Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Down goes Frazier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BWV posted:

I'm watching the 30 for 30 on Celtics/Lakers and lol at Phil Jackson even in the 70s dog whistling with his "fans don't want to see show boats, they want to see teamwork."

To be fair that was kind of those Knicks teams' thing, not just Jackson

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Not sure if there's any truth to it but the local ESPN affiliate local guys here in Vegas on the way home were talking about the Lakers offering Russell to the Mavs for the 9th pick and Dallas said no before they moved onto the Brooklyn salary dump deal.

If that's true, isn't that kind of rather damning of D'Angelo that the Mavs would rather gamble on Smith or Ntlinka being better, along with the small chance they might not even get either, rather than have Carlisle try his hand at developing a guy who already has 2 years of experience under shittier coaches and is averaging nearly 16 points/5 assists in the league already?

I think in another year they probably could have got a pick (they apparently shopped DAR to a bunch of lotto teams) but this top-10 is so stacked that everyone wanted to see if their dream guy fell

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I've found it. The worst tweet.

https://twitter.com/theherd/status/877235242507018240

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This is probably gonna gently caress some teams up

https://twitter.com/byjayking/status/877728710073368576

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/albertnahmad/status/877732532237873153

gently caress you Kevin Durant

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the ...

Hornets aren't sure whether they're going to start Dwight Howard over Zeller.

My god, how the mighty have fallen. :stonk:

Partly that, partly because Zeller's a very good modern defender and they rejiggered their offense around him running the PNR with Kemba and Batum. I think they'll basically split minutes depending on the matchup but Dwight will start because he definitely cares more

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

do zellers have a higher combined WS than plumlees

Yes, 32.1 to 30.9

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think that's almost certainly what's going to happen if a trade goes down, and almost certainly Crowder since Phil Jackson loves him

Feel free to empty quote this later but I'll be shocked if this is anything but Phil being a petty, small man trying to show KP who's boss

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Mambold posted:

Malone dominated a 3 time consensus All-American Wayman Tisdale in the NCAA's. OU had better support players, Louisiana Tech were trash. It was obvious from that he was next-level talent, he was a beast. Kobe, iirc, was an unknown child of huge potential except for some tryouts.

Kobe also came out at a time when GMs were still scared to death of high-schoolers, as they probably should have been

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

Portland currently have $140.5m salary on the books for 2017-18. That is $21.5m over the luxury tax and puts them in the highest category of taxpayer $3.75 for every $1 over. So they are currently due to pay TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS* for exactly the same squad that went 41-41 last season and got swept in the first round.

Is anyone going to bite on Allen Crabbe ($74.8m, 4 years) or Evan Turner ($70m, 4 years) packaged with the 20th or 26th pick? Are they even going to have to throw in the 15th pick to move some salary?

*$199.94m to be precise

With a lot of big new-money contracts out there, most teams looking to compete and the cap coming down there might not be many buyers in general

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

If I'm the sixers I might take 15 and crabbe for a late second.

It's close tho. That would limit fa room the next two years . Meh

As far as I can tell salary dump candidates are Brooklyn, Denver, Sacramento and that's about it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

euphronius posted:

He can't go to Brooklyn until July

I just meant in general

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

Kris Dunn for LMA. That's like a top-10 pick last year.

Oh, congrats Suns Fans, maybe (maybe according to Porzingis's Brother)

https://twitter.com/TheMontyShow/status/877895847354146820

I feel like every year some yokel radio host with 5000 followers blows up Twitter but who knows

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Related:

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/877958286636703744

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

Here is the complete list of 21 year olds with around Wiggins usage since 2000
http://www.basketball-reference.com...order_by=ts_pct

As far as efficiency (TS%) he's right around the middle of that pack. He's probably near the bottom of that list in terms of those guys because he doesn't do enough of the other stuff, but those are almost all excellent players and in scoring terms Wiggins is right there with them.

BONUS: KAT is ridiculous.

-0.6 VORP, get that dude out of there

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

VORP is super dumb

I think you'll find if you replace him with -.6 of a D-Leaguer the Wolves would be fine.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Charlotte's #11 plus a young guy and maybe a future pick?

Would be a weird team but probably a 4th or 5th seed in the East

I'd be fine in theory, it'd definitely make things easier to blow up, but Charlotte doesn't have enough money or players to make it worthwhile

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/877975418653081600

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

boxcarhobo posted:

Hey we have the basketball bacon and the football corn, sick. ( real talk can anyone explain frank Jackson for Duane bacon? )

They got cash to move down.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Still playing catchup post-draft: Is there any reason to hope that Monk could spend time at the point? That's obviously where he'd be best defensively but he doesn't seem ready to run the show even in spot minutes.

Once he gets up to speed a Monk/Lamb/Batum/Frank/Zeller second unit with Nic as the primary ballhandler could be really fun but would turn the ball over like mad

MourningView posted:

It sucks that Utah rebuilt about as well as they possibly could have and it's going to fall apart because of lovely injury luck and another team in the conference catching a bunch of breaks to build the best team of all time.

Yeah, it really sucks to see. On the plus side, there are worse pieces to do a soft rebuild around than Gobert

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The 76ers basically abandoned gate receipts for a half-decade in order to slightly goose their chance at being a contender, I think they've proved they aren't cheap

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

I could be a homer about this, but I don't even know if it should be considered "outside" at this point. They have a reasonable shot at the playoffs pending health, largely due to the East going from being a dumpster fire to a disaster this offseason (Bulls and Pacers set to take huge steps backwards, other teams not in position to make much noise). Anyway, they won 28 games last year, it wouldn't be insane if they won 35-40 this year, especially if they do sign a decent veteran.

Ask Wolves fans about this

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ChickenMedium posted:

Sixers play in the East, tho.

41 wins got you the 8 seed in both conferences.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

To be fair, the Sixers were already touted for playing pretty solid defense last year.

Playing two rookies big minutes probably won't help that.

Philly should be a lot of fun to watch next year but expecting to completely revamp the team with a bunch of 20-year-olds and a 31-game superstar and win 41 feels a bit much. Indiana and Chicago probably take a step back but Miami, Charlotte and Detroit are all there waiting

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/serenawinters/status/878366042019381249

https://twitter.com/serenawinters/status/878366473567129600

On the one hand Magic is basically a well-paid hype man but on the other hand it feels like this is going to be hilarious if it doesn't turn out well

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

For the Clippers it only makes sense to either resign both Paul and Griffin and keep this train rolling, or to let both of them walk and probably trade DJ to blow it all up and rebuild ASAP. What would be quite terrible for them is CP3 resigning early in FA, only for Blake to leave for Boston/somewhere else. They'd be stuck in that 7/6/5 seed no-man's land with CP3 on a mega max weighing them down for years.

In the second scenario they'd have a Hall of Famer on a long deal to trade, though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Whats the consensus on Tristan Thompson's contract? Way too much for him, I assume?

I'm imagining a future where the Cavs trade Love for Paul George, then package Thompson and a semi-protected future first for Carmelo Anthony. Depends how much the Knicks hate Melo and how likely he is to pick up his player option

The Cavs could go the Warriors route of having a bunch of ring chasers play the center, then just prepare for an all smallball finals

Also I approve of Love to the Nuggets. They'll be trash, but fun trash

Nah, he's a quality starter and that's a fine deal.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tae posted:

The only bad contracts honestly that were signed before the new CBA were Melo (mostly because of the no-trade clause) and the Hawks Plumlee.

Plumlee's was just last summer as part of the Mozgov/Mahinmi/Biyombo big man gold rush

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Are they going to try to retain MCW at all? I can't imagine the market will be huge for him but teams are always looking for big PGs

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm happy Charlotte did the right thing for once but I'd really talked myself into Mitchell, he comes off great in interviews too. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the best of the Monk/DM/Kennard cluster

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Some extra info on the new two-way deals here. A one-year deal guarantees between $75,000 and $275,000 for the player, they can be included in trades, and teams can submit qualifying offers to players on the deals to officially call them up to the roster. Players also accrue Bird rights while on two-way deals.

quote:

The important note here is the $275,000 figure is not guaranteed. That figure can be earned if said player spends the entire allocated amount of days (45) with their NBA team. The inaugural year of two-way contracts (2017–18 season) will be important in setting the tone for how teams handle the salary figure. Many agents with opt for some sort of “handshake agreement” that their player will indeed be brought up for the maximum amount of days to ensure full earning potential. NBA teams who do not follow this line of thought risk losing out on future two-way players altogether.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Why would they do that? They just drafted French Frank and should be giving him those minutes. I don't understand GM Phil.

From what I understand Frank's going to need to be brought along slowly, and he definitely has the size to play both guard spots. Rubio as mentor then expensive short-term backup seems fine to me, I don't think they have any other PG under contract at the moment

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/879384470108995584

IT getting some Tommy Points for his defense

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Donovan measured 6'3" in shoes which isn't great but with his wingspan and effort seems manageable

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 26, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

predicto posted:

Someone left Draymond entirely off their ballot. Someone left Rudy entirely off their ballot. Someone left Kawhi entirely off their ballot.

5 people gave Russ first team all defense votes. Dame and KAT and IT all got votes.

Next time someone mocks fan voting on anything, remember this.

I mean, the actual list is perfectly fine.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Marc Stein kicking Woj's rear end this whole summer has been fun to watch

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I don't really have a strong opinion on Lavar one way or the other but Lonzo consistently looks embarrassed by the whole circus around his dad and I feel kinda bad for him.

I mostly just wish Lavar was actually funny

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The basketball gods give, the basketball gods take away

https://twitter.com/QCHspencer/status/879722247451226112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hornets have like $5M to spend before they hit the tax and need a big PG that can play next to Monk, but I assume with the youth tax MCW will get more than that

• Locked thread