Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

At the small cost of the legitimacy of the lightweight division and actual lightweight title fights.

Those two things are of immense benefit to Conor. I'm asking about the benefit to the sport. Because PPV buys outside of him and Ronda are down and the title picture in half the divisions is either hosed or dire.

when you really think about it, sport is just athletes competing for the entertainment of the general public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

JaySB posted:

Interesting take and really the only thing that could make you think Conor can beat Floyd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcAPwog7Qc

That guy is talking out of his rear end

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

The Dave posted:

I wonder how likely it is that Conor throws an illegal strike? Like isn't he going to be fighting off a lot of muscle memory to stay in the rules?

0 i should think. hes still an experienced and skilled pro fighter so you can expect him to be mentally present as long as hes conscious. i doubt he will be in there just fighting, he'll just probably be outclassed in every aspect by floyd mayweather since its a boxing match

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

that guy is care mad. he should take a chill pill

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't keep up with mma and assumed McGregor, as a champ, had at least "good" skills at the stand up clinch, and that a good clinch game by ufc standards would be above average when brought into boxing. I guess I made a mistake to think this multi belt guy didn't had big flaws in a large part of the mma skill set? Or am I overestimating how much stand up clinch work from mma translates to boxing?

he probably trains it as much as anyone else. its not a big feature of his fighting style though. theres 10 thousand ways to win an mma fight, its not possible to be better than all of your potential opponents at all of them. its more efficient to develop ways to protect your flaws from being exploited instead

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Kills the greatest featherweight of all time in 13 seconds: "Garbage"
Knocks the gently caress out of the Lightweight champion while barely being touched: "LOL this guy can't even throw a punch"
Gets choked out by Nate Diaz: "Holy gently caress, Conor might just be legit..."

cant win them all

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
round 1: a minute of footwork, then they get right into it .. mayweather is probably the more passive of the two
round 2: in the clinch, both of them reach for the others shorts, exposing their penis and balls for the world to see. mayweather still biding his time
round 3: they have gay sex with eachother

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

Can anyone imagine a scenario where they both lose cause that's what I'm hoping for

I can imagine a scenario where they both cum

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
5 reasons I would beat floyd mayweather

1 Im going to train very hard to have the strongest muscles possible. ill also try to learn as much as i possibly can about fighting so that i can defeat my opponent
3 i believe in myself. additionally i understand the power of friendship and teamwork
4 goji berry
5 i want tons of money. i want to accumulate immense sums of money. i also want lots of valuable gems

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
nobody wants tons of iridescent gems, in every colour and hue you could possibly conceive of, more than conor mcgregor. he may even want them more than his opponent floyd mayweather. i think he does, i think he really wants gemstones more than any other fighter alive. they say the sly hawk hides its talons but floyd mayweather has already shown his by collecting vast amounts of money and becoming extraordinarily wealthy. i think he doesnt have the same level of hunger for extremely valuable gems that he perhaps used to in the past and that will be his downfall

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
anyone know mcgregor irl ? i bet all of the money i own on him winning so i want him to read this ancient scroll containing the mystic arts of the orient http://i.imgur.com/2I35cgZ.jpg

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

that reminds me of that scene in enter the dragon. playing cards ...... dont fight back

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

This is a deeply cynical event that was meticulously orchestrated by a handful of greedy capitalists for the sole purpose of lining their own pockets, knowing full well the deep dissatisfaction every fan will have after the final bell rings and the profound long-term damage they could do to their respective sports. It does nothing beneficial for anything or anyone but them. It's playing to people's baser instincts with insider knowledge, the knowledge that we just can't help ourselves. We've seen this game countless times before. We know it's rigged against us, but we keep playing it anyway.

Anyway, yeah, I'll probably buy it.

its true that the people involved want to make money from it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Shankel Magnus posted:

So is there a way to bet on the outcome being shenanigans? Like I'm expecting in the second round to see Connor sneak in a knee to the groin, the ref to miss it, Roger Mayweather to rush the ring, then both entourages rush the ring and after all is settled Max Kellerman will enter the ring to sell the rematch.

most betting sites have odds for all kinds of insane outcomes. you can probably bet on how many protuding nose hairs mayweather shows up to the ring with if you want

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Boxings old guard is dying. Floyd, manny... young blood coming

floyd and manny are the young blood

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jose posted:

MMA would be better if they hosed after the dominant one won their naked wrestling imo

true

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Whats the point of arguing about which sport that you dont compete in is the most physically demanding. dont you all at least have something a little more personal to be smug about, like your deadlift prs or whatever ?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

Outside of Olympic boxing, combat sports are not legitimate sport. It's sports entertainment, every single fight event is attempting to print money.

thats what sport should be. thankfully thats what it is, all of them. even that one where they run 20 miles on skis

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Forceholy posted:

You guys remember when mentioning :filez: was a banable offense?

i imagine anyone who could remember something like that has probably since passed away or succumbed to dementia

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

threeagainstfour posted:

He called mayweather a Malteser with eyeballs months ago.

Its true that his head does look like a malteaser

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
bald, brown, sphere shaped no matter what angle you look at from ... thats a malteaser with eyeballs if ive ever seen one. although i will concede that i havent

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
lol

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
probably .. theyre both just talking poo poo though. they already decided on the terms

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

QQ more george orwell

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
A bit of racism never hurt anybody

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

The amount gross fucks defending casual racism in this thread is not surprising.

When has racism ever hurt anybody?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

...and the pitch! posted:

Maybe when black people own Irish slaves in the US for a few hundred years we can call it even but until then Conor would have to be a complete idiot to not understand the racial implications of using the word boy.

im sure hes as racist as the next guy but it doesnt have that kind of connotation in the uk and ireland or probably anywhere else in the world outside of america for that matter

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I think it does but I'm not prepared to do any research.

its long since fell out of use it ever was in use, black and indian/turkish kids etc in my schools used to get all kinds of racist stuff said to them but never boy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Well, that's one anecdote heard.

edit: sorry to be snarky. I'm a bit wound up.

well you say that but youre the one telling people what things are like in the UK but you dont even know yourself if its true. no hard feelings though, im sure its something close to your heart

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

Conor's from Ireland so he's allowed to say racially insensitive USA words like "Boy" or "Ebonics" but isn't allowed to say euro things that we don't care about like "Gollywog" or "Orangeman"

race sure is complicated ..

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

Conor's so sweaty up there he actually looks kind of sick.

thats how people generally look on tv unless they have specific makeup. epically shiny i mean. probably cos of the bright lights

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

What loving material goes into a watch to make it worth 2 million dollars? What's gold/platinum running for now?

they go for 1 million dollars each so a watch with both of them in would cost approximately 2 million dollars

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
QQ more

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

Who is everyone's favourite toronto maple leaf

i forgot which tree its on and itll take too long for me to find it again

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hmm, i suppose you're right. It being fake made up to discredit Conor is more likely than a guy with no boxing experience getting hurt in camp, a thing guy that happens even to experienced boxers.

that actually does sound more likely to me

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
he should have picked a request that his security guards would have actually learned the choreography for during their training like the ginyu force pose

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Why did Floyd yell 'Form Voltron' and what did that achieve.

who knows .. its from an old cartoon, the heroes say form voltron and then they all transform into like a robot dog or something like that

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Yea if you're about to roll with a dude wearing super tight shorty shorts and no cup it's p gay.

sounds like fun. they dont really have submission holds and stuff in boxing though so i think his sparring partners wont have anything to worry about as far as accidentally touching his dick and balls goes

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

My feeling is it's pretty much just a curiosity and the "press tour" only served to expose it as the stunt it is. All fine and good, but none of the boxing/mma fans I personally know are dropping $100 to find out "lol what would happen if..."

Seriously, is anyone here gonna buy this?

everyone on planet earth is going to buy and watch it. horses will watch this. by that i mean actual horses as in the animal. they will be chewing the same mouthful of hay suiper slow for 3 hours and crowding around their stable masters window so they can see his tv, for he will also be watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nierbo posted:

My boss bet me a lunch that conor would win. KO in the third he reckons. So where should I go for my free lunch?

Burger King

• Locked thread