Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i cant tell if im being trolled or if you just wildly teleport between hypotheticals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

The butler forward guy. Heyword or whatever his name is . He's top 20? Going to leave Utah . Blake is probably going to leave the clippers. Paul George is going to be off the pacers. Lebron left the cavs and left the heat . Memo left Denver.

If you asking me if butler could possibly leave Minnesota then yes I think it's possible.

its not that its possible or not, for your position to make any sense, that their window is closing it has to...you know. actually be closing????? so he has to be leaving. you are asserting as fact that you know jimmy butlers mindset 2 years from now about a team no one has seen play together.

euphronius posted:

I don't think it is absurd to think a top 10 player would leave a bad team in free agency no.

and now you know that team is bad??? whats the future like

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

euphronius posted:

I may have said their window is closing please don't quote that post.

yeah im just being super aggressive and roundabout in saying that i think an idea that needs to assume a good player is gonna leave a very well positioned team is probably just wrong. if the twolves see themselves as win now they are very dumb

Niwrad posted:

Like even if Jimmy leaves, Minnesota missed out on overpaying LaVine, having the Finnish Bargnani, and watching Dunn play himself out of the league for a couple more years.

yeah getting the chance to spend lavines money on jimmy butler is a better option even if at the end of the day they get neither is a decent way to look at it.

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 25, 2017

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

so.... no?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

AggressivelyStupid posted:

All of those people can finish at the rim, something Rubio cannot do

and equating that one year of cp3 shooting 32%(which is still higher than rubios career 3p%) from three when hes a career 37% shooter from 3 is hilarious. yeah people didn't kneejerk react to one bad year shooting? what does that have to do with 6 years of bad shooting

Metapod posted:

The best way to describe rubio is that he is the ultimate wingman. He goes to the club and is unable to score for himself but his friends that came along with him all score with ease cause Ricky is able to set up his man perfectly where he's able to get the easy finish

his assist% this last year was just above jeff teagues. over the span of his career hes just ahead of lebron which is good but hes all alone in the top 10 as a dude who cannot finish even a little bit. would you take good deron williams, delete all of his other skills besides passing and call him a good player?

I do agree with this:

Lockback posted:

I think Thibs would like to swap Rubio out but he isn't going to dump him, that's pretty clear. Rubio's production vs contract is pretty positive and he isn't going to get salary dumped or even given away. You aren't going to sign a better PG off the street for 14 mil a year.

A lot of people think quality of a team is proportional to their 3p shooting exclusively so I understand why people who don't watch the Wolves at all would get bad opinions on Rubio.

that this thread tends to overrate 3p% like thats the only thing that defines spacing when it absolutely is not. its within the realm of possibility to create a lot of space without being a good 3pt shooter, thats just the easiest and most common way. rubio having no ability to finish makes this seem almost impossible but it could theoretically be true.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Lockback posted:

That wasn't the goalpost. Rubio is also much better at setting up his teammates than those guys (except CP3). But if you want a good example that Rubio is able to run a good NBA offense?

He ran a good NBA offense.
actually no, all of : westbrook, cp3, wall and rondo are better setup men than rubio

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=XmTQ4

and tony parker is in the neighborhood. i think theres a disconnect between how nice rubios passing looks and how many baskets he actually makes for his team. "worse" passers can make as many baskets for their teammates by virtue of actually needing to be guarded unlike rubio who barely even needs someone to rotate on him when hes right infront of the basket undefended.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

The Process is the best nickname in sports tho

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

mcmagic posted:

KP is going to stay for the 250M, not cause he wants to stay.

It's the only POSITIVE thing he did for the Knicks. Everything else he did was a complete disaster.

I'm not siding with Dolan, it's just best for the team if he's not there and waives his NTC.

if you think thats the best thing they should buy him out. im not sure why its melos job to save dolan money?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Trust me. I can give two shits about Dolan's money. I would just like to see the team get some sort of value back for him...

theyve spent what feels like 3 years but is probably less trashing him AND he has a huge contract. who is giving up a lot for that lol. if anything they might have to pay to salary dump him. the only thing waiving the NTC does is save a dipshit a load of money who no one anywhere, and least of all melo, should feel some kind of special loyalty to

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Paul Zuvella posted:

Carmelo has expressed time and time again that his preferred outcome is to stay in New York with his family and play basketball for the Knicks.

The Buyout talks are because he wants to stay in New York and they don't want him to Melo is not some money grabbing, hand rubbing dude who is demanding to be bought out. He's a dude with a NTC saying "Hey if you want me gone so much then buy me out".

The situation you are describing literally doesn't exist.

melos been secretly in a holdout for well over 5 years, it was a risky move to give a new contract to a man who only exists in the cyberworld but i think it pays off

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

a convergence of guys with dick centric games was bound to happen

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Rad Valtar posted:

Chris Paul is a really good player and maybe it's just me but I don't see how he fits with Harden who controls most of the ball. The styles don't mesh.

they both have great jump shots and staggering minutes for 2 dudes is really easy. they should be able to play together fine

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

can blake actually dribble well enough to be a point forward i feel like that idea just gets thrown out there cause hes a good passer and isnt huge

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Kibner posted:

Yes, he can.

e: the only better dribbler on the team now is like, maybe Lou Will

insane disrespect to jamal crawford

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

fast cars loose anus posted:

I've had some time to think about this and I have come to a further conclusion: this sucks

Someone convince me this isn't the trade that will ruin Morey's reputation forever because goddamn is it shamefully bad imo

Old-rear end man Chris Paul isn't helping us beat the Spurs much less the Warriors

chris paul is not particularly old and is still solidly in his prime for a few more years. and its likely even just out of his prime 34 and 35 year old chris paul will be very very good

the age curve for stars in the nba is not that severe

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

adding a second insanely good player doubles the amount of insanely good players on your team. a massive improvement in Insanely Good Players. maximising your IGPs is how you win in the nba

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Ammanas posted:

If the rockets don't get a 3rd star player they will have destroyed their cap & roster (Beverly and Lou Williams were incredible values) for zero chance at winning wcf. I hope they get George or Milsap but Carmelo would be super super funny

Noctone posted:

"Whoa I dunno if trading forgettable role players for a still-in-his-prime Hall of Famer is gonna work out."

-An Idiot

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i just dont understand how turning these bad players into this once in a generation player could help the rockets????? theyve sabotaged themselves for Decades

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

almost all of the recent champions involve a top player learning to work better with equally skilled ball dominant players. i guess the lebron cavs teams stretch the concept of equally but hey what are you going to do. they don't even have to work well together, they could literally just alternate isos and there would be more than enough possessions. the kd/russ thunder basically did that. it only really becomes a problem if you have 3 people who need the ball and cant play offball.

pat bev is basically the perfect just a guy PG for a good team but he does literally nothing better than cp3. hes not even more annoying than him

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

any big who can run, jump, and dunk is going to play insanely well with arguably the two best pnr guards in the nba, in an offense that creates a ridiculous amount of space. CP3 was putting up double digit assist numbers on a team with meh spacing from playing 2 bigmen and luc mbah a moute

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

whats the risk? 2 ball dominant players can work fine together even without good offball games, and both players can easily work offball. is the risk that patrick beverly suddenly becomes a top 5 pg all time? that massively upgrading their team might not win them a championship at the cost of....absolutely 0 part of their future?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Lockback posted:

Salary dumping Ricky Rubio then signing Rondo, notable for having the same strengths and weaknesses as Rubio but just worse, would be pretty depressing.

rondo is a far better finisher than ricky rubio

E: rondos last year was his worst fg% within 3 ft. it would be ricky rubios 2nd best

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Adun posted:

Ainge is doing a terrible job of valuing his draft picks, which I think is pretty stupid. Paul George is an All-NBA (at worst All-Star) player. The probability of him resigning, even if we conservatively put it at 25% (which I think is ridiculously low if he went to the Celtics), is much higher than the probability of getting similar value from a future draft pick.

Having the guy on a 1-year contract also gives you a ton of flexibility for the next year.

this is from forever ago but yeah, about the worst possible thing the celtics could do from their incredible position is use all their draft picks to draft players. the only way those picks end up being better expected value is if they luck out and get a 1st overall.... which they did and then immediately traded it for more picks cause i guess danny ainge just really wants to draft a bunch of random rookies as if his team was the process 76ers and not the 1st seed with a ton of room for growth.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

white lebron gonna learn how to win rings in the same place Lebron Classic did

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

verbal enema posted:

"Shumpert, one of the best on-ball defenders in the game today, has become a fan-favorite to many of the Cavaliers faithful. There is no doubt his presence in the locker room, as well as on the floor, would certainly be missed should he be dealt away."

Don't sell Shumpert Cavs :cc

shumperts not actually a particularly good defender. hes fine at it, about as good as earl when earl is trying, but man hes a bad player

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

PJ tucker is a known Lebron Stopper and thus a great signing

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

rjmccall posted:

You can always go over the cap to re-sign your current players. For filling in, the Dubs have one exception at $5.2 million and everything else will have to be at minimum.

Durant and Iggy alone will put them somewhere around $10-15 million over the luxury tax threshold with only 10 players on the roster.

im almost sure this is wrong. you need some kind of bird rights to do this, no? the warriors dont have that for kd

the reason they can do it is cause they do have bird rights on curry and his cap hold is based on his previous contract(since he hasnt officially signed one yet i think) which was astonishingly low. they get right up at the cap with durant, then sign curry with bird rights and they are done. they should also have bird rights on iggy. some cap wizard check me imo

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if the warriors break the cap rules steve kerr will pay for kevin durant himself

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

they cant spend that money on anything else, hes still a good shooter, and its probably like a year and a half too long but i dont think they make contracts that just say When You Fall To The Inevitable Doom Of Age You Don't Count Against The Cap Anymore

The Glumslinger posted:

Its MLE money and I don't really think he is worth that anymore, especially considering how far into the luxury tax they are

he shot 45% from 3 last year, hes exactly the kind of player that is worth it to a lebron team.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, and his defense was so bad, they could barely play him in the playoffs

man i think this has been said about every single player on the cavs except lebron and im pretty sure yall are gonna say it about him next cause it makes about as much sense as when you said it about kevin love

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the Hes Just Doing Whats Best For His Career!!!! takes seem ever stupider and stupider the more kd does things.

golden states getting like 40m dollars extra in favorable contracts next year its absurd

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

saving on a tax bill increases their window by several years, it could entirely be because of that yes.

kds the 2nd best player in the nba, on the best team of all time, and is about to take a 10m+ dollar paycut to save his billionaire owner some money and its somehow only going to be the second biggest bitchmade move of his life

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Carlosologist posted:

KD a fool but no one will care if he signs his max next year so idk all the handwringing about this

torpedoing every single other players bargaining position is not a good thing, and everyone thought he was going to take a max or close to this offseason but instead hes taking a 10m dollar paycut so???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBQ2mjkvYY8

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

predicto posted:

All that talk about how happy he is with the Warriors organization and his teammates might be true.

:rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

predicto posted:

How else do you explain it?

is there a :rolleyes: that vomits other rolleyes can it be called :warriorsfans:

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hrrm im not sure why this guy is actively torpedoing his own career earnings but...wait no ive got it!!! he rightfully recognized that my favorite sports team are the good guys!!! thats it!!!

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ragle posted:

maybe Durant can make up that money and then some in endorsements by being on a championship (contender) team for longer :monocle:

its true, theres a rule you dont get endorsements unless you save your billionaire owner X amount of dollars and actively work to undermine the labor of your fellow players.

predicto posted:

Being the target of yet another one of your shitposts is a badge of honor my friend

i cant tell if you are so full stop retarded you actually think a dude signed with your team for a huge paycut cause of The Patriot Way or not. all signs point to retard tho

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

predicto posted:

KD probably has more money than Lacob does unless Lacob cashes in by selling the team. Most of Lacob's assets are smoke and mirrors that are going to go poof when the tech bubble enters its next deflate cycle.

ITT predicto actively argues that a Professional Sports Team Owner is actually, really poor lmao

Wont Someone Think Of The Billionaires

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

leftist heap posted:

He;s not wrong tho. Lacob is a pretend billionaire

hes absolutely wrong and is espousing the idea that labor is the one that gets rich while Poor Poor Capital must impoverish themselves to keep up with their lavish demands. is predicto a sentient turn of the century political cartoon??? its impossible to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

predicto posted:

You really are a tremendously unpleasant poster who makes far more than your share of personal attacks on other posters. I'm just telling you in case you don't realize it.

Anyhow, here's a tip: people who already have nearly 200 million dollars in the bank, like KD already does, can afford to do things that others can't. Taking a 10 million paycut for one year so that he can keep a good deal going for longer, in a place that he apparently likes to be, with people he apparently likes to be with, is one of those things.

it really is a travesty of etiquette when other people will respond to your attacks with attacks of their own. if only i knew my place like kevin durant i guess

• Locked thread