersoldats were used by a germen lingerie model to resurrect some dark ages german king in order to win the war.

I appreciate deathshead being consequently pissed off at the SS paranormal division for wasting time and resources on mystical bullshit. Turns out he was (mostly) right!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Let us all hope for the chance to do something unspeakable to Blitzmensch's actor during the game. :allears:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU01Ct1pQ08

New gameplay footage. Spoilers, of course.

This mission reminds me of the Chicago level from the Resistance: fall of man series.

It also reminds me that Resistance did nothing interesting with historical context of the setting. :negative:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

I feel like there's room for a story where the Nazis develop super-tech... and still lose the war because, yes Nazis are that incompetent.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

I heard somewhere in the various mil his threads that the soviets did a study on the life span of their tanks and basically concluded that the average T-34 would be scrap long before the engine issues would seriously effect performance of the individual T-34, so they just said gently caress it to improving that facet of the T-34.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

I am more excited for this game than ever because of that feature revelation a ways up, but also

Because Tank stories are one of the best ways to humiliate nazis

Ask and ye shall receive.

Ramming an emeny tank with your tank that is on fire and then having them both explode is a really metal way to go out. :black101:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Mordja posted:

Yeah that's the order I played them originally, though I also replayed RTCW and Wolf09 directly prior.

Fact: there hasn't been a bad Wolfenstein game. Though I never really got into Wolf3D.

Or a bad Doom game!

:saddowns: "What about Doom thre-"

:argh: I said no bad Doom games damnit!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

I guess I'm about 80% through the game (I just got past the audition scene on Venus) and I'm enjoying the game but I do have some quibbles. Might as well just get all the thoughts out there.

1. Stealth. The game has made a radical change from TNO and TOB by making Nazis acknowledge dead bodies. This seems like a good idea in theory, but since you can't toss those dead bodies off a railing or put them behind an area like in Metal Gear, it's real easy for some rando Nazi to see that you just capped someone as they walk by. You also don't have any kind of intel or marking tools (such as the binocs to spot enemies) so trying to case out a joint to play stealthily is quite difficult. If you enjoy playing the game quietly when possible so you can hear Nazi conversations (as I do), they make it particularly hard to do that. Also, for some reason hatcheting someone is quieter than a silenced pistol hitting their head at range. Nazis do respond to distraction noises (like plinking something nearby to get someone to walk away) but it's again not as effective as something like Metal Gear. I mean, I've gotten used to how the game plays, but it's really freakin' hard to play it quietly when you can't properly know how to peel a situation apart.

8. The conversations are still grade-A good, both on the U-boat and by the Nazis.

Some of the conversations are almost original Thief tier, they're so good. :allears:

They're the main reward to stealthing it up.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Speshie must have been a hell of a lawyer to get Grace acquitted. That letter he wrote to grace that you find in Roswell made me tear up.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

Fun fact: actual historical Nazis banned smoking on public transport, in government buildings and NSDAP offices. They also conducted anti-smoking campaigns (typical slogan: you do not consume/devour it. It devours/consumes you). Which makes it very strange, in fact downright un-Nazi, that there are adverts for Wolf brand sigarettes in several places in TNO and that Frau Engel smokes openly on the train. Instead, it should have been a plot point that the only tobacco available is black market and have the resistance make a point of how the Nazis banned smoking and consider it yet another oppressive measure.

Consider these two, well not facts but probabilities, one: Grace is almost certainly the most wanted woman in the continental United States and that comes with the life span you expect. Two: the resistance can't exactly walk into a corner store and buy a carton of smokes, and even if they could, Grace doesn't seem like the type to waste resources on something petty like that.

So it adds up to Grace probably going to eat a Nazi bullet long before any kind of cancer was gonna kill her anyway.

Xenomrph posted:

I'm still predicting that Wolf3 uses time travel to send BJ back in time to pre-TNO to stop any of this Nazi nonsense from even happening (essentially creating the real life timeline we know), and that he probably dies as a result. Game ends with younger BJ in the new timeline meeting Anya, implying that he gets to have a happy family post-war in the new, Nazi-free timeline.

Time travel feels like a cheap cop out at this point in the series though. They've put all this work into the setting and they're just gonna reset it?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

The ninja bots are easily dismantled, the only time I had trouble with them is when they blindsided me.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Playing the Captain feels especially good since its been a while since you got to kill nazis while in an American uniform in wolfenstein. :unsmith:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Machine Games has said that their Wolfenstein games were always meant to be a trilogy.

I appreciate that they planned it from the start as a trilogy, unlike some video game franchises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Tesla guns back mother fuckers! :argh: