Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
there is a 100% chance that an enormous ego is going to be completely embarrassed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I wish I could convince myself that Floyd is so shot that he couldn't easily handle Conor McGregor in a boxing match.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

Every time I watch Vasyl Lomachencko spar with TJ Dillashaw I feel like I get a glimpse of what Mayweather/McGregor would look like. TJ hits him clean like one time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxbRy_PO0vU

my god. vasyl is a savant but this is just obscene.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Exhibit 69: Bernard Hopkins' entire career.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I've deduced that in order to beat a crafty old man Conor McGregor needs to be able to hit insanely hard while being one of the best boxers on the planet. Suggest dressing GGG up in a fashionable beard. Irelike!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

[Keven voice] No need.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Paging jase1

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

What's an example of a really good boxing match to demonstrate the difference between 'punches hard' and 'good boxer'?

Would the Holyfield/Tyson fights count?

Ward / Kovalev and GGG / Jacobs. Except GGG and Kovalev are both excellent boxers too.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this will all be settled in the ring, august 26

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

youd have to be retarded to compare conor to cm punk or ronda rousey

man conor / floyd in a boxing match is way more of a mismatch than cm punk and mickey gall in mma. it's hard to verbalise how much of a competitive fight this is not.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

drat mayweather does not seem to have aged the requisite 3 decades in the last 2 years

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

I always hear the arguments that Conor is bigger or southpaw or that he hits hard… and it’s true.
But I don’t think these are his best weapons. At all.

I understand Conor might be anoying to some, but he’s undeniably also an unusually smart dude.
He’s whitty, and funny. A sniper. And that’s how he beat a lot of dudes before even fighting, and how he became a huge star.
He is well surrounded, first of all by John Kavanagh who is also an incredibly smart dude, and there is such a good positive vibe in the air around these people, but that’s another story.

Conor is supremely confident in his abilities to execute, he shines particularly in situations of extreme adversity, and always come with good game plans.
He’s a machine at seizing the moment and performing to accomplish his goals with fluidity, and no hesitation.
His focus is what gives him an incredible sense of timing.
He is a beast at mastering his fears (and negative feelings) by being inspired with incredible ideas/points of view (that the whole web wants to hear BTW).
I think these are quite nice qualities that none of his opponents seemed to see or anticipate so far. They usually just say he’s a good talker. No bro, he’s a good thinker (tinker some might say).
Let’s face it, Conor is SUCH an unusual dude psychologically.
The simple fact he got the impossible deal done is just another irrational, amazing accomplishment, and I’m not even talking about the fact it went as smooth and as fast… simply mind blowing.

Anyone remembers when Conor was in that pre-fight training session, on a basketball court?…
After training he did ONE free throw. All eyes watching, with a stupid bad technique, the ball went in… foof!
Or when he destroyed a UFC video game champion, twice in a row (with his eyes open in disbelief)?
This is the kind of guys we are talking about. A guy with massive balls who, even though everyone doubts him, seems to be able to make the most ambitious decisions towards success in the most stressful situations for anyone else, relaxed as fook.
He just owns the present time like very few people do. And because it does not make sense in a mathematical way, no one, especially in boxing, seems to take that into consideration.

The power of the mind. Extreme ambition, positivity, visualisation, mastering his obsessions… I think this is the best weapon of Conor McGregor. You can feel it when he talks, and as we heard in the MMA hour with his coach last week, everyone around him believes he is going to win. We can feel they really do.
Even Dana, who doubted him in the past, now says in interviews :"I don’t want to question him anymore".
Why??? Well he says it himself! That’s because when he talks to him a little, he starts to believe it too… even though it does not make any sense what so ever in his experienced mind.
Remember when Conor wanted to make a $3M bet with him for beating Mendez before round 3 in a late replacement fight? Dana’s a poker player, a pretty good one at that, born in Vegas and all. Even then, although at the time it looked like an impossible task, he smiled… but did not bet.

So guys, no, it does not make sense, but not everything does in fighting. And like most of you, I know Floyd is by FAR the best boxer, but the best guys are not always the ones who win, that’s why the ‘upset’ word exists.

Just like you, I don’t know who’s gonna win allright, but I do think the fact Conor is incredibly smart is the very reason everyone is so excited, and I’m sick of not hearing about it when people talk about his chances.

To me intelligence is as dangerous as solid fundamentals, and Conor is smarter that Floyd, just like Conor’s people are smarter than Floyd’s people, and just like the whole MMA world is smarter than the boxing world.

Lol who wrote this?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Floyd doing the bare minimum required to win a tedious decision unambiguously is kind of his thing. Having fan unfriendly fights made him obscenely rich, and carrying a shambling Conor 12 rounds if it means people will buy his next ppv in the hopes of seeing him physically punished for wasting their time is starting to feel probable.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jose posted:

MMA would be better if they hosed after the dominant one won their naked wrestling imo

that used to happen and was known as the 'winner takes ALL' rule but disappeared along with the one night tournament format at the advent of the modern era. 'human cuck fighting' they called it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

SunshineDanceParty posted:

These pressers are doing a good job of making me question why I ever wanted to watch two assholes make a poo poo ton of money for a poo poo fight. It's going to be funny worked before, but the whole thing isn't actually that funny. It's just forced and silly.

hashtag staywoke

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Like did they ask for someone who knows boxing but poses absolutely no risk of hurting Conor before the fight and accidentally double book Joe Cortez and Malignaggi

this is likely exactly the reason

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

I mean, I agree but...There's nobody out there for him to fight.

There is so (two divisions up or down).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

Yeah, I get what you're trying to say but really. Lomachenko just fought for free on ESPN. Him fighting Chocolatito or Rigondeaux or Garcia aren't really gonna be PPV blockbusters.

I don't think he's aiming to become a money getting record setter I think he's mostly focused on proving himself the best boxer anywhere close to his weight class.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

I'm not arguing that. My initial response was to "Lomachenko deserves a money fight" and there's nobody out there for him to fight for big money.

My bad, and you're right. It's a drat shame. But it's not like he's hurting. He was able to offer salido 750k for the rematch. I'd settle for him fighting really good guys.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ishin posted:

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/896221007740100608 This seems like a completely dickbag, if not unsurprising, move by White.

this should drive the floyd line up a little bit

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

*watches 20 years of tape on floyd mayweather jr* i've got it. the trick is to punch him without being punched. do that.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If Paulie is the third guy then it's still very much a double threat unless you have a phobia of pastebin

lol

Work Friend Keven posted:

I agree that the best boxer in the world will win, and I agree that it's hard to call what Mayweather does "boxing", but I don't think it's fair to say he's "never boxed"

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

Today is gonna be the day that you're gonna see that Irish IQ
By now you shoulda found out that it's way below the english and the jew
I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do
Around a skull

And all the rages that they feel are blinding
And all their men are drunks is what we're finding
There are many scientific truths that I would like
To say to you but I don't know how

Because maybe, phrenology is respected greatly
And after all, you're my wonderwall

Lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

they both tired in that fight, they were fighting at a fairly good pace too. if he was really suffering much more than nate then nate would have taken him apart. they were at 170 also and this fight is at 155

Worth keeping in mind that, unlike the nate fight, Conor will have to throw five punches to have a chance of landing one. Maidana needed to throw 858 punches over 36 minutes in order to sort of have an argument for beating Mayweather but not really. To contrast, McGregor threw 322 strikes over 25 minutes in order to arguably beat Nathan Diaz and gassed badly in the process.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not sticking up for Conor's gas, but 5min at a stretch is different from 3min.

Point definitely taken, but it probably won't translate to an output increase of like 150%

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Are these three minute rounds? I normally only catch heavyweights and my boxing knowledge is very dated. But I could have sworn it was two minute rounds.

Is this just me being me (crazy) or are two minute rounds a thing?

Some amateur fights are 2 minutes. Professional matches are all 3 as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mayweather / McGregor is great because it harken back to the old days where everyone watched the same thing and we could talk to whoever about it during unfortunate elevator trips or around the old water cooler. Instead of yet another bubble created by algorithms and convenience we all have something to talk about. It doesn't matter whether it's your cup of tea or not, at this point it's a social obligation to have an opinion on whether the midget or the water dancer will sit the throne. We'll find out on August 26, only on ppv.

• Locked thread