Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
On my last TNO play through I found a 'targeting scope' upgrade for the LKW with a really modest description, something like "it highlights enemies and tells you how many shots you need to kill them."

Well it also discharges those shots instantly, meaning you can delete riot Nazis with one peek :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Do I have to buy a disc to play Wolf 09

E: yes looks like it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

With BJ in her power armor at some point no, it doesn't look good. It would be a shame to kill her off after just 1 game though.

Two games but agreed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Anya has apparently murdered a fuckton of Nazis so it's no wonder it was true love.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The full-on death camps were so horrifying I'm not sure I'd want to play them in a video game unless I got to immediately murder everyone involved :(

e: the Belica level is always weirdly and quite inappropriately charming to me because it's so close to a Butcher Bay design. I expected to be told to catch some moths.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Replaying this game got me to play Doom in the hope of more completely joyous gunplay. I miss TNO's characters but Doom still owns. I love the level design and the layout of the combat spaces.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

Also I just found out General Deathshead is voiced by this guy

What? What? :psyduck: I don't think there are any two people, fictional or otherwise, who I would less associate with each other.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

the black husserl posted:

I like these games but I'm pretty sure the developers have some weird fetish for having BJ get brutally maimed, then shrug it off like it's nothing and get right back to the killing.

It happens like a half dozen times in TNO. At this point if BJ got decapitated I wouldn't even blink, I'd just wait for the head to start biting Nazis.

How could he die when there are still Nazis to kill? Dude's a revenant, he knows he's chained his existence to one purpose. That's why he'll never get to be happy with Anya. The moment those loving Hitlers are finally done for, BJ's going to rest. :smith:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Man it's gonna be pretty weird for Anya if BJ gets a new body :stare:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The bit where Deathshead insists you say his name in German is chilling. I didn't even understand it the first time I played so it came off as sort of a Lovecraftian secret name. drat, German, you creepy

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Crabtree posted:

With all of the machine soldiers and mechanized terror weapons running around, I'm surprised the Nazis, if they continue to exist even to 1970, aren't subtly aiming at mechanizing people in general. Like just outright "Flesh is always weak, always diminishes and deludes its once proud features into the weakness of age. The future for our culture is to be forever alive and strong as a living Panzermann.

That's literally Deathshead's plan. He tells you at the end of TNO that he wants to meld the best qualities of people and machines into a perfect, ageless, obedient brain-in-a-suit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mordja posted:

-The Deathshead fight is a pain in the rear end, specifically when you just have to run to those flack guns with zero cover.

Didn't figure this out until I played on highest difficulty but if you throw enough tesla grenades at his shield it'll stun him for a while (maybe while he plays his recharge animation?) That's when you're supposed to make a break for the guns.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I can’t run this game for poo poo, I’ll start googling tomorrow but anyone got any performance guides? Also skippable opening titles would be great!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Aight, I milked some performance out of my creaky old PC with new drivers and lots of low graphics settings! I'm still running an i5-2500k and a GTX 760: would a new GPU get me a stable 60 on moderate settings, or should I just hold off for an entirely new rig? If I'm CPU bottlenecked I'll settle for playing in PS2 mode.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This was a wonderful, heartfelt game, full of insane moments and endearing characters, but it's coming after a contender for best shooter campaign of all time and I don't think it quite matches The New Order. It's a little less substantial (fewer levels, the characters don't get quite as much to do) and much less narratively unified without Deathshead looming over BJ. It still owns a lot.

I think it's missing the 'darkest before the dawn' beat — there's no equivalent here to BJ's return to a burnt-out Kreisau headquarters while Ransacked pillages your soul.

e: gently caress Nazis and the KKK

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In TNO the LKW had an innocent looking upgrade called 'scope' which in fact caused it to instantly discharge as many shots as required to kill everything on screen (battery power allowing). It was an incredible get out of fuckery free card.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm so happy they gave the stealth kill achievement that stupid wonderful name

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

spasticColon posted:

I might pick up Wolfenstein 2 when it goes on sale on Steam but am I going to have to upgrade from my overclocked i5-2500K CPU as well?

No and if your GPU is good (I bought a 1070 for this game) it's unbelievably pretty. One of the first games I think genuinely looks as good as the concept art. The level of detail occasionally felt like it was giving me eye strain :ohdear:

(which makes it even MORE baffling they'd start the game in brown, confusing, unpleasant Manhattan, which looks like poo poo)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It feels like a game that went through some awful development turmoil. Lots of ambitious story and level ideas, then suddenly they're behind schedule and over scope. Cue awful crunch and a lot of patching over cut content to make the story hang together, spackle like 'oh BJ just gets on a ship and goes to Venus.'

If BJ dies at his execution then it's all pointless. I don't mean 'I don't like the theory', I mean it's effectively meaningless. What's the difference?

Don't forget that Anya canonically spent her younger days killing Nazis any way she could, including bombing police stations, seducing and murdering Nazi soldiers, and all sorts of other hot-blooded fascist devastation. It's no surprise she's still pretty into it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I mean it's obviously a set up for some titties but Anya rips her top off cause it's on fire, not b/c she's overwhelmed by ardor (the cutscene director was instead, thus setting her top on fire). I don't remember a flip or an orgasm, she's just pretty turned on iirc? It read to me as just another goofy fun moment in a game with a monkey cat, an evil robot arm, submarine loving, and Hitler puke. The villain stops mid-execution to berate her fat daughter who is there for no reason.

quote:

There's a huge difference between being excited (physically and emotionally) at the idea of being pregnant

I think Anya gets excited about Nazi murder because her entire sex life up to BJ has involved murdering Nazis after seducing them and this probably creates some deeply hosed up associations :v:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's a life-affirming moment of family togetherness. Also orgasms are generally a lot louder than that.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mordja posted:

Oh please, how would you know? :rolleyes:

I read it in a book once

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

finished it

eh, I don't know, for all the discussion you guys had before release, I thought this would have a lot more meat in the bones re: story

Go play The New Order, it's really good and a much more coherent story than this game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Am I missing the joke or did you confuse Team Fortress 2 and Titanfall 2

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

As Doomguy origins go that’s pretty good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

TNC should just have been Anya in the power armor. She’s the new colossus in the TNO ending, it all lines up!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

texting my ex posted:

Wolf 09 was a blast, far better than any of these new games

TNC is especially infuriating because there is a great game underneath, except it's 5 minute gameplay sessions between a lovely movie

Nah TNO is the good one.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

One thing I'll give TNC is that it's loving gorgeous. Probably the only game I've ever played that looks like concept art in motion. Yeah, some of that's wasted on very similar fascist bunkertunnels, but at least they're wonderfully rendered!

Also it has fantastic lasers. I don't think I've ever played a game with lasers that actually felt satisfying and powerful, but the heavy laser weapons in New Colossus pull it off.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Someone in here was talking up OVERLORD, which I’ve got to cast a vote against. It was about as by-the-numbers and unsurprising as you’d imagine a Nazi zombie movie would be. It does have one pretty good scene (the first, uh, onscreen transformation) but otherwise it’s a drag. Stick to The Old Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

None of these criticisms are wrong but at least it looks amazing from a technical standpoint. Not level design, but technical. And man those lasers are good. Best video game lasers since FreeSpace 2, maybe.