Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Irish and Irish American fans tend to tune into big boxing matches anyway, does McGregor even bring a ton of eyes into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't keep up with mma and assumed McGregor, as a champ, had at least "good" skills at the stand up clinch, and that a good clinch game by ufc standards would be above average when brought into boxing. I guess I made a mistake to think this multi belt guy didn't had big flaws in a large part of the mma skill set? Or am I overestimating how much stand up clinch work from mma translates to boxing?

I am not a big boxing guy, but the mma clinch serves a different purpose from boxing and utilizes different skills and tools that aren't available in boxing. In mma if you clinch up you have a variety of takedowns and strikes you can utilize, including knees and punches that would be illegal in boxing. There is a reason most punches in the mma clinch are described as "dirty boxing." Even the aspects that are similar in terms of controlling your opponent work differently enough, since pushing and holding someone against the cage is a different beast than trying to do so against the ropes, and that's before even getting into how the ref is going go react in each sport when you're stalling in a clinch.

So no, I wouldn't expect those skills to translate super easily, and McGregor isn't known for his high level clinch work comparatively in the first place.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

in mma terms, i think this is actually the opposite buncey

Why does John Kavanagh use a pen name to discuss boxing with the BBC

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

I can imagine a scenario where they both cum

Under the current rules though they only lose if it's involuntary

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I thought that was not actually Edmond but another, much better Armenian boxer

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh, I know it's not the same. It's just that there was so much going on in that fight, both from a narrative perspective and a boxing one. And, obviously, plenty of people were disappointed with the result. But all Bob Arum could see was how much money everyone made. It's the same attitude here. To someone who only cares about money, the fights are the same as each other. They're both going to make a lot of money.

It's a common attitude at the top of a lot of industries. There's a story of a film executive seeing the terrible numbers for the Jean Claude Van Damme vehicle 'Sudden Death' which is 'Die Hard, but at ice hockey.' He apparently yells "I don't understand, we had so many more hostages than Die Hard." Same complete lack of understanding of why people care.

Lmao sudden death owns and that owns too

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

He has really long arms in his weight class in MMA, so he half steps towards you, throws a lot of distraction kicks and feints, darts out, hand fights at punching range, generally gets you frustrated and looking to land. He starts throwing straight punches when you're just inside his range but you might not be able to land clean.
He's pretty accurate (in MMA), so once he gets his rhythm, he can really put on damage.

All of that is true and none of that tells us anything about how he will look in boxing rules.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's a drat shame all these people willing to put money on McGregor in 1:1 personal bets and yet none of them live near me

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Jose posted:

Want to gently caress and get paid lots of money for it?

Depends, do you want to see me gently caress Mark Kerr for free?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Honestly, these lovely showtime pressers are a sign of boxings death. Nobody at these drat things seem to be boxing fans on top of these fuckin irrelevant people coming up and expecting praise for owning something. Why the gently caress do these executives think anyone gives a poo poo about what they have to say?

Connor shouldn't have even addressed the racism thing. Just keep calling Floyd "boy" and let everyone's head spin. Addressing that someone is calling you racist just seems to make you automatically racist now. It didn't help he started loving black girls on stage.

Whos loving great idea was it anyway to expect two guys who get punched in the head for a living to give several speeches about a fight that hasn't happened yet. What the gently caress did anyone expect. I'm waiting for Floyd to talk about loving connors gf, and Connor to call him a friend of the family.

Probably the promoters thought it was a good idea after decades of precedence showing it is a good idea to have charismatic, divisive fighters talk up their own fights ahead of time op

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Watch a drat UFC presser, you get two guys talking to each other rather than trying to form ultron or whatever the gently caress and it's a lot more entertaining and less cringe. I'm not slamming press conferences, I'm slamming showtimes poo poo press conferences.

That seems like pretty valid criticism, but I am confused why you didn't say that instead of

quote:

Whos loving great idea was it anyway to expect two guys who get punched in the head for a living to give several speeches about a fight that hasn't happened yet.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Very sad that Conner is saying all these racist things, just getting more people interested in the fight, getting more and more news written about it, everybody talking about it. What the f*ck was he thinking? You'd think he learned his lesson when he said all those racist things about Aldo and Nate Diaz and sold millions of pay per views and got paid a fuckoad for it. Hes got TMZ sports and Deadspin calling him racist, his career is pretty much over. loving idiot.

I understand this but don't think it really excuses saying racist things, either

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

It really doesn't matter if it's racist or not because Conor never said it, the Mexican guy impersonating him who snuck in by wearing the stupidest coat he could find did.

Given his specific quotes, I think it was actually cortxbomb and not a Mexican guy

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

If I'm mcgregor my plan is to ditch trying to box and just kick box only I pull my kicks. That'd be legal right? You're not really kicking, just creating the threat that you might kick.

"The rules don't say he can't brandish a pistol and wave it about at his opponent wildly without actually shooting it!" the ref says, shrugging as he consults a massive paper tome labeled "COMPLETE AIR BUD NOVELIZATION ANTHOLOGY"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

floyd will be pissed when someone tells him who's name is on that jersey

poo poo

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

1st AD posted:

I have the same dream, and then I always end up taking them down and then continue to hit them ineffectively :smith:

That's pretty weird you dream your are Jacob Volkmann

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

My recurring underlying anxiety theme in dreams is that often I have an important task or goal but find myself completely unable to complete it. Usually this comes in the way of not being able to find the location of a person or point of interest, for example I will have to take a report down a hallway but when I get to the end of the hallway it doesn't lead to where it's supposed to and I have to find some other way to go, only for that to lead to a different wrong location.

Normally I'd say this is a silly derail and not participate but I genuinely find it more interesting than anything any of us could possibly say about the fight at this point.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

*Bruce Buffer voice* Introducing first, fighting out of the red corner: He has no style, he has no grace, this fighter has a funny face

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

That was real bad lookin dirty boxing man

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

When posters on the Something Awful forums call your intellectual ability into question

I don't know who this boxer paulie guy is but I liked him in Beyond Thunderdome

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I just think the best boxer in the world will beat the guy who has never boxed, but I understand statistics help some people relate to the outside world better

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

If only we had a recent case study where a dude who worked at a high level in an activity that was superficially related to a combat sport took a fight in that sport after taking a large amount of time off to do nothing but train at a big gym.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I like all these stats but you aren't taking into account status effects, if conor comes into the fight poisoned or burned then his catch rate is significantly higher, not to mention that both of those status conditions will gradually lower hp over time and affect his other stats like attack and defense

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I'm not reading fifty-one pages.

Does anyone actually, genuinely believe Conor will win a decision or that Mayweather will actually knock someone out?

My personal guess is Conor can only take it in the first four. But I've lost four hundo to date betting against Conor so...yeah let's hope that happens. .

Over half of Floyd's wins are knockouts or tkos.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Over half of Floyd's fights being knockouts in loving BOXING means nothing. Who, other than Hatton, has he crushed this decade? I know there is one other guy but Mayweather isn't exactly Hendo.

I know this from personal experience and genetic tests done at hospital - apparently people with blue eyes, red hair, and predominately Celtic (Irish/Scottish) genes have a studied high tolerance to pain. If Conor quits it will be because of gas, not fear of the boxing God turtle.

He crushed the collective spirit of the entire filipino people so bad duterte started murdering people who smoke weed

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Are there even one billion occupied homes on earth?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

nah there's 6 billion homeless people out there.

It might be easy to assume that all seven billion people also live alone, but that could be confirmation bias

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I used this question last time the ufc thread devolved into deeply unenjoyable derail discourse so perhaps it will work again here: what is your favorite song from Purple Rain? Willie-dee do not interact

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

The Russians aren't the only ones in the universe running disinformation campaigns. When the promoters see that too much money or interest is on one or other of these mooks, they activate their network to begin pumping up the other. Mayweather is the greatest boxer of all time and MacGregor doesn't stand a chance (so why bother watching)? Cue the vids of MacGregor training 24/7 and Mayweather eating burgers. MacGregor could pull this off? Here comes the noodle-arm vids and shitastic sparring. Yin and Yang...one side propped up as needed to maintain the perfect balance of interest.

Now, you might say, what the gently caress, that's some tin-foil conspiracy bullshit, but you can't know for sure that it is, which is the beauty of it and why it's so effective.

It also points to the fact that this entire event is a complete fraud; there's no intention of providing a legit fight. So I'm laughing my loving rear end off at the peeps throwing $100 to be willingly defrauded and who are -- of their own free will -- camping out in a bar for five hours beforehand and who will have five days of wing-shits afterwards. If you're going to watch, it's your moral obligation to locate an online stream of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8Ceu6Mwjs

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Well the whole reason the fight is happening is so Conor can make lots of money, and it has been repeatedly revealed in this thread that Floyd has a stip in the contract where if Conor fouls he forfeits most of his purse, which would mean he does not make lots of money, so I would say yes he would care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

To save money I am going to astral project into the arena. There should be plenty of vacant seats due to the extreme price of tickets so I am not too worried about obstructing anyone's third-eye view or giving anyone an ethereal chill or anything, so this seems like a good idea. Anyway, how do I go about doing it? Can I drink that weird fermented tea with like alien eggs floating in it that costs $7 in the natural foods section or can I just use Lipton? Do I need to avoid eye contact with any shadow spirits I see on the way and will I need to answer any riddles or questions re: the meaning of life before I can do it? What type of music and incense should I best use?

Thanks guys, please serious answerrs only

• Locked thread