Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For those talking about the Warriors cap situation. Durant is most likely going to opt out of his contract, but that doesn't mean he is leaving. Curry likely will sign his contract last, but its unlikely he's leaving too. So there may be websites that will speculate on "Drama" but ignore it.

This CBS article is pretty good explaining the various scenarios Durant is back. It may be off by a million here or there, but I think the math mostly checks out:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/after-new-cba-heres-what-has-to-happen-for-warriors-to-keep-durant-and-curry/

In Short:

No matter what happens to Durant, they will probably lose Zaza and McGee, unless those guys take minimums again (unlikely now that each already have a ring.

If Durant takes every dollar he can they probably lose Iggy and Livingston (unless those guys take minimum deals). Ian Clark would have massive leverage since they won't have to give up his bird rights. So you might see Ian Clark get $15 million and Iggy signing for less somewhere else.

If Durant takes an almost max contract (6 million or so under) for 1 year they can resign Iggy and Livingston. Both those guys have leverage to get fat deals and if Durant is leaving money on the table those guys can turn their bird rights into big deals like JR, TT and Shumpert did. Durant then uses his early bird rights to take a true max deal in 2018. This means the Warriors will be in tax hell really quickly. I think this is the most likely scenario.

If Durant just opts in or signs a new, short deal on a bigger discount then the Warriors can bring back Iggy, Livingston and Clark and maybe even make another, smaller move this summer.

As someone who spent his youth playing computer games and D&D arbitrary rules on cap is so my poo poo. Thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Giannis and kawhi were both 15
Jokic was in the second round
Jimmy Butler was late 20s
Gobert was late 20s
The talent is always there teams just have to identify who is it and develop it (which is hard)

In some fairness, a lot of it is luck. Golden State whiffed during that run too, but they hit pretty big on guys. Also, Curry's ankles magically healing and even Bogut able to stay relatively healthy has been really important during this 3 year run. The cap jump was what got Durant, pretty simple. Next time there is a jump people will probably forget this and argue against cap smoothing again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Actually, Lockback, I think if you look into you'll find that every move by Golden State was deliberate. Joe Lacob has it all under control. The man is a genius and the team is light years ahead because of their adoption of unique disruptive strategies.

Joe Lacob gave Mark Jackson strict orders not to faith heal Curry's ankles until the contract and draft picks were all behind them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

his defensive issues are also massively oversold and probably should have far more of the offense running through elbow post ups from him than anything kyrie does. not really a knock on kyrie its just they can and should do more cool offball poo poo with klove initiating the offense cause hes such a threat there

My arguments with Gendo from 2008 are finally vindicated.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OzFactor posted:

Okay, now that that's all over, let's talk about important stuff: who wants Carmelo Anthony? I mean that as a serious topic of conversation. Where does he fit? I honestly can't figure out where he can go or in what situation he would actually be a positive for a team. Is there any team that a) can take him that b) would actually need him? A Griffin-less Clippers team?

What's his contract going to be? Are any teams going to offer a max? Seems unlikely. If he goes under it, teams with a need at SF/PF would fit. Timberwolves, Atlanta, Pacers?, 76ers if they want to get weird, Brooklyn because gently caress it, Utah to replace Hayward.....

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The SituAsian posted:

Is it better for the Celtics to go for it now by signing Hayward and maybe adding Jimmy or try to build around Fultz, Jaylen Brown and the 2018 pick?

I think they are going to try to do both and gently caress up. They'll sign guys who will make it hard for their draft picks to develop but not trade those picks to step up to the next level.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah? I think they won't. And your team will lose 990 games next year as penance for this post.

Well that's the Timberwolves so I look forward to the bold improvement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The NBA's next generation is coming along nicely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

fultz is going to be a rookie, he will not move the needle on the celtics vs the cavs even a tiny bit for several years. rookies are always bad

19 year old Rookie PGs especially. You can sometimes find bigs that can contribute, or defensive, hustle wings. Fultz will probably be a contributor by the end of next season but I don't think he will be a focal point or anything.

Hayward would make a real big difference though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't think Fultz is the same kind of prospect Wall and Kyrie were. That's not a strike against Fultz, but those guys would probably go ahead of Fultz if there were in this draft class.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Which players from the 2014 draft do y'all think are getting extensions this offseason

Wiggins is the only I see guaranteed to get a max extension. Embiid maybe? Would the Sixers really give a max extension to a guy who has only played 31 games?

With Parker and LaVine's unfortunate injuries, I see them not signing extensions unless they take a big discount from their teams. There's a bunch of other guys I can see getting extensions (Gordon, Hood, Nurkic) but not for the max.

And it's still early but boy that "one of the deepest and most hyped draft classes in recent years" thing is not looking very accurate thus far

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NBA_draft

Wiggins, LaVine, Embiid, Jokic are all getting max extensions. The Rookie Max is not as much as the veteran max. For these teams its kind of a no-brainer, and if they don't another team will try to steal them away.

Bradley Beal and Harrison Barnes got max contracts last year, to set expectations. Crabbe got almost a max.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Beal and Barnes didn't get max contracts in the summer though, they got 'em after the end of their 4th year. I was talking about extensions that will get done by this October. Idk if it's such a sure thing for guys with injury concerns like LaVine and Embiid, especially if their teams want to use cap space next summer

Oh, that's what I thought you meant. Yeah for early extensions probably Wiggins only, but the rest of those guys are in line for a max after this year. Some guys take early extensions that are not maxes too, so its up to the front office.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You really could do this kind of stuff with any team in the league, whether or not there is any truth to it. There are always going to be opinions, and you never hear when a guy has a bad opinion and is overruled. Draymond Green was a 6'6 PF. It is not a stretch at all to pass up on him, in fact since he was drafted in the 2nd round every team in the league passed on him!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/875095302172282885

What I'm gathering here is that Steve Nash playing for D'Antoni was the worst defender of all time.

small fix

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I laughed at the Love back to Minnesota trade, but it honestly might make the most sense out of the other targets they mentioned (Denver, Phoenix)

What would MN send back?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

verbal enema posted:

KD said Kyrie is better than AI

y/n?

If you want to win 50 games with a poo poo roster >> AI
If you want a piece to a championship roster >> Kyrie

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

During the regular season Kyrie and Love played fine without Lebron around. They look to be around +3.6, which is a little better than the Cavaliers were overall.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I kind of hope whatever the Celtics do they leave the door open for the possibility of landing Durant next offseason assuming he does a 1yr extension this year. This is probably dumb but I don't care.

Honestly, its probably a really good idea. Low probability of happening but him or Lebron are probably the only route to a championship in the next 3 years. I don't 100% believe that but its probably close enough to true.

If you get Hayward and plan on resigning IT you won't be able to afford Durant (unless you also offload Horford I guess). Marcus Smart is also supposed to get paid that offseason.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

2011 Mavs had injury issues during the regular season that were mostly resolved by the end of the year (RIP Caron Butler). SRS is going to make them look way worse than that Finals team actually was.

Offhand, though, I don't remember if there are any Jordan opponents that would be in a similar bucket.

Paul Zuvella posted:

In general, people treating making the finals and losing like it's somehow worse than not making the finals at all is maybe the most puzzling thing about sports ever.

Yeah, completely agree.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He'll happily take 20 mil/yr instead of the full 25 million.

Really, the least you can do for a super team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ex post facho posted:

i guess i'd start by reforming the draft lottery system and drastically reworking salary caps

Neither of these things had all that much to do with the Warriors. They didn't win lotteries and they were pretty average in terms of total team salary (#7, but less than 7% higher than the #15 team).

ex post facho posted:

yea i agree. so do you think the next 5 finals winners will be warriors warriors warriors warriors cavs, or warriors cavs warriors warriors cavs

This is retrospective. If this is such a slam dunk go take out a home loan and bet on it. Lots of people weren't giving Cleveland a chance in hell until they won and there are people on this board who think the Warriors would have had trouble getting past the Spurs if not for an injury. If that injury happened to Durant instead of Kawhi I am pretty sure this Finals would have looked WAYY different.

3 years ago the Warriors were outside of the top-5 in Finals odds. 3 years from now there is no telling what things will look like.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ex post facho posted:

the nba could eliminate:

The Warriors would absolutely have been on that list 5 years ago. No way you would have included OKC as early as last year. You don't list the Clippers on there because of the recency bias. This list would be way different every year, which means it makes sense to have more teams to go through these cycles.

Plus, if you had less teams, you'd have less opportunities for guys to develop and end up with less talent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fantastic. Its been a good off-season so far.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I think Embiid by now Wolves got a gazelle at that he's at "This one arm. That would be more minutes."

Embiid only has one arm and is signing with the Wolves. I'm down.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

lmao.

C's gonna trade down to 3, and then and trade with the Bulls for Jimmy Butler

Bank on it.

If they actually do this to go for a "Win Now" mode then this is a very good trade. It leaves them with extra picks to fill out the team.

If they want to build to win in 4 years, I don't think they'll be in a position to have a chance to draft a guy like Fultz again. (This is a good post to look at again in 4 years).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Butler by a mile. Longer contract in a team friendly deal.

By 1 year.

PG would give them someone who can play the 3 or the 4, which I think the Celtics would need more with Hayward.

Either would be a pretty amazing team though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GhostOfMagellan posted:

So if the Celtics somehow finally, truly get Jimmy Buckets this time, Hayward probably doesn't sign with them correct?

Maybe tomorrow I can run the possibilities, but I think if Boston drafts someone at 3, signs them, waits 30 days, they can sign Hayward first and send the #3 contract and Amir Johnson or Jerebko and they can make the trade work after signing Hayward with space.

I think its very likely Boston could field a Horford/Hayward/Crowder/Butler/IT lineup and still have a pretty good bench. They are going to be in tax hell after next year though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

attackmole posted:

So how do you split up minutes between Saric and Simmons? Do you run Saric off the bench as a sparkplug or can one of them slide to SF? Neither seems ideal to me.

There will be enough minutes for both of them. You can play them both at the F spot against teams that don't have SF who are major threats and you can even go small with no center at other times. I'd probably plan on bringing Saric off the bench, but you can easily find 30 minutes for him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't think this is as bad for Boston as you all are making it out to be. They get a prospect who could very well be better than Fultz at a position they care about as they are actually a contending team. Fultz is a very good prospect, but by the reaction on this board I would have thought he was Anthony Davis or even KAT.

I would say the difference between #1 and #3 is probably a lottery pick, and they have an incredible one with the Lakers chance and the Kings are probably not going to be much better than a 35 win team in 2 years so that's a pretty solid consolation prize. All the while it kicks the can a bit for the Celtics who are probably better off with the intangible draft pick than a player for trade purposes.

As for the 76ers, this is the right consolidation, Hail Hinkie.

I think this is one of those "Trade works well for both teams".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

George may matchup slightly better against GSW than Love, but then Cleveland has no one to punish teams that go small down low, and I think that's just a new problem for them. Take into account that it will probably take some time for PG to integrate into the team and I am not sure this is all that great of a deal.

If you can get PG and somehow keep Lebron, Love, and Kyrie do it in a heartbeat. Even if it effectively means you only get 1 season of that team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If Boston does add Hayward and/or Butler I don't think you can just assume Cleveland will be in the Finals. The ground between those teams is pretty likely to close, especially if Boston starts making trades. Love matches up well against that Boston team, arm bars not withstanding.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think they would throw money at Hayward because he would draw fans himself, and it would take the sting out of losing PG.

So long, PG. You were awesome and I hope you go help a team beat the Warriors!

Not sure why Hayward would take a paycut to leave a somewhat promising Utah team to go play for an awful Indiana team with no PG. And if Indiana loses PG, they should be gunning for picks not trying to chase a 30 win season with Hayward.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Last year I did a FA guessing game contest and we were all very bad.

Here is the thread again for this year's contest: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824239

Awesome, these are fun

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Did the Wolves really reject Lavine + #5 for Jimmy Butler, or was that never confirmed?

Yeah, pretty likely, the initial offer was Rubio + #5 and that was the supposed counter. There may have been another future pick from the Wolves thrown in too, they weren't at the final negotiations. Keep in mind, Butler took a bit of a step back in 2016 and battled some injuries that sorta made him look like he'd be more like a borderline all-star rather than the near-MVP candidate he was in 2017. The Timberwolves also know they will have room to sign a big-time FA at some point and not give up anything, but if they signed Butler they lose that ability.

I mean, I'm giving some of the mitigating factors just to tell the whole story, not as an excuse. Myself and numerous others were trying to will Thibs to slam the "ACCEPT TRADE PROPOSAL" button on the GMs real-life version of the 2K trade screen if this was true.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also with those protections, the trade is absolutely terrible for the Celtics and I cannot believe they made it.

In exchange for moving down 2 spots Celtics get a future #1 that is almost certainly going to be a top-5 pick (how those protections work I find it really hard to expect it to go lower). That seems like a pretty market-value deal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Here's what the trade would have meant since 2008 (I started after the Oden/Durant draft because I feel like that's a good demarcation). Let's assume they get the Lakers pick at #5 since that seems like a likely midpoint of value.

2008: Give up Derrick Rose for OJ Mayo and Rubio (or the chance to draft Steph Curry) :thumbsup:
2009: Give up Blake for Harden and DeMarcus Cousins :thurman:
2010: Give up Wall for Derrick Favors and Valencunas (ouch) :(
2011: Give up Irving for Kanter and Thomas Robinson (another ouch) :(
2012: Give up Anthony Davis for Beal and Alex Len :(
2013: Give up Bennet (lol) or I guess you could have drafted Noel for Porter and Dante Exum. There are no winners here.
2014: Give up Wiggins for Embiid and Heronja. Still early on this one.

So really you lose out if you think the #1 is a great prospect (Wall, Irving, Davis) and you do well if you don't think the #1 is great. And even if the #1 is a huge prospect like Blake you still might come out ahead.

Seems like a decent deal to me that probably helps both sides.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

if you're trying to trade for Jimmy Butler, Brooklyn 2018 + Sacramento 2019 looks way better than Brookyln 2018 + maybe-the-lakers-2018-but-more-likely-the-2019-kings-unless-we're-unlucky-and-then-the-picks-bad

I dunno, being able to give a team 2 swings at a top-5 pick instead of just 1 would look pretty good if you want to guarantee a return on moving your superstar.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I have no idea what would make sense right now. I assume MN won't give up KAT, Wiggins and LaVine but I am not sure what makes sense beyond that.

Boston should be able to beat them pants off any deal if that is what Boston wants to do.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kevin Love come back home

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Fisherman's Wharf has really bad clam chowder, which I don't understand how you gently caress up. Even Cambells in a toasted bread bowl will get a C grade from me. I'll find any reason to crap on SF like a hobo but I'll give them a break on wharf related criticism

7 times out of 10 I'm in SF to meet some out of towners who are going there the first time so 7 out of 10 times I'm eating at some poo poo place on the wharf. I went to some poo poo pizza buffet on the wharf one time and died a little inside

Avoid the loving wharf please.

Fransican crab was alright and the view was pretty fantastic. Way overpriced and I got much better food elsewhere, but if you're there on business and an expense account is paying it works out ok.

That's my San Fran story, thanks for listening.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

how will he be able to gm while playing big 3. this is huge for the killer 3s

Did Gilbert look at Chauncey's Killer 3 lineup and just immediately get on the phone?

A player might be pulled from the big 3 on 3 tournament to go GM a Finals team. Holy poo poo do I love the NBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So far he is right about 2 of those 3 things....

• Locked thread