Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

China started winning against the Japanese so the nazis took China and made Japan a client/puppet state. Same with Italy.

Sounds pretty accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That did happen. During the 30s when Japan and China were slugging it out, Germany did for a time supply aid to the Chinese. Wasn't the first time European nations intervened in Chinese affairs either

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm almost scared to think what a Wolfenstein China would look like, half occupied Nanking half retro future Opium War Era Chinese government.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Cnidaria posted:

They were defeated by the Nazis.

A case of "I never expected allying with the leopard that eats faces resulting in it eating my face!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's a very American way of looking at things. The Nazis were German supremacists, not white supremacists - with the rest of the Germanic race falling in the lower tier of the best race, the Italians on top of the second tier race, and so on. Please don't erase our proud European history of hating people based on poo poo Americans could hardly dream of.

this. i took a bunch of classes on the nazis and poo poo and their terrible stupid race therorys" are more complex what people say they are. basically aryans/germanics were on top of the race chart and slavs were on the bottom at slave race status, the jews and romani were viewed as not even being part of the chart and were a evil hybrid parasite race or some poo poo. african/pocs were viewed as subhuman but there was never really a coherent effort to kill them or gently caress with them outside the "rhineland bastards(kids of colonial troops from ww1) who were sterilized.

gently caress i feel dirty now.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Crabtree posted:

I'm almost scared to think what a Wolfenstein China would look like, half occupied Nanking half retro future Opium War Era Chinese government.

I think the Soviet Union would be the bleakest to see. Just nobody non-German left or cities remembered at all.

Tons of unoccupied Brutalist apartment blocks because it turns out their anticipated need for "living space" was wildly optimistic. Like the Chinese empty new-build cities IRL kinda, but reprehensible.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

I think the Soviet Union would be the bleakest to see. Just nobody non-German left or cities remembered at all.

Tons of unoccupied Brutalist apartment blocks because it turns out their anticipated need for "living space" was wildly optimistic. Like the Chinese empty new-build cities IRL kinda, but reprehensible.

yeah, i assume everyone is dead or slaves with tons of empty buildings. i assume they use the farmland and mineral deposits and build weapons there. i am more curious where the ubersolders come from, are they just wounded soldiers be made whole or something alot worse which the game strongly hints at. the asylum being used as shop for test subjects, i am sure the camps do too

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i took a bunch of classes on the nazis and poo poo and their terrible stupid race therorys" are more complex what people say they are. basically aryans/germanics were on top of the race chart and slavs were on the bottom at slave race status, the jews and romani were viewed as not even being part of the chart and were a evil hybrid parasite race or some poo poo. african/pocs were viewed as subhuman but there was never really a coherent effort to kill them or gently caress with them outside the "rhineland bastards(kids of colonial troops from ww1) who were sterilized.

The closest to taking a pro-"white" position is probably Hitler wanting to make a deal with Britain. He was a pretty big fan of Britain oppressing all those weird Africans and Asians, so he thought they should just keep doing that and he'd settle for being made master of Europe. The Brits didn't go for it, because despite sorta being the originators of the modern idea of white, they weren't white supremacists either - and becoming Hitler's world camp guard was not a fitting destiny for the glorious British nation.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I seem to remember hearing that they considered the Japanese to be the "Master Race of the East" or something like that, but I don't know the specifics or if that was just political expediency or what.

Edit: vv That's some weird, kinda hilarious, pretty horrifying bullshit right there.

catlord fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 17, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

catlord posted:

I seem to remember hearing that they considered the Japanese to be the "Master Race of the East" or something like that, but I don't know the specifics or if that was just political expediency or what.
When in doubt, it was always political expediency. The Germans/Nazis used to be on China's side, until it was clear China wasn't in any shape to do anything for them. Hell, Hitler was a flexible guy, he apparently ended up putting Slavs on top of his racial chart when the USSR started wrecking their poo poo - figuring that the German people had failed him and now deserved extermination themselves.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When in doubt, it was always political expediency. The Germans/Nazis used to be on China's side, until it was clear China wasn't in any shape to do anything for them. Hell, Hitler was a flexible guy, he apparently ended up putting Slavs on top of his racial chart when the USSR started wrecking their poo poo - figuring that the German people had failed him and now deserved extermination themselves.

Talk about spoilt grapes.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

It's almost like racism doesn't follow any logic at all!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i assume everyone is dead or slaves with tons of empty buildings. i assume they use the farmland and mineral deposits and build weapons there. i am more curious where the ubersolders come from, are they just wounded soldiers be made whole or something alot worse which the game strongly hints at. the asylum being used as shop for test subjects, i am sure the camps do too

In RTCW ubersoldats were essentially eldritch horrors made from fallen soldiers and "undesirables" by Deathshead in the X-Labs.

In TNO the 1960s versions are manufactured on the moon base, but I would imagine they follow the same basic idea.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

In RTCW ubersoldats were essentially eldritch horrors made from fallen soldiers and "undesirables" by Deathshead in the X-Labs.

In TNO the 1960s versions are manufactured on the moon base, but I would imagine they follow the same basic idea.

pretty much. i think machine games counts RTCW as canon as well as the 360 game wolfenstein game for obvious reasons.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

sorta. he legit believed in his race "dog eat dog" struggle. if the slavs were stronger, they were stronger. then again hitler was basically mentally and physicaly broken(from a cocktail of drugs and possibly other poo poo) by the end so who knows.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The closest to taking a pro-"white" position is probably Hitler wanting to make a deal with Britain. He was a pretty big fan of Britain oppressing all those weird Africans and Asians, so he thought they should just keep doing that and he'd settle for being made master of Europe. The Brits didn't go for it, because despite sorta being the originators of the modern idea of white, they weren't white supremacists either - and becoming Hitler's world camp guard was not a fitting destiny for the glorious British nation.

yeah, he wanted england to be his ally because of race poo poo plus they would be helpful fighting the russians.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

IIRC the big guy (ex-Nazi's brother) was rescued from the Ubersoldat program. So some of them are hurt/brink of death (like in RtCW) or from an asylum kind of situation like in TNO. Regardless I don't think there's really a "volunteer" situation going on with the Ubersoldats.

Edit: for anyone who didn't play RtCW:

That was the Ubersoldat. They've actually been pretty good at the progression leading up to the dudes in TOB and eventually TNO.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 18, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The funny thing about Old Blood is that it is a soft reboot of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, while also admitting that RTCW still happened. BJ just really likes infiltrating the castle and escaping with the help of men named Kessler on his quest to kill Nazis named Helga.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Well, that was a Loper, which was a precursor to the Proto-soldats, which were beta versions of the real ubersoldats in that game.

The 1947 Ubersoldats in TNO were basically much nicer modeled versions of the RTCW ubersoldats.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

kefkafloyd posted:

Well, that was a Loper, which was a precursor to the Proto-soldats, which were beta versions of the real ubersoldats in that game.

The 1947 Ubersoldats in TNO were basically much nicer modeled versions of the RTCW ubersoldats.

Less gothic armor design too, which is probably a good thing as warhammer 40k already exists.

Let us all remember that the original ubersoldats were used by a germen lingerie model to resurrect some dark ages german king in order to win the war.

I appreciate deathshead being consequently pissed off at the SS paranormal division for wasting time and resources on mystical bullshit. Turns out he was (mostly) right!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Less gothic armor design too, which is probably a good thing as warhammer 40k already exists.

Let us all remember that the original ubersoldats were used by a germen lingerie model to resurrect some dark ages german king in order to win the war.

I appreciate deathshead being consequently pissed off at the SS paranormal division for wasting time and resources on mystical bullshit. Turns out he was (mostly) right!

yeah. i like the TNO idea of deathshead. he is just these extremely happy and into his work, like he doesn't even care that the castle is under attack, he just wants new specimens to dissect. they way he moves around is like mix of spider/predator animal and a small gitty child in candy shop. the "i like the eyes on this one" line gives me shivers and how he is jumping around on all fours. and how he honestly believes he is doing good things and making the world a better place. christ they did a great job with him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dwight Shultz absolutely nails Deathshead and has a good German accent to boot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. he legit believed in his race "dog eat dog" struggle. if the slavs were stronger, they were stronger. then again hitler was basically mentally and physicaly broken(from a cocktail of drugs and possibly other poo poo) by the end so who knows.
Yeah, true. I could easily imagine him having throwing a tantrum about it while cooped up in his bunker, but his ability to define what Nazism was going to be was not really what it used to be at that point. To get back to the game, I hope they include Hitler in one of the games from this iteration of Wolfenstein, and have him laying down toxic farts all over the place, like he apparently did in real life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i like the TNO idea of deathshead. he is just these extremely happy and into his work, like he doesn't even care that the castle is under attack, he just wants new specimens to dissect. they way he moves around is like mix of spider/predator animal and a small gitty child in candy shop. the "i like the eyes on this one" line gives me shivers and how he is jumping around on all fours. and how he honestly believes he is doing good things and making the world a better place. christ they did a great job with him.

"Not zis one! Somebody broke it already! :mad:"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

He's Skull Face from MGS V. That's... oddly appropriate casting for a show about eliminating language. :stare:

Also want to say I've actually finally gotten around to MGSV, and while Skullface has only shown up a few times, now all I hear is Avitus coming from his mouth too.

I apparently haven't gotten far enough to understand your reference about eliminating language, though I just did the mission where You go to rescue that child soilder and find the hospital of horrors where people have ear buds in their throats so I can only imagine where it goes from there.

I've also been replaying this game. It is so much more fun the second time around when you have everything unlocked and can do maximum murder out the gate, ammo willing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The bit where Deathshead insists you say his name in German is chilling. I didn't even understand it the first time I played so it came off as sort of a Lovecraftian secret name. drat, German, you creepy

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

General Battuta posted:

The bit where Deathshead insists you say his name in German is chilling. I didn't even understand it the first time I played so it came off as sort of a Lovecraftian secret name. drat, German, you creepy

Yeah, the trailers half covered that scene and it came across as "I don't like that name because I am a happy man" which is honestly freaky enough, but then the actual scene in the game... oof.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

"Not zis one! Somebody broke it already! :mad:"

"Such a pity" then him cursing you for blowing up the blimps and killing men with families.

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, I like how he is legit irritated about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

new trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz7PDBhav5s

kinda wish they went with a more racist looking villians(would fit with the nazis better instead of turkey man and statue of liberty) but i get why the didnt.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ahdunno, this works better at capturing hokey 60s action shows.

Well that and the Nazis probably wiped out most of the racial undesirables so all they have left are demonizing the more unobjectionable parts of American culture to get the kids fully indoctrinated.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wasn't one of the patriot-villains in that cartoon a black dude? Certainly looked like one.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

yeah, sorta presaged by the mad science monkey cat in the trailer. BJ's in a wheelchair to start and then later he has a weird ring around his neck like the monkey cat. probably harvested himself a brand new body from a Nazi along the way.

They should leave BJ in a wheelchair the entire game, and give you a gravity gun. You'd be unable to go up stairs and have to use the gravity gun to build ramps everywhere because America didn't become handicap friendly until the late 1900s.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CommissarMega posted:

Wasn't one of the patriot-villains in that cartoon a black dude? Certainly looked like one.

Yeah, the redcoat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tony Snark posted:

Ahdunno, this works better at capturing hokey 60s action shows.

Well that and the Nazis probably wiped out most of the racial undesirables so all they have left are demonizing the more unobjectionable parts of American culture to get the kids fully indoctrinated.

true. i think the illegal eagle looks loving bad rear end. and yeah i guess alot of the jewish people are probably dead or in deep hiding.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

new trailer.

kinda wish they went with a more racist looking villians(would fit with the nazis better instead of turkey man and statue of liberty) but i get why the didnt.

Dang, they're going all out with the alternate history propaganda. Good stuff! I wonder if they will do something similar with music again i.e.Neumond Records.
http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/Neumond_Records

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Dang, they're going all out with the alternate history propaganda. Good stuff! I wonder if they will do something similar with music again i.e.Neumond Records.
http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/Neumond_Records

i am sure they will. i love how much detail the put into the world, i think the do a better alternative history nazis then man in high castle(book and show) honestly.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Dapper_Swindler posted:

new trailer.

The theme song is a complete riff on Batman '66 and it's as great as I thought it would be. Hopefully there's some toys of this in the game that BJ burns with the flamethrower.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 22, 2017

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kefkafloyd posted:

The theme song is a complete riff on Batman '66 and it's as great as I thought it would be. Hopefully there's some toys of this in the game that BJ burns with the flamethrower.

Definitely needs finding a Terror Billy figure and giving it a fist bump for the Wolf and DooM connection.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I wonder how much of the cartoon will be referenced ingame. I can see a scenario where BJ punches a man dressed as the main character and steals his clothes for a disguise. Or the various resistance leaders dress up as the villains.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

I wonder how much of the cartoon will be referenced ingame. I can see a scenario where BJ punches a man dressed as the main character and steals his clothes for a disguise. Or the various resistance leaders dress up as the villains.

I just want BJ to shoot a guy climbing a building after poking his head out the window to make a quip.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I really hope there's a level where BJ has to disguise himself as the Illegal Eagle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cicadalek posted:

The ending will be a cartoon format of this, complete with German sound effects words.