Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I work at a (relatively nice) hotel and as far as I can tell, people are angry, making GBS threads, bleeding, drunk monsters. They're also heavy, stinking smokers, and all of them have deep personal issues that I am obligated to care about because they are a paying guest and I am basically a living anal douche wedged deeply into the sphincter of their problems. These things are true regardless of country of origin, financial status, gender, or any other factor.

people go absolutely nuts when they are paying to sleep/poo poo somewhere.

I would never go back to retail or food service, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
When I was in high school, I did the outlet mall circuit, same as every other kid in my small-rear end town.

There's a somewhat obscure outlet chain called the VF Outlet. Imagine a Target-sized store, only there is virtually no semblance of order, and some of the clothing is extremely irregular/flawed (pants where the legs are different lengths, shirts with misprints, underwear that cost 50 cents and was about the quality you'd expect for that price, etcetera). Our demographic was an odd mix of Chinese tourists (literally, the outlet store was a tour bus stop for Chinese-speaking tours in spite of its rural location) and mountain folk who'd come from as far as Montana to load up on two or three carts' worth of lovely, dirt cheap clothing.

I had one woman roll up with a bazillion pounds of clothing for her 15 grandchildren or whatever. When it came time to pay, she tried to use her sister's EBT card, which my system couldn't even recognize, much less use for clothing. When I was finally able to get this across to her, she looked grimly into the middle distance and muttered, "That's okay. That's why I always got my sock." She reached down the front of her dress, between her massive, ancient, slab-like tits, and withdrew a sweat stained sock. Inside the sock was a tightly rolled wad of cash. I will never, ever forget how warm and moist those bills were as I peeled them apart. I had to lay each bill out separately over the rest of the cash in my till so they could dry out a bit.

But, hell, if I'd refused to take the sweaty tit cash I'd have had to ring all the merchandise back into our system. Some poo poo just isn't worth it.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
since we're all sharing among friends...im deathfat and my face has been used as an aid to induce vomiting

You should always haggle with hotels BTW. Especially boutique hotels staffed by goons who want to go back to shitposting. They will want you to stop talking ASAP, so you can usually get them to knock off 20 or 30 bucks from the rate.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
people who come into vent/anecdote threads to give """"advice"""" are only here to suck their own boners and feel edified in their life choices. If you mentally replace their posts with a cummy-sounding slurp slurp slurp, you'll have a better posting experience.

Re: being made to stay late...

When I was a teen doing the outlet mall circuit, I worked at a GAP outlet. One night, the store was apocalyptically messy, because people are animals. So the store manager pulled the evening floor manager aside and told her not to let us out until the place was spotless. The store closed at 9PM and we were supposed to leave by 10. Cleaning the whole place up would've taken until well after midnight.

I was really dumb and naïve. So I wrote up a letter to the store manager saying that locking a bunch of high school students in the store til all hours of the night wouldn't be tolerated, and got my coworkers to sign their names in agreement. The floor manager was a pill addict who gave no shits, so as soon as she realized that we were not having it, she was like "gently caress it" and let us out.

As soon as I walked in the next day, management surrounded me like I was a suspicious package and they were the bomb squad. I am amazed they didn't send a diffusing robot out to talk to me instead. They told me there had been a "misunderstanding" and no of course they would never instruct the shift manager to lock us in the store. The thing is, as I mentioned, the shift manager liked getting high and hated giving fucks about anything, so there is no way she would've taken it upon herself to keep us there.

Anyway, I didn't get in trouble and they didn't keep us heinously late again. The trick is to basically be an idiot and drunken master your way through confrontations with management, I guess.

Epilogue: a couple months later, I walked into the store on a gorgeous summer day. I think the expression on my face must've been really despairing because pillhead manager took one look at me and said, "Just go. Leave before anyone else sees you. I won't tell them you were ever here." I thanked her, turned on my heel, and never looked back. The cherry on top was the angry voicemail telling me that I'd never be hired at another GAP or GAP-related store ever again :jerkbag:

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 30, 2017

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
if you aren't smothering your children to death so you can spend your last $$ on a bus to Alaska you're not even technically alive

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Zo posted:

except this is gbs, and the op is not a mod

if you want a retail safe space there's a thousand page retail megathread in the BFC subforum full of career sadbrains and nobody to make fun of you

just because you have the platform to be tiresome and unfunny doesn't mean it's the thing you should do tbh. I like a good shitpost as much as the next person but the stuff in this thread is really dumb. It's like the goons who were too reserved or scared to shitpost when they were younger finally got old/brave enough to shitpost, and now they are making their meager, contrarian inroads into a dead form of humor by hassling retail employees

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
ugh customers are the worst

I came into the hotel this morning at the tail end of a domestic violence issue. Dude was way off meds and was trying to barricade two women and a baby in their room. Lots of screaming, lots of threats to kill self. Cops came and hauled the dude out, I had to talk to a crying woman and tell her repeatedly that it wasn't her fault, she didn't cause this.

Hmm maybe I should bootstrap my way to Alaska and give this job to some 19 year old who doesn't give a gently caress and is just earning pocket money while they earn their STEM degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

kazr posted:

You touch a life every day behind the counter of a smelly motel

I wish it was a smelly motel because that would make it a lot less surprising when the clientele lose their minds (or the contents of their bladder or stomach). But it turns out even people who fly in private jets and make decisions that affect the lives of thousands of workers are pretty much joke monkeys like the rest of us. Really makes you think??

My favorite thing was when some CEO absconded with my coworker to go on a liquor run, came back, and started making cocktails on our front desk. Zested a lemon right there. He just wanted one drink though, so he left the rest of the bottle for my coworker and gave me an unopened bottle of red wine because I guess he felt bad about stealing my helper. CEO dude was just sad and lonely. Divorced, never saw his kids, the usual story. He just has the money to make his depression and alcoholism look a lot more fun.

• Locked thread