Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Casual fans do. Conor doesn't, but he'd probably still train boxing if the fight if the fight got made instead of just sitting on his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wazzu posted:

Eh, I wouldn't look at this too seriously. They're just playing with distance and angles more than trying to punch each other, even looks like Conor is allowing the slow punches towards him to see what it will look like.

One thing that stood out to me is that when he can't kick, Conor's footwork gets exposed.
Well, not exposed, but shown as not adapted for boxing. If he could throw kicks, all the constant stepping around and putting feet close together would give him some options instead of just making him hittable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's the right marketing play, right? This far out, they can fill the date with whatever they want if the McGregor fight doesn't materialize.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

UFC tries its hardest, but nobody can quite deliver a freakshow trainwreck like boxing :allears:

Edit: Nevermind I just remembered DADA5000 vs Kimbo Slice

That was in Bellator. If you open it up to MMA...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I just want more than 10 weeks of poo poo talking promos

That's really what you're paying for with the PPV buy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

Swap Mayweather for Pacquiao. Does this fight get more competitive, or less?

More, I think. Manny's a bit smaller and can get hit coming in. I think Floyd rests on a realm above that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Starting from boxing, what's the minimum ruleset modification where Conor has a decent shot at winning?
Unlimited clinching and hitting from the clinch? This would include all manner of neck ties.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Or am I overestimating how much stand up clinch work from mma translates to boxing?

Yeah -- clinches get broken up in boxing, and Floyd has a lifetime of mastering what can be done before the ref breaks it up, as well as what can be done where the ref can't see.
He can take that 1-2 seconds and maximize his advantage.

Snowman_McK posted:

I was just remembering a quote from Holyfield where he said 'Tyson tried to box me, and that was my strength' and I didn't fully understand what else it could be for a boxer. Would anyone like to try to explain that? Or is the answer B. CTE?

Here, "tried to box" means being clean defensively and outscoring your opponent as a primary goal as opposed to trying to hurt him or wear him out.
There's different ways to approach the fight in boxing, same as MMA. Some people prefer (or evolve toward) brawling and preventing their opponent getting organized with their tactics. If you try to box, it means you're gonna stay disciplined, stay alert on defense, and economize your shots instead of willingly trading punches.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wow, Brendan Schaub's podcast has a lot more reach than I thought.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bovada also giving +130 for Floyd by decision.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Monday Bandele posted:

Can't believe is this a 12 rounder, elite prospects don't fight 12 rounders until after at least ten pro bouts. Learning how to pace a fight is crucial.

McGregor could do a passable impersonation of a boxer in a 4 rounder but beyond that he'll gas real hard and it's gonna look ugly. This has no chance of lasting the distance.
Mayweather has gotta be one of the easiest guys to dial down pace on. Dunno if he will mentally treat it like a sparring match where he beats the gently caress out if the other guy; otherwise they can just standoff at 10 punches a round.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sound posted:

getting f-f-f-hosed up in the ring will continue to get hosed up IRL as well

Kind of a specious comparison -- as far as the brain is concerned, fighting is real life.

With any ref they'd care to use for the McGregor/Mayweather fight, that would have been 3 knockdowns and done.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

WEll last time I checked floyd is a boxer so no, he's broke and owes 19 million dollars to the IRS.

The Secret means Conor's pictured this for himself and has already taken appropriate action.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Any of you boxing posters Irish? I need you to post some Irish boxers who speak better or worse Irish Gaelic than Conor's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQMGkw52-Lo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Or Conor dives in the right round to secure that bet?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Holy poo poo he is! 18W 3L! This guy fought Ken Norton??

There's a saying. Hmmm, how does it go?
Ah yes - most people don't know poo poo about boxing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

Everybody in Dublin is hilariously racist against Brazillians though.

Are there a lot of Brazilians in Ireland? Or it is coming from Conor's shittalk.
Genuinely curious.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How much can you get away with feints that would be illegal strikes if they landed? Like faking a teep or knee.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

big money big clit posted:

The guy who has spent his entire MMA career punishing dudes from the outside with his long left hand and looking for counter opportunities probably isn't going to turn into a mauler like Hatton who spend most of his career trying to get right on top of the guys he fought. Ricky Hatton has shorter arms than Frankie Edgar.

In the ring with Mayweather, Conor will be extremely tentative as soon as Floyd lands a counter. Floyd will be able to land at will after that. He won't fight like a boxer mostly because he won't be able to generate offense that Floyd needs to care about.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok so I have never seen Conner fight, only vaguely knew he was thought to be a big puncher, and assumed he would be aggressive. I...don't know poo poo about boxing?

He has really long arms in his weight class in MMA, so he half steps towards you, throws a lot of distraction kicks and feints, darts out, hand fights at punching range, generally gets you frustrated and looking to land. He starts throwing straight punches when you're just inside his range but you might not be able to land clean.
He's pretty accurate (in MMA), so once he gets his rhythm, he can really put on damage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

All of that is true and none of that tells us anything about how he will look in boxing rules.

Agreed, and maybe I should have peppered "in MMA" more in my post.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

The only chance for McGregor boils down to hoping that Floyd has aged a decade in the last 2 years.

I would put Floyd in the Bhop school of defensive genius, and going by that yardstick, would need to age him 2 decades.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Is there an equivalent in boxing to 'failure to stand from butt scoot?' I remember somebody getting DQ'd against Tyson because they would not stop clinching him. Then again, the alternative was getting punched by Mike Tyson.

Maybe ducking and intentionally getting tangled under the ropes. Or if your John Ruiz, clinching forever.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If Conor leans back and takes a punch on the shoulder, that's a moral and immediate victory for him. If.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Spy in Conor's camp sees him practicing leg kicks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Lol who wrote this?

So glad Fedor fan guy found a new star to latch onto.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The longer Conor's arms are, the more time it'll take to throw out a punch and thus to let Floyd slip it and counter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What's the longest time Floyd has gone on the offensive? I can't picture how aggressive he would stay if McGregor offered just token feints to keep Floyd off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Floyd threw 36 punches per round in the Manny fight, about 12 per minute. With an accuracy of 34%, that's 4 punches a minute.

Conor over his career has landed 5.8 significant strikes per minute, at 47% accuracy, so also about 12 thrown per minute. Significant excludes light punches from the clinch or in ground and pound.
Note that Conor has mostly stopped his opponents early, so you could easily argue that his work rate over 12 rounds would be much much lower.

This all says very little about what either's work rate or willingness to work will be in their fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Are you going by the compubox that numbers that apparently separate power punches and jabs? I'm kind of curious when (if ever) compubox stats say a jab becomes a power punch. Is every lead hand straight punch at the start of a combination a jab in these stats?

It's from Fightmetric (competitor to Compustrike), which allows for jabs to be significant strikes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

McGregor moving forward into closer range but not actually punching (I believe Mayweather has shown he's not at his best against that strategy)?

It's too much to apply boxing analysis to a fighter who has never boxed pro, much less at this level.

Oscar and Maidana might have taken a few rounds from pressing Floyd, but it is way too much to ask Conor to try that workrate-heavy strategy. Not to mention he'll have a leverage disadvantage with slightly longer arms.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

In my experience with the IRS they'll let him wait to pay but they will keep or increase his penalties

What is your experience with the IRS exactly?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol at Schaub saying that no-one else would take a fight with Conor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

"he has never turned down a challenge"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I'm not familiar with these sorts of press conferences why is everyone booing their rear end off?

The pop Dana got for his informal hype says a lot about how the UFC is perceived and the audience composition.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nifft posted:

Why wouldn't they mic them up? Seems dumb. Guess it'll be on the behind the scenes show.

Future me paid $100 to see all the talk :mad:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I appreciate Rashad crossing over to give Floyd some tips on poo poo-talking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Doesn't seem to be much animosity -- Floyd's casual dismissal of Dana's step-in says it's all business and promotion. Honestly, can't see how he would be agitated given how much of a walk in the park it'll be.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol Leonard Ellerbe breaking after "and you act 10"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

coconono posted:

When did Conor start talking like Nick Diaz?

Tew oh noine, bitch.

• Locked thread