Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mastershakeman posted:

Has any player besides Durant won a finals MVP immediately after switching teams, either via free agency or trade?

Iggy, maybe?

E; proven wrong

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Important offseason news:

https://twitter.com/NBAcatwatch/status/874666043301670912

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TBeats posted:

The NBA draft for next year is before the MVP announcement for this year lol

Why did they do it like this?

To have NBA coverage during a time there is usually none.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Craig K posted:

go pelicans

We are going to be so underachieving because things will happen that ensure it to be so.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

Easily Kibner, I sent him money on paypal for my all star game ticket before meeting him and got the ticket instead of just losing money to a stranger online.

:3: I try to be responsible with other people's money.

Spacebump and Nick were both cool goons that I got to meet this year and I am thankful for them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ammanas posted:

Should the Celtics make a play for Nerlens Noel?

He's an RFA with Dallas so it would take a lot to get him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Kibner came and had some brews with me and my irl boys and was excellent company. He and his band also played for St. Jude! 10/10 guy would recommend

Thanks to you and everyone else who donated to help make that trip possible, btw! We are losing lots of members this summer to graduation and moving for jobs, so it might be difficult to go again next year, but I'll do my best to try to gather new members and go again because we loved it.

----

Rick, validation on the Lakers drafting prowess: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/nba-draft-data-76ers-bryan-colangelo-win-shares-20170614.html

Basically, they used win shares and expected win shares in respect to the position a player was picked to determine how much a team's drafted players over/under performed their pick slot.

quote:

The Pelicans data is for the team's time in New Orleans, 2003-16. The Hornets data includes the Charlotte franchise from 1989 to 2002 and from 2005 to 2016.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I like that a $120k salary in the bay is equivalent to like a $60k salary in my area in terms of cost of living.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh, my bad. I meant $42k.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Noctone posted:

Oh wow a suburb of Baton Rouge is significantly cheaper to live in than San Francisco, do you have any other hard-hitting news for us?

I was just pointing out the absolutely huge differential. That there is a difference isn't shocking but a 300% difference is notable. And Baton Rouge is even cheaper to live in than Gonzales.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 15, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/875549092981637120

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Strawberry Panda posted:

I think I'll go to Summer League this year. Now to find someone to go with me.

I should be there the first weekend. Visiting a friend of mine that just moved to Vegas.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/solohill/status/876652594063589376

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug88HO2mg44&t=56s

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did Shaq leave Orlando after only 4 years? Was RFA not a thing back then?

Not sure. I'm pretty sure, though, that max contracts were not a thing and Orlando scoffed at the money Shaq wanted.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
lol

https://twitter.com/solohill/status/876909385405956096

https://twitter.com/solohill/status/876912147757793280

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

glowing-fish posted:

Fox Sports has an article about things that could derail a Warriors Dynasty. #2 behind injury, is "all the good assistant coaches leave"

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/golden-state-warriors-nba-dynasty-offseason-062017

I know coaching and support staff are important, but I can't think of any great NBA teams that fell apart because of a lack of assistant coaches, both because it seems like there is a pretty big pool of them out there, and because a championship team is going to be a draw for good staff, even if some of them leave.

The Pels' defense was noticeably worse after Mike Malone left. It would have been bad regardless because of personnel changes, but it was worse than it should have been.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RCarr posted:

This is me.

Don't forget this subsequent tweet:

https://twitter.com/JADubin5/status/877221825331290112

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Ryan Anderson plays 0 defense, correct?

He's an above average post defender. Other than that...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

By the way, incredibly amused that the Wizards got a way better point guard that can space the floor in Frazier for a 2nd rounder while the Bulls gave up almost everything for MCW and Payne

Frazier doesn't space the floor.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Rip campayne i still love you

If you love him so much, why don't you have an avatar of him? :colbert:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

Have you see the Bulls PG rotation

They would have to shoot under 30% to be appreciably worse.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

Have you see the Bulls PG rotation

Payne is an equivalent shooter, Rondo and Grant were better, and MCW was worse.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

He's the only one that isn't the same or better. Frazier wouldn't fix any Bulls PG problem.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Today is draft day goons prep yourself for a dumbass trade

Pels gonna somehow get PG with that 2M they freed up yesterday in that Frazier trade!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Knicks and Lakers have stayed on national TV. I doubt it changes that much.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm looking forward to point Boogie this next season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

xbilkis posted:

Look, I am almost sympathetic to the argument that the Bulls "needed" to hit the reset button. But when you accept that conclusion, you have to look at how they got to this point.

1) Jimmy Butler is 27 years old, is a top-15 player in the league and has only gotten better over the past few years
2) He has two years left on his contract, which is a good value, and wanted to come back

Has a player EVER been traded in that context? If you can't build a good team with a guy like that in your pocket already, you are not qualified to run an NBA team. Things only got this dire because of the incompetence of the front office, and you can't let them get out of it by saying "ah, nothing we can really do now, gotta start all over again."

If a new GM came in and determined the cupboard was too bare to build around Butler, I'd accept that. If GarPax are doing that, why are we assuming anything other than that they're too lazy to do the work to build a real team unless it falls in their laps?

That's basically describing Cousins. lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

is the jimmy trade worse than the cousins trade? i think buddy's better than anything the bulls got back.

LaVine is most likely better.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

R.D. Mangles posted:

lavine with two knees is better, but i'm not bullish on guys whose entire game is freak athleticism coming back from catastrophic knee surgery in the bulls organization

Well, he's also a better sniper than Buddy at this point in time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Carlosologist posted:

If the Wolves sign Lowry or Holliday, does that jump them to top 4 in the conference? I could see it if LA blows up and Utah fails to re-sign Gordon Hayward

No. It would make them strong favorites to make it into the playoffs, though.

e: that may change in like three years, but not next season

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Gingerly

haha, nice

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Fultz would have been a good player to have then!

As would Butler, tbh.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Strawberry Panda posted:

Ainge is trying to build a team for 2020, not 2018. He wants to dominate after LeBron declines.

The way he appears to be building things, by the time the young guns are ready to help, IT and Horford will have already needed replacement. It seems more like he is trying to build a team for 2024.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

Anthony Davis went from low usage defensive big to ball dominant post up scorer in like one and a half years.

He and Monty worked well together.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
KAT plays more center than Dieng, iirc.

E: they need better interior defense more than shooting, imo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

Right

The issue is dieng Rubio and Wiggins

Tho I assume Rubio will be banished by October.

Wiggins makes 3s at about the same rate as Butler.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Djieng shoots it about as well, too. And even better than KAT (at like an eighth of the volume)!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

The Wolves offense improved in efficiency from last year. Like seriously guys, stop suggesting one-way offensive players as the solution to their problems which don't exist

A Tae post I can agree with.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

AD has become better at defense once he basically became a Center.

He still wasn't good at PnR even when he started playing more C than PF like three years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Femur posted:

0 all stars, Conley, is already the highest paid player in the league no?

Cousins, if he had better pr, woulda been supermax. Butler, well the bulls are Sterling clippers, they in this for $$, so they ain't spending poo poo on anything.

When comparing worth vs value, it seems like its always been rare that high paid veteran are worth their salary, because you are comparing them to the younger players that get way less.

SAC didn't want to pay Cousins the supermax or whatever and that is why they traded him. Had nothing to do with his PR.

• Locked thread