Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Somehow I missed this thread's existence.

As many of you are aware (and as evidenced by the second post in this thread), I fuckin' love me some Weird War II and I especially love me some Wolfenstein (in all its flavors). I will never, ever get tired of killing virtual Nazis, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

catlord posted:

I like it just fine, but it gets better when you get a couple upgrades on it.

I've heard good things about The Saboteur, I should pick that up at some point. It's less Weird War but still alternate history, right?
The Saboteur rules, its GTA: Occupied Paris with a moderate amount of Assassins Creed parkour mixed in for flavor. The black and white/color gimmick is slick, and the protagonist is pretty consistently entertaining.

The one thing I really liked about it is it's got a tangible sense of progression - you start out with nothing, and have to gradually acquire gear and abilities as you push back against the Nazis. That means the game ostensibly starts out fairly stealth-heavy where you really have to pick your battles, but as you get better weapons and skills you turn into a Nazi murdering badass.
Also, Nazi outposts and equipment you destroy stay permadead, so it actually feels like you're making headway against the enemy and they're not just constantly respawning.

Also unlike in most open-world games where "the authorities" get pissed if you start murdering innocent civilians, the Nazis in The Saboteur only give a poo poo if you kill Nazis. You can run over Parisian citizens to your heart's content and they won't care. :v:

The game isn't historically accurate by any means, but I wouldn't really call it any more "alternate history" than an Assassin's Creed game. It sacrifices realism and historical accuracy for the sake of gameplay.

Having said that, there is one mission that's basically one big Indiana Jones shout-out where you have to recover some kind of occult relic before the Nazis do. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ditto, I ordered mine the moment it became available.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

kefkafloyd posted:

With TNO having homages to historical people (with Tesla/Tekla and Hendrix/J), what are the odds of that happening again in The New Colossus?

The beardy communist resistance leader is named Horton. Five bucks he's alt-universe Colonel Harlan Sanders.

Tesla/Tekla is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I bought the TNO collectors edition and it was absolutely worth it. It came with a ton of random stuff, and the Panzerhund was awesome. It wasn't just some statue, every joint was articulated. It was WAY more impressive than I expected.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Entropic posted:

I like that we've established that TNO and TOB are the only "real" wolfenstein games worth considering at this point.

Get outta here with that poo poo, every Wolfenstein game is good and worth playing. It's one of the few "franchises" out there without a single bad entry.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

Unless you count the lost missions from 3D, or you dislike how 09 chased modern trends instead of finding its own identity

Wolf09 was freaking great from beginning to end. I'm even willing to excuse the respawning enemies in the hub world because murdering them was consistently fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GUI posted:

iirc Black Sun was the name of the ~~green dimension~~ from Wolf09.

I wonder if they'll do anything with that Nazi sun powered death beam that's mentioned in one of the TNO newspapers.

~*~Weird War II history time!~*~

The Black Sun was a real-world occult symbol that was in use at the time of the Nazi party:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sun_%28occult_symbol%29

It's even present in Wewelsburg Castle, the real life inspiration for Castle Wolfenstein as it's depicted in RtCW.

The sun powered death beam you're thinking of is based on a real-world Nazi superweapon project called the Sun Gun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Werix posted:

Now now American, say it in German! (Or Else!).

"So much for the tolerant left" in German would make an even better thread title.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

As someone who doesn't speak German and fully recognizes that you could have just told me to gently caress my own father and I'd be none the wiser, I'm going to say "yeah, sure!"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Marshal Radisic posted:

it probably wouldn't have been much fun to be bouncing off the walls trying to shoot bouncing Nazis in those little habitats.

Counterpoint: the opening train station level in Wolf09 where the gravity goes all crazy was awesome and hilarious.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nazis. Nazis are going on in that sub.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's because Raven Software was staffed by crazy people who had very *interesting* ideas with regards to level design. Their levels aren't exactly bullet maze corridors, but more "here is your end point, figure it out as you go along". I remember how baffling some of their level design was in the Jedi Knight 2 and Academy games was, to the point where they made fun of it ingame. At one point, Kyle Katarn reckons that a keycard to get to one section of the base will naturally be found three stories down on the far end in the pocket of an officer who for no logical reason is stationed in a service closet.

That sort of level design really vanished for a while after Raven was swallowed whole by Activision, and only the new Wolfenstein and DOOM games come close to their bizarre style.

For those that liked Wolf09, Raven Software's spiritual follow-up "Singularity" was loving great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I liked Timeshift, although I haven't played it since it was new.

I remember playing it at the same time I played the Turok reboot, and I liked that one a lot as well. I've been meaning to replay both games, just to see if I still enjoy them as much now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Oh yes but given Doom is on sale permanently everywhere for £10 as a newer game from the same studio I refused to pay more than that out of principle.

Not sure how you can take advantage if you haven't got a UK account sorry.

Doom, while awesome, was not made by the people who made Wolf TNO.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

echronorian posted:

Zenimax, Bethesdas parent company, published both Doom and Wolfenstein as part of their purchase of id software; I'm not totally sure if id technically still owns Wolfenstein or not, though.
I don't believe they do. Zenimax bought Id, so even if Id owns Wolfenstein/Doom, Zenimax owns Id.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

echronorian posted:

I was actually hoping you'd come in with a definitive answer :P If they outright own the properties I wonder what the terms are for id? They must have some bargaining power in the arrangement.

"Do what we say and we give you a paycheck, don't do what we say and we fire you and find someone who will"? Like, there aren't many original Id employees still working there today.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 20, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Robzilla posted:

I kinda want them to adopt The Man in the High castle and make half of US under Nazi control and the other by the Japanese.

To bad the Nazis had already hosed up Japan

If you're looking for more alt-history fiction with a Germany/Japan controlled USA, check out the book 'The Divide' by William Overgard. The premise is basically the same as Man in the High Castle, but it plays out like an action movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Going to play through on Über :black101:

Tips appreciated.

Shoot/stab the Nazis until they die.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It works every time, and it's consistently satisfying.

Friends don't let friends not murder Nazis.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AceOfFlames posted:

You mean The Semifinal Solution?

(Yes, I heard this joke MANY times at the time)

This is my first time hearing this joke, so let me just say holy poo poo.

kefkafloyd posted:

The interior's sanitized too, and you'll note that they're not actually referred to as Nazis in the book. They've written it such that the opposing force is referred to as "fascists." The interior pages use the three-pointed "Regime" emblem used in the German version of the game (and seen in things like the Blitzmensch video). However, figures like Himmler, the Thule, Black Sun, and so on are actually named, so...

My guess is that they didn't want to make a for-Germany specific release of the book, so they made it sanitized by default.

So wait, is the comic out? Is it a one-shot, or a multi-issue series?

King Vidiot posted:

Everybody outside of Germany is still getting the swastikas in-game right? Because I can't properly murder the gently caress out of Nazis if they don't get me angry with all their swastikas up in my face first.

I unironically agree; I get more enjoyment out of wrecking Nazis (even in non-Wolfenstein games) when they haven't been "sanitized".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. its why i am kinda eh with sniper elite series even though they are fun as gently caress. no swastikas/italian facist symbols at all. then again that game makes me feel loving awful for shooting dudes with the little descriptors. for every "burned down a church with civilians inside" or "takes potshots at civilians for laughs" most are "misses his new born son/daughter", "misses his pet snake" or "wants to marry his gf when he gets home" and most are conscripts.

The Nazi Zombie Army spin-off series has swastikas (and pentagrams) all over the goddamn place, if you're looking for a fun Nazi Murder Simulator.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just stumbled across a mini-documentary about a canceled game called Reich, which was a FPS about the Nazis winning WWII using psychic soldiers or something.

https://youtu.be/SOXvIhKLKI0

The gameplay in the video looks pretty drat cool, I cannot believe I'm only just now learning about this game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If the goal of these trailers is for me to :siren: GET PSYCHED :siren: , then it's working.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

eonwe posted:

killing nazis and fascists is good, is what I think

Preach it, brother :yeah:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Capn Beeb posted:

The sheriff now is the one at nazi rallies either in attendance or letting nazis attack people and sitting back with their thumbs up their rear end.

:same:

Lemme get a god mode cheat, hatchet mania runnin wild

That reminds me of the Officer's House mission in Wolf09. You're supposed to go in and kill a bunch of Nazi officers and steal some intel, and you can totally shoot your way through the level.
But savvy players will notice a fire axe fairly early in the level, and then what was a boilerplate "shoot Nazis" level becomes a slasher film simulator where you're the serial killer, butchering Nazis with an axe while using time-slowing Veil powers. It's loving fantastic.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Capn Beeb posted:

If you are unsure of your curbing prowess or have a disability that may be aggravated by curbing, there are other options:

This is fantastic.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the rogue trooper remake has space nazis.

What Rogue Trooper remake? The game from the original Xbox?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yes, YESSSSSSSS, the Nazi tears nourish and sustain me

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kibayasu posted:

The only frustrating part of The New Order is having to manually pick up every piece of ammo, health, and armor that ends up on the floor. The sequel is changing that at least.

Oh they are? That's a smart move.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For those of you looking for other Nazi-killin' murder simulators (of various quality), Ubersoldier 2 is on Steam and it's pretty entertaining. It's got hilariously awful voice acting, but the superpowers are fun to use and it's got some good setpiece action bits. It's pretty much a proto-Wolf09, in that it predates it, has a similar tone, is nowhere near as polished, and Wolf09's Veil powers are pretty much copied wholesale from Ubersoldier 2.

For those that want to know the answer to the question, "what if Wolf TNO came out 10 years earlier, and wasn't very good?", look no further than Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. On paper the game has a lot of neat ideas - the Nazi weapons, vehicles, and even their uniforms are based on historically documented stuff the Nazis were working on and intended to roll out had the war gone more in their favor. You can tell the developers did a lot of research and actually gave a poo poo.
The problem is, all the good intentions and historical research in the world can't make up for a lack of skill at making a good game. The AI is garbage, the shooting mechanics aren't particularly fun and makes the AI a chore to fight, and the characters and writing are half-baked at best. There's a bunch of setpieces that COULD have been really awesome and visually striking, if the game engine wasn't so mediocre and unpolished. Like the opening level where you're on a high-rise in Manhattan when a Nazi air assault happens could have been goddamn awesome. There's these small glimmers of brilliance where you can tell that the developers had strong ideas of what they wanted to achieve, but just lacked the technical ability to realize it. The game isn't unplayable, but it skirts the line a couple times.

I'd say it's worth playing if you can find it for dirt-cheap and you're really hard-up for a new Nazi-killin' game; I found I got the most enjoyment out of it by setting my expectations bedrock-low and viewing the game through the lens of "what were the developers trying to achieve?" and letting my imagination run wild, and trying to not focus on the janky gameplay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

And if you want x-ray cams of your bullets shredding Nazi zombies, then Zombie Army Trilogy is a real good time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

poisonpill posted:

The criminally forgotten open-world game Saboteur features a foul-mouthed Irish race car driver freeing France from the Nazis in black and white.

The Saboteur is fantastic, and still my favorite open-world game to date. It's one of the few ones where killing enemies and clearing out outposts means they stay dead, so scrubbing the map clean of the Nazi scourge feels like you're making tangible progress.
It's also got some choice one-liners - one of the random lines your character can say after killing a Nazi is, "One down, a million to go."

Preach it, brother. Amen. :hellyeah:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Saboteur does a good job of making you feel weak and gradually empowering you. Yeah it feels like you get railroaded into stealth a lot in the early game, but know that the game DOES let you "go loud" as you acquire more tools and abilities.
It also makes thematic sense - BJ Blazcowicz you are not, you're just some dude starting with nothing in goddamn Nazi-occupied Paris, trying to topple the regime from within. It makes it feel really rewarding when you earn the tools necessary to really wreck Nazis indiscriminately.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

On the topic of Wolfenstein 2, I'll say that Nico Vega's song "Beast" would have been a fantastic trailer song choice if Bioshock Infinite hadn't used it first.

https://youtu.be/5e3uiAIia-4

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Perestroika posted:

While we're on Nazi-killing games, Velvet Assassin was also pretty good and is often forgotten about. It's a Splinter Cell-style stealth game about a British spy behind enemy lines who has a knife, an objective, and a million as-of-yet unslit Nazi throats in her way. Though fair warning, it's quite a bit darker and not nearly as gleeful as Wolfenstein or The Saboteur. You might stab the poo poo out of some Wehrmacht soldier and find a letter on his body detailing how he's scared to poo poo and just wishes he had the guts to desert. Though that's not to say it's squeamish or tries to do some "all sides bad" thing, it does very firmly come down on the "gently caress these guys" side of things, and towards the end you'll probably find yourself going out of your way to cut up every single guy in a level on general principle.

Don't feel too bad about shanking dudes in Velvet Assassin, many of the people you're killing are members of the Dirlewanger Brigade, a group so evil that other Nazis said "whoa, what the gently caress".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Samovar posted:

Last time I heard someone being this upset over games was Jack Thompson.

poo poo, at least Thompson's moral outrage kinda made sense. Even if I didn't agree with him, I can understand why someone would be upset with the GTA games, which let you pretty much be a mass murderer if you want.

But Wolfenstein? Killing Nazis is quite possibly the single most patriotic and morally just thing an American can do.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

echronorian posted:

That giant tire bike BJ rides looks like the bike Mr Garrison makes that fucks your rear end

I immediately thought of General Grievous' wheelbike from Star Wars episode 3.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sakurazuka posted:

Has there ever been an FPS that has bosses and they didn't suck?

Wolfenstein3D :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looking forward to Hitler rolling around, looking like FDR with a mustache.

This is probably a good segue to recommend that everyone watch the movie FDR: American Badass.