Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Now this is just getting silly.

There has been more action in the two weeks of offseason than in a full month of the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

zelah posted:

I care so much. I know Paul Allen's not there, but I keep looking out my window at work at the moda center trying to will him to action. I can't wait for Meyers and Turner to be gone. I'm still hoping they can swing a CJ for a star trade. What's up Kristaps??

I can't wait for Leonard and Turner to be gone. The problem is that Turners contract is so ridiculous that nobody in their right mind would take it without getting substantial assets in return. Giving up some of the picks the Blazers have just to dump salary doesn't seem worth it.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Wow I didn't realize Lopez only averaged 5.4 rebounds per game last season. That's pretty underwhelming for a 7 footer.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Vertical Lime posted:

i think he's banged up

isn't he banged up

I mean he played in 75 games and averaged 20 PPG in 30 mpg. That doesn't seem like he was hurting but I haven't watched the nets this year. I don't think anyone has.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The NBA is drunk again. No way this happens.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah I remember feeling ok in the end about Crabbe. He obviously didn't live up to the contract. I couldn't believe the Turner contract at the time and it's only gotten worse. I really don't see how they sort the cap situation out without trading Lillard or McCollum.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Shear Modulus posted:

could portland also dump nurkic for cap relief now that he's good

He's making like 3 million next year. It's one of the few great contracts they have.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

zelah posted:

I feel like I'm Harkless blind. He seems good and capable of being way better, but I could be making it up.

That's exactly how I feel. There were times last year where he played great and then he would disappear for 5 games. I have no idea what his actual value is.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Michael Corleone posted:

With the West getting stronger, will the Cavs have a chance to get the best record in the league and HCA for the Finals if they try hard? Work hard during the season THEN coast in the playoffs, I think we had it backwards last year.

Why work hard for 82 games to get HCA when you can get it in 48 minutes in the playoffs.

The Cavs are going to coast all the way to the Finals.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Paul Zuvella posted:

What's everyones bar tipping strategy!!! I always bring cash and tip big on the first drink for better service! Heard it here first folks!!!

My strategy is to live in a country that doesn't have a tip culture. You should try it. It solves a lot of problems.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I just Googled him and saw he's 30 years old and went undrafted. Is there a reason why no NBA team bothered with him until now? He's apparently been pretty good for a while now even winning Euroleague MVP.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Apparently Houston, Portland and the Knicks are discussing a trade that would send Melo to Houston, Ryan Anderson to Portland, and Moe Harkless and Meyers Leonard to the Knicks.

I wonder if NYK could be talked into taking Evan Turner and Meyers Leonard instead.

That's a terrible deal for everyone except the Knicks so it won't happen. Portland gains nothing in terms of cap relief and they have to give up Harkless who showed a lot of promise towards the end of last year. Unless Crabbe or preferably Turner are part of the deal it's just not worth it. And Houston obviously loses because... Melo.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

pubic works project posted:

Would Melo start? Cuz if he doesn't, I think it'd be a good deal for Houston.

Only if he's willing to take a pay cut. They would have to dump more salary. As it stands this deal would put them 2 million over the tax and paying Melo 26 million at this point in his career to come off the bench doesn't seem like a great investment.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Melo can't take a pay cut as per the CBA.

Also you are forgetting that Melo would make Harden and CP3 happy.

And paying Melo $26m a year isn't much worse than paying Anderson $20m a year.

That's true and I guess they can easily unload some contracts. It's also not like they'll ask Melo to do much more than take open jumpers and occasionally create a shot for himself. Lord knows he won't play D. The Portland side of the trade still doesn't make much sense to me since it doesn't unload salary and all the contracts still have three years remaining so it's not like Anderson will be off the books quicker.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Was Lonzo wearing the Zo2's? Maybe that's the problem. You know what they say: poor footwear begets poor performance.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

straight up brolic posted:

I loving hate Plumlee but he's pretty good

I liked him back in Portland but at the same time it's undeniable how much better the Blazers became when they shipped him to Denver. There were other factors involved, but teams become better when they ditch a Plumlee.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Dante80 posted:

Re-uploaded a MILKO ad Giannis did, while adding hardsubbed subs for english speakers. Be gentle, its my first time using aegisub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14t2IIvGGmM

That is my new favorite choco drink ad.

Greek chocolate milk does not gently caress around.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

WhyteRyce posted:

Based on my high accurate observations, I estimate that roughly 95% of all BBB revenue comes from 10-12 year old kids buying BBB shirts and hats

When I think of people with a lot of disposable income I think of 10-12 year olds.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Shear Modulus posted:

Team World: One German, one Latvian, one Brazillian, nine Americans

Even team Africa has a German on it.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

What does athlete mindset even mean? And what does that look like?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

"The way I look at it within myself, why not? Why can't I be a bench player in this League? Why can't I be the best bench player in the League? I don't see why-why-why can't I do that?"

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

It looks a little bit like a young Ice T.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I knew buying that jimmer Shanghai sharks jersey was a sound investment.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

WhyteRyce posted:

Russell is Joe Jonas. Lavar Ball might be John Meyer pretty soon

Who is Katy Perry in this scenario? The Celtics? Even though that's not really a rivalry right now.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Cool Buff Man posted:

Shaq's always been the least embarrassing rapper out of all of the NBA rappers, which isn't saying much (Dana Barros anyone) but yeah he's not as bad as he should be

I wouldnt call Damian Lillard embarrassing, the guy has got style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr_Z1J0LE-s&t=160s

But that Shaq rap was pretty freaking good as far as NBA raps go.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Jack's Flow posted:

It's cool you're live streaming all of these games, FIBA, but there needs to be a mercy rule for some of this poo poo.

Take a shot every time Moldova makes a basket.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Is anyone watching this team Africa vs. Team world game right now?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Jusuf Nurkic. I'm sure he learned a thing or two about beating the fear of God into people from his dad.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I always end up staring at IT wobbling back and forth in the background in this gif. It's kind of hypnotizing.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Zogo posted:

Avery Johnson?

Well poo poo. Don't know how I confused those two.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The NBA really just needed to fix the problem of teams resting their stars during big prime time games. This is especially frustrating if you live in Europe like I do. Speaking from personal experience but it was frustrating to get together with friends on a Sunday to watch a game from the day before (no one wants to stay up till 6 am to watch the game live) only to realize none of the big name players played . If this fixes that then good.

I also fully expect Pop to rest his guys just to spite the NBA.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

NickRoweFillea posted:

Jimmer is back

Jimmer unfortunately already signed a deal in China for the upcoming season so he won't be back for at least one more year.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Spacebump posted:

I wonder why Reggie Miller hates video games. I'd take the free money.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Reggie sold his likeness rights exclusively to EA and the NBA Live series.

Can't seem to find any article about it now though.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

All I'm seeing here is that David West should be the focal point of the offense when Curry takes a break.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

euphronius posted:

https://twitter.com/derekbodnernba/status/910555003324166145

The fact they they are talking seems like good news

Are there any rumors about how much they might offer?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The final year will also have to be a player option if they want him to take less money.

This will be a very interesting deal. I wonder how far apart they'll be on the initial offer.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Niwrad posted:

The guy has played 31 games in 3 seasons and is not even cleared to play right now. They obviously have more info on his health situation than we do but I'd take $50-$60 million guaranteed in a heartbeat if I was him.

If the offer is 4/50 million then there is no way that all of that money is guaranteed. I think whatever contract they offer him will be heavy on incentives.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Quizzlefish posted:

I thought a dunk was when you were throwing the ball downwards from above the rim? I.e. no touching needed.

Hence all those Blake Griffin dunks where he doesn't touch it.

It is. Otherwise Dwight's Superman dunk during the slam dunk contest should have been disqualified.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

As a fellow euro that got way into basketball about 10 years ago the best advice I can give you is just to watch a lot of games. The point where you start recognizing individual players and start to gravitate towards certain teams is when you'll know the sport has its hooks in you.

The great thing about the NBA is the fact that a lot of players are very charismatic and outspoken which creates a lot of drama. You'll pick up on that just by reading this thread.

As for basic rule stuff don't be afraid to ask questions, people here are very helpful. It took me longer then I'm willing to admit to figure out what charging and blocking fouls are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

euphronius posted:

I momentarily forgot Boris . My apologies .

Ty Lawson derailed his career with a drinking problem iirc.

• Locked thread