Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

runupon cracker posted:

it's been more than 20 years since I've worked retail and I still feel the urge to straighten a shelf.

I worked in a used bookstore, that was also a comic store, that was also a movie rental store, that was also a used adult magazine store, that was also an adult movie rental store, that also made up gift baskets on demand. I've seen some poo poo.

The worst customers were invariably the ones who brought in their truckload of musty old books that had been sitting in an attic for a few decades. Despite being warned that the process could take some time and they should probably just come back later, they'd get super impatient because you would stop processing their shitmound of moldy "paper" to serve a customer that might actually lay out some cash for a purchase. They'd argue when told that no, we really couldn't take the book with no front cover that was covered in mold that appeared to be approaching sentience. They'd whine about the lovely rate of trade they were getting. They'd then be shocked! and infuriated! that no, I could not in fact poo poo the book they were looking for out of my rear end when they couldn't find it on the shelf. gently caress those people.

That wasn't the worst part of the job, though. Nor were the sticky pages from the used girly mags. It was the gift baskets. They took a long time to make, and were always under a ridiculous deadline. Hard to make one of those and wait on customers at the same time when you're the only person on staff at the time.

I still have nightmares.
Bookstore customers are insane in a way I've never seen from customers anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

OTOH the guy who prices the used books at the Barnes & Noble by me is easily the most insane retail employee I've ever encountered. He looks and dresses like if Colonel Sanders played The Mask (has the white hair/beard, glasses, big guy, but instead of a white suit it'll be a yellow blazer, green polka-dot slacks and a red striped tie). His pricing scheme is totally incomprehensible - at one point I was told it was based off online prices, but not where online (eBay? Amazon? Niche collectors' sites?). This leads to things like volumes 6, 7 and 8 of a comic book series (Preacher) being priced at $8, $35, and $18 respectively, for no real reason (they're out of print but the prices are pretty stable across all the volumes). I still find decent deals and cool finds, but not nearly as much as I used to. I once got a signed, uncorrected proof copy of one of the Science of Discworld books for $6, now they've had a signed, 1st-edition copy of Good Omens for $150 sitting on display for like 6 months that nobody will buy at that price.
He's probably using Bookfinder. Bookfinder, as I recall, prices poo poo like ebay: it just shows you a list of everyone selling the book on the site. So inevitably it all gets inflated because sellers just chase each other's prices, then it crashes when someone decides to sell a book cheap.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Customers at major book chains are generally fine. It's the little independent stores that get the crazies. When you have an independent bookstore, you aren't really selling books. You can't out-compete the internet price-wise. It's a losing battle. Instead, you're selling the bookstore. You're selling the experience of browsing and spending time in it, and the sense of identity that comes with being the patron of a local bookstore. This means you have to be this weird meeting place, host book clubs, do signings, be part of community events, etc. Inevitably, you get people who are a little too tied up in your store. They start projecting onto it. It's their home away from home, their secret clubhouse, the Last Bastion Of Truth, the proof that they're a little more enlightened and intelligent than everyone else.

Therefore, they assume you agree with all their insane bullshit. Every conspiracy theorist, every Nibiru nutjob, every alien abductee and burnout (barefoot elderly to be-dreadlocked college kid) comes to your store and pours their heart out while you nod and smile and pray they're not the violent kind of unstable.

Also the management tends to be the "hates customers and the idea of selling products" type, so that's fun too. My old manager was an honest-to-god book hoarder.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

It's absolutely bizarre and I'm sure he's pricing himself out of some sales and undercutting himself in others (that uncorrected proof I paid $6 for lists on eBay for >$100). It leads to situations like the above with those Preacher volumes; I bought the cheap one and completed the collection through Amazon. At this point the comics section is almost entirely super-overpriced stuff since everyone already bought everything worth buying. If you're tracking inventory, how long until you realize that dropping prices will increase sales?

My main beef is how offended the dude got on the couple times I tried talking to him. I get that it's annoying, but I wasn't like "dude your prices are too high," I literally asked why one volume was so much higher than the rest and got a really sarcastic "it's out of print, anything else I can help you with?" and the like. Oh well :shrug:
Most people have no idea what books are worth at all. We would get people trying to sell us poo poo at insane prices because "it's rare." Luckily we had a great pricing person, but I'm not shocked the B&N guy doesn't know what he's doing. None of his managers would know enough to know he's doing it wrong.

We also bought and sold vinyl, and if you think people can't price books, records are a million times worse. No, your Beatles record isn't worth anything. Yes, it's a very famous album. That's why it isn't worth anything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I blame shows like those storage locker auction things where they see a box of books and say "man look at all these old books, I'll value the whole pile at 10-20,000 dollars" without even looking at what they are. My understanding is if a book isn't a first printing and/or very rare+signed it's generally not worth much of anything at all. Same with records - they see one that sells for a few thousand on pawn stars and next thing they do is load up their entire beat up old record collection and have it "appraised" and get pissed when they get offered like 5 bucks for the whole pile.
Books are large, heavy, delicate items that have to be kept in very particular conditions, and most are printed in large quantities and aren't built to last. Even if you have a signed first printing of Salinger or something, odds are good that its condition drops the price. And you'll spend more on climate control to keep the condition good than you'd ever make from even a rare book.

The exceptions are extremely high-profile rarities like Action Comics 1, which sell mostly because they're status symbols. Books aren't useful to rich people wanting to display wealth the way art and other collectables are.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SpaceClown posted:

dont work retail, sell drugs on a street corner

pays better
It doesn't, actually.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ups_rail posted:

So how did he file/mange inventory?
We had a small side room we believed was like eight feet by four feet that served as the boss's office. It wasn't. When we helped move stuff out at close, we learned that it was a very large room completely filled floor to ceiling with so many boxes of books they had formed walls.

We also had a basement no employee was allowed in that was worse.

I found, while cleaning, two separate plastic bowls full of pinecones. At one point the first had become lost in the store and our boss bought another.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A woman invited me to join her book club. Verbatim "We read the Baghavad Gita and the Book of Revelations. But we use paper mail, 'cause they can gently caress with your email."

A man came in once a week for months to find books on "Planet X. You know, Nibiru." He was convinced I knew what he was talking about.

An extremely burned-out 20-something with mood swings came in every Sunday for several hours just to talk. He once got into a fight with a 60-some-year-old woman who came in to sit down after work, because she was rude to him.

A woman got so upset that we were out of tickets to a local play that she broke down sobbing and refused to leave, believing the manager had done it deliberately.

We ran a small Facebook page for the store, but as a person, not a page, so our boss - a 65-year-old Brooklynite who looked like a tiny shriveled Mario and had gotten out of the construction game decades earlier because "I could tell Reagan would gently caress it up," and once posed nude for a story about the store in a local paper - could refuse friend requests from customers he disliked.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DemonDarkhorse posted:

someone set up a myspace for the store. everyone assumed it was me since i was the resident rear end in a top hat, but it wasn't. i did have the password to the account and posted things regularly, though.

customer one dropped such a large deuce in one of the men's room toilets that our manager took a polaroid picture (im not sure why the store had a polaroid camera in 2010) of it and showed it to everyone.
lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

i worked at a gas station for about a year, and i'm one of those poor bastards who always has kind of a dry monotone even when i'm trying really hard to do that faux-happy professional voice that 40 year old mothers insist on every retail slave having for some reason. anyway, occasionally i'd get complaints for having an 'attitude' from random people but its whatever. everyone gets those.

this same lady would come in every single saturday and complain about how i always have an attitude with her, to my face, for like 3 months straight. eventually i was like 'lady i talk in the same tone of voice to everyone, every day. this is just how i talk. i don't know what you want me to do'. anyway long story short i got written up because this lady called the manager 3 times a day for two weeks because i gave her 'lip'
Lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Applesnots posted:

A few months later I found him working a kroger pushing carts and I yelled Pisser! for a good twenty minutes at him.
what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We can take heart knowing he'll die in the desert somewhere, begging an armed teenage girl to "not kinkshame" before she pulls the trigger. Quentin Tarantino directs.

• Locked thread