Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Brolander posted:

guess i need a new avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

BWV posted:

Which one of the Warriors really wanted to go to the white house but kept his mouth shut because he didn't want to be a contrarian?

steph

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

I think the one thing I learned from that playoffs and finals is that Kevin love is really good.

He's come a long way since being a 6'5" doofus who gets in the way

He's a legit 6'10" now and is all over that court in positive ways

For the playoffs he shot 45% from 3 on 6.2 attempts and had a 29.7 drb%

his defensive issues are also massively oversold and probably should have far more of the offense running through elbow post ups from him than anything kyrie does. not really a knock on kyrie its just they can and should do more cool offball poo poo with klove initiating the offense cause hes such a threat there

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4caWe7cn9U

both kevins played hard

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the spurs are the warriors except their boring players dont have an insane need to be loved and dont fake a personality

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

evil_cheese posted:

I still don't get how the celtics fans got a rep of being horrible racists more they any other team. Are there horrible celtic fans? Hell yes there are, but every team has some those same people hanging out. Atlanta had their GM talking about how Deng had some African in him. It feels like racism is a problem everywhere but no one is talking about it unless they want to dump on the celtic fans.

the boston=racist stuff is incredibly well earned, even if cool buff man is Cool As Hell

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if crisp haul doesnt go to the spurs he should go to the pelicans

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

dejan literally just acquired a life debt from his posting

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

you are morgan freeman in that robin hood movie now im sorry

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

giannis is insanely close to being a superstar but the rest of that team is just the defensive half of the warriors. their offense is Real Bad

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

something about gordon haward, and kevin love, just make them seem like celtics players

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

That won't happen again with Hayward and Fultz on the team. I'm not saying they'd win the series, but two or three games definitely.

fultz is going to be a rookie, he will not move the needle on the celtics vs the cavs even a tiny bit for several years. rookies are always bad

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

yeah haywards a big get if for nothing else youd get another dude who can create his own shot which is pretty huge in the playoffs. it would also make the celtics the only eastern conference team that could theoretically make lebron play defense

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if he successfully markets people not liking him lavar is a genius

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

mercenary lebron would own. play for the spurs for 1 or 2 years, then join the timberwolves and rekindle that missed connection with wiggins

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Tae posted:

It's hard to judge because Kyrie's never been on a team with more than like 1 good defender for the regular season. I think it's kinda weird how bad Kyrie+Love are when they're on the floor and Lebron isn't.

yeah hes mostly just isoing either way i dont get why suddenly the isos dont work without lebrons encouraging presence

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

BWV posted:

Imagine being so close to the NBA that you call a geezer executive "advisor" moving from one rich and good team to another a "whopper. " I really hope mark stein finds a new job when his contract expires. He needs this.

no dude its a big loss, who will tell the warriors that kevin durant is good now???

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Ammanas posted:

Shrimps, kudzu, racism and a delight in humidity is not culture

bwaaah

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Cool Buff Man posted:

Not as bad as the thread title not being "Is Ian Sjumpert the worst"

mod rename yourself to ian sjumpert then change the title

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

make a markov bot mod, feed it taes posts, have it change the thread title every 2 weeks tia

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

If Draymond could resist his lust for balls for just 48 game minutes, Lebron would be on a four year finals losing streak without having to play a single team with a 5+ SRS before getting there.

this isnt to argue against your point, but the talk of playing low srs reminded me of something i looked up yesterday. Well really it reminded me of this: https://twitter.com/BruhReport/status/874822055723532288

which is hilarious and also made me look up the srs of the teams lebron and mj had played in the finals. The average srs of the teams lebron has faced is 8.201. The average srs that mj faced is 6.84. Mj didnt face a single team with as high of an srs as lebrons average.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 15, 2017

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

That's really funny but tbf to Jordan he had to play 6 5+ SRS teams in the East just to get to the Finals, including 2 years where he had to play 2 such teams in a row, and all his finals opponents were 6+. I don't think he played any teams in the same league as the 17 Warriors, certainly, or even the 15 Warriors and 14 Spurs, but then again Lebron lost to all those teams too. I think Lebron is a better player and perhaps the best ever, but that's not really the point. The point is he's not some transcendent superhuman who can't lose. He loses all the time. Against good teams, he loses more than he wins. Neither he nor Jordan had magic powers, and both lose when their supporting cast is weak. The Cavs are not a great team because they flat out play bad defense. Their supporting cast of vets is cooked. They need to clean house, but that's hard to do.

Superstars aren't always the best, It's a team Effort!

I agree with most of that I just think its a funny number and a far funnier video. i may do my 5th grade level stats analysis and see what the average srs of the teams that knocked out lebron/mj is, considering mj had a lot more short playoff runs than lebron it may also be flattering. I didn't post the individual stuff but its fair to note lebron lost to the worst team(by srs) out of the whole lot, the 2011 mavs

E: all of jordans opponents werent 6+, the last jazz finals they were 5.73

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 15, 2017

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

kobe haircut for the mamba mentality

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

basketball has like a hundred scoring opportunities a game, its nature lets you leverage any talent disparity far more than other sports. its not going to change without some insanely draconian rules and that would not even help the sport. gently caress the warriors and all but watching good basketball is better than watching bad basketball and teams pooling talent means theres more good basketball and less 1 good player and 4 scrubs.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ex post facho posted:

so the answer then is contraction and shorter playoff series

the answer to How Do I Make Less Good Basketball :thunk: i guess

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

BWV posted:

basketball is already good you losers

it freaking owns

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

contraction assumes that the amount of talented people coming into the nba is set in stone and that the # of teams has no impact on the evaluation of talent, and the likeliness of athletes to become nba players. thats pretty naive and unfounded. seems like an insanely simplistic approach to something thats really complicated.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the current long odds against non cavs/warriors teams winning is gonna make the grit and grind dynasty even better

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if the warriors fall apart ill know its cause i was rude to them on these forums

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Niwrad posted:

Basically if your city has to fund an arena with tax dollars, it probably shouldn't have an NBA team.

so no city should have any professional sports teams? hell im fine with having them represent and play in nato allied countries but kanter might have a problem with it

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Niwrad posted:

Plenty of owners have paid for their own stadiums. Usually they are in cities that can support NBA teams through ups and downs.

do you have a source for this cause i dont think its true. its certainly not in the nfl and almost all stadium deals im aware of use some amount of public funds

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

huh, wonder if its cause nba arenas are so much more multiuse than nfl stadiums or the just staggeringly stupid level of greed the nfl has even for billionaires. Good To Know either way.

also the packers stay in green bay cause the city literally owns the team.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

despite TT having a bad finals hes a pretty dang good player and trading the only dude on your entire roster who is a traditional big man and can play the 5 seems not a great idea. especially if the concept is to match up better vs the warriors cause, again this finals notwithstanding(there are two others!!!), TT is good vs the warriors.

Dejan Bimble posted:

There is no PG cavs trade that improves the Cavs, unless it's just loving garbage, ie Iman Shumpert and Channing Frye plus a future second round pick for George. That makes them an even better offense and a better defense. More Lebron rest. Never going to happen

yeah i agree with this, losing TT/love compromises them so much that they would need an additional starter quality big from somewhere and i dont get how they get one? it would need to be actual garbage the pacers were willing to take.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lady deserves a dang medal for agreeing to live in ohio for this long. even when lebron played in miami they lived in loving ohio jfc

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

kevin durants pbj sex cocoon doubles as a gas chamber

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i was hesitant to click on a klay thompson video cause it is generally preceded by "hes So Zany And Likeable!!! :xd:" and then its him being an incredibly boring, swaggerless dude who no one should ever speak to but i trusted in you and you delivered

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

that teams only gonna be a real contender when butlers the 2nd or 3rd best player anyway. if that happens when hes like 31 thats totally fine? and basketball players primes last awhile its not a big deal. dudes only 27

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

Only two years left on his deal which means only one real year unless he commits to resigning. They didn't give up tons but Man dsj would look great on this team.

why would you define a window based on the end of a contract when the team can easily re-sign him? theres absolutely no reason to think hes going to bolt from a team with at least 1 legit superstar in the making and the coach he loves. why do you think hes leaving? and if you don't think hes leaving how is the end of his contract relevant in any way ?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

Why do you think he's staying in minnesota. He's made no comments about it .

?? so i have to assume hes leaving? what on earth. prove your point dont demand that i disprove it

e: also i mentioned in that post why he would stay but dont answer a dang question with a question incredibly rude imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

My original point was supporting why minne may be in win now mode. No one has any idea if butler is resigning. I doubt butler knows .

if thats your point you have to assume hes leaving which is an absurd assumption like 2 days after he got traded. if no one knows hes leaving its impossible to argue that the end of his contract is meaningful in anyway? the default position is for him to re-sign. he would need a reason to leave.

you just vaguely referenced an absurd hypothetical as fact. its an impossible position to argue against cause its entirely made up

• Locked thread