Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can't believe you guys already filled 12 pages here but wont bother to post in our designated boxing thread

shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Isn't McGregor's entire net worth less than Mayweather makes in one fight?

Like I'm pretty sure Floyd is making more money as a promoter than McGregor does as a fighter

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rigel posted:

This fight isn't going to be much of a boxing match, its a freakshow.

Well yeah, hence my disappointment that this thread is so much more popular than the one for actual boxing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

#6: Seismic activity can strike at any time.

We all know that Vegas is near enough to the San Andreas fault to where, if the Big One were ever to occur, surely some of the force of the aftershock would be felt as far away as Nevada. Now, Mayweather is renowned for his footwork and crafty movement, but supposing such an earthquake were to hit right as the fight was taking place. At that moment, who's to say Mayweather might not lose his footing, and fall face first into a Conor McGregor right hand? At that point it would be an early night for Mayweather. I'm not saying this event is likely, but it's certainly a factor to keep in mind for the fight, and one that any savvy bettor will take into account going into August 26th.

#7: McGregor's fans are very loud.

Consider the deafening roar of eighty million Irishmen in one room. What man, all-time-great boxer or not, wouldn't be intimidated and thrown off his mental game by such a ruckus? Everyone knows that 90% of outside boxing depends on having a stable balance, but that delicate balance could be thrown off by crowds of passionate McGregor fans assaulting Mayweather's inner ear. Conor McGregor, of course, is well used to the incredible din of his fans, and has even used it to great effect in his MMA career. They don't call him "Holy Noise God" for nothing. Speaking of...

#8: Floyd is a sinner who has divine retribution coming.

Let's face it: God exists. He's a wrathful God. And He does not appreciate men who abuse women, in any way shape or fashion. There can be no doubt in anyone's mind that Floyd Mayweather is on His naughty list, but if that's the case then why wait so long to provide holy punishment against the arrogant Floyd? The answer is simple: God is making sure Floyd Mayweather faces the biggest fall possible. After all, what could possibly be a worse fate than making a nine-figure payday in a fight you then go on to publicly lose? It would be the end of Floyd Mayweather's career and a truly unjust man would finally get the ending to his career he deserves. If you don't think God could do it, just remind yourself of the very real possibility of earthquakes.

#9: North Korea tensions at an all time high.

If you've been following Floyd Mayweather for several decades, as I have, then you already know how important of an issue global stability is to the boxing superstar. Floyd Mayweather infamously retired back in 2007 in protest of George W. Bush's mishandling of the Iraq War and destabilization of the Middle East. With North Korean tensions higher than they've ever been, it's unquestionable that Mayweather will go into the fight preoccupied and distracted. Conor McGregor meanwhile thrives on international conflict, and has even said numerous times that thinking about war makes him better at punching.

#10. McGregor could bring a gun.

Hear me out on this one. Yes, this fight is sanctioned according to boxing rules. Yes, McGregor will surely be checked several times over by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for any signs of an unfair competitive advantage. And yes, it would be terribly unsportsmanlike for McGregor to bring a loaded weapon to a sporting event. But, and this is some real talk here folks, this is a fight more than anything else, and in a fight you do whatever you need to do to win. Just last week a notable boxer won his fight with an illegal punch that was missed by the referee. McGregor would be well-advised to take lessons of that fight, and devise a game plan where he can get off an illegal bullet without the ref catching him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

That post is perfect for boxing fans, its extremely long and uninteresting.

There's only 5 rounds, so you'd think the mma guys would get something out of it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"boxing has too much wrestling, which is boring"
-mma fans for some reason????

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Looks like Badou Jack and Gervonta Davis will be on the undercard, fighting Nathan Cleverly and Tevin Farmer respectively. These guys are both promoted by Mayweather so this this isn't too surprising, but these are both pretty decent fights that will hopefully bring some exposure to rising fighters.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I know this is just a thread for laughs, but both of those are solid fights.

Gervonta Davis is Mayweather's prodigy, and just captured two titles with quick knockouts. He's got serious star potential and is worth keeping an eye on.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Some guy at work is convinced McG will win. I could probably get him to bet on it, but he's kind of dumb so idk if its ethical.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man I think I've really been underestimating the chance of Floyd losing by DQ

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

coconono posted:

if he's dumb and rich: totally ethical, encouraged.
if he's dumb and poor: completely unethical, don't do it.

We're all poor v0v

I hate betting anyway so I'm not gonna

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Conor's way better than Ricky "hat on" at boxing.

It's Fatton, how do you gently caress up giving Ricky Hatton an insulting nickname?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

its simple really, nobody has ever hit floyd before, so when conor hits him he wont be ready

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

A round in boxing is whatever the timekeeper wants it to be. The time keeper holds a stopwatch and rings the bell whenever. The first professional fight i saw live the timekeeper range the bell a minute early in the first round. boxing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

in a twist of fate, mayweather fouls and then drops his hands to apologize and mayweather clocks him, says "protect yourself at all times"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Was a typo, but you're right, its better that way.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

See I was originally imagining a reversal of that, but by saying Mayweather twice it seems like Mayweather is dropping his own hands but somehow still suckering Conor, something I'm sure could happen for real.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You should see Floyd work the bags, he puts in like half the effort.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys, Manny Pacquiao is fighting on ESPN tonight against in a more competitive match than Mayweather/McGregor

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Floyd -650, Conor +425
Pac -600, Horn +400

Not nearly as many dumb aussies as there are dumb mma fans i guess

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jeff Horn should fight McGregor imo

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Neither I nor anyone else actually watches boxing, but did Jeremy Horn actually win or was it just a bad decision?

It was a pretty shockingly bad decision

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah if Conor just randomly gets tired he'll probably lose. Hope he manages his energy better.

He's pretty young, should be fine

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

3 to 4 million seems plausible unfortunately

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

conor will be tired out because in mma you can just lie down on the ground whenever you want

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

how can boxing be as hard as mma they get 11 breaks between rounds instead of 4

lazy fucks!!!!

Boxing is just overall more taxing and difficult. Just all around better and more interesting too, but I guess that isn't relevant to the question.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Boxing isn't remotely more taxing or difficult than full on MMA. That's just plain silly to even think.

Yes boxing has for more technically refined striking to fit inside it's restrictive ruleset. MMA striking is markedly different because there are flat out more things to worry about than just someone's hands.

Also actually grappling with someone is one of the most physically exhausting things you can do period, let alone punching and kicking at the same time.

Hmm... IDK... standing up and getting hit in the head for 45 minutes vs lying down and hugging somebody. Both pretty tiring I guess? I usually get sleepy when I'm cuddling, so I see where you're coming from.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I predict McGregor will get hit one time and be like "ahh... i guess I've never truly been hit before... this sucks" and then quit.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

How do you think Mayweather and McGregor would do in 3v3 basketball?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Floyd does this every other year so it's not a new thing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

quote:

Big3 co-founder Jeff Kwatinetz said in a press release on Tuesday that the agreement was a “generous offer that we could not refuse”.

Ice Cube still making money

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There are actually a lot of good fights queued for this summer that will go unwatched, but they'll be good.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

To Conor's credit, Floyd is black, so it's actually cool to say stuff like that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Has somebody called Conor an angry leprechaun yet? That's basically like the Irish n word.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I found the script for the next presser. Conor jumps and screams the n word for 5 minutes. Floyd cashes his 100mil check and pays his taxes.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

What is the lightest boxing glove that's made? When Floyd brags about going down to 4oz gloves -- is there even such a thing in boxing? I feel like MMA gloves only get down to 4oz cuz they have so much less wrapping around the fingers.
I guess what I'm getting at is, when Floyd says "4oz gloves," does he want the audience to think MMA gloves?

Yes.

I mean, the fight already has the terms, so floyd is just clowning about how he definitely do an MMA fight for a few laughs.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Remember that time some Australian guy called Muhammad Ali boy? Funny stuff. Truly Mayweather is the Ali of our generation.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jose posted:

probably related to all the mma posters since the normal boxing threads are really good

Yeah both of the people who regularly post in the boxing threads are pretty good so yeah, probably the MMA folks or more likely, the people who never watch combat sports but we're lured in by the circus

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TBH an endless thread arguing about casual racism is probably better than the actual fight thread and actual fight will be. Maybe we can get some judges in here to score the argument or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Has Floyd been doing the lame HARD WORK HARD WORK HARD WORK YEAHHHHHH thing his whole career

Basically

• Locked thread