Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is Conor ever going to defend his UFC titles

No and I'm stunned anybody thought he would after he already had to forfeit one belt specifically for never defending it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/donfryefighter/status/874061715633303552

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There's nothing that would be pretty about a guy who was just in a 2.5-month coma fighting 7-10 months later

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rigel posted:

Yes. If Kevin Iole says something, then it is true. The man is arguably the single most credible and respected journalist for both Boxing and MMA in the world. Thats probably the reason why Mayweather's team decided to give him the scoop.

Also Conor said a big announcement's coming this week. Wouldn't be shocked if his statement on the fight is tonight or Friday

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 14, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

okay this was worth it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Iole posted:

It is a stunning development given that Mayweather, the greatest boxer of his era, had said he was retired after compiling a 49-0 pro record from 1996 through 2015. But with a fight which could pay each man in excess of $100 million, he reconsidered.

uh welp :lol: at anyone who thinks Conor's ever setting foot in the UFC again if he's legit making $100 mil off this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dangersim posted:

I have no words

It's okay, you weren't the only one who thought this never had a chance of happening

But I'm so glad it is

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

It'd be 49-1 if he loses. This would be Floyd's 50th fight which is just one more reason for him to take it seriously.

Also 50-0 beats Marciano's record, which many thought would never be done

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lionel Richie posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd never stopped training tbh, it seems like his entire life is just training and gambling

Also this fight had been talked about since a few months after he retired, most of the talk coming from him and his camp

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

No doubt Floyd will win, but he's not doing it by knockout is he? Conor has some chin on him and Floyd has brittle hands doesn't he?

Conor always gasses out around 3 rounds. Anything from round 6 on is a crapshoot and I wouldn't be shocked if Floyd was able to KO him. He usually coasts his way to decision wins but has KO power (26 out of 49, little over half his fights/wins are stoppages). I'd say it all depends on how much of an exclamation point he wants on this 50th win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

It's actually insanely funny that millions of people who casually follow boxing were crazy disappointed with the Manny fight and Floyd's performance in it, and now Floyd is back after two years to charge 100 dollars to watch him fight a guy with no professional boxing fights and apparently people are beyond hyped to fork the cash over again.

"A fool and his money are soon parted" is a phrase that will always be true, no matter when or how it's said

• Locked thread